IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I bow to Greg (the real admin)
Problem was still there.

Dammit.

An emergency call to a sick coughing weak Greg was required. Well, I dunno about required, but I sure was in trouble.

5 minutes of talk. 10 minutes of pacing as Greg cogitated and researched. 5 minutes of talk. Not really.

He said: "Type this"
I said: "Yes Sir" tappyty tappyty

And it was fixed.
Maaaaaggiccccc.

5 more minutes of talking, I hung up to announce the joyous news, ok people, go get your email.

And the joyous response was: WTF? Where the hell did all this spam come from?

Ok, not so joyous.

And those smart phones, they don't like scrolling through all that spam.

Ok, so as not to bother the real admin, I went wandering through the files that he remote controlled me through, found the appropriate spot to hack into, fixed it.

Maaaaaagggggiiiiccccc.

And now we've bought ourselves a bit of time to work on the new server.

Thaks Greg
New Well, IMO...
I'd Go with a Debian based "STABLE" release. I 'm on Sid... and have always been. No problems for me. But you aren't me.

That means it is either Ubuntu 8.04, or... Ubuntu 10.04... scary.

I'd setup the same thing you did before. Its easy enough.

Personally, I'd go with Ubuntu 8.04.latest... and a wait 'til Ubuntu 10.04.01 (SP1) comes out.

It should be a well tested (by Ubuntu) upgrade from 8.04.latest to 10.04.1

Use all the same pieces... I still like exim better than postfix, but either will do.

Courier everything except the MTA. Things work a treat. Spam Assassin latest. ClamAV latest. Amavis latest.

Things are just good. The only thing you need to do is do updates regularly... do the -d only in the background via cronjob... and then have it send you an e-mail when it has critical updates.

Then you can stay up on the thing. Not many things have broken once working on Ubuntu (during LTS support length)

If you want specifics, let me know. I can help you out on Debian-based or RHEL/CentOS based system.

One thing you should know, a lot of "Debian Based" distros are switching back to Debian Proper. Ubuntu has become a morass with some issues, but "server version" isn't the reason... slow responses on Desktop/Workstation issues.
New Debian stable + courier is a good combination.
If it's really courier as your MTA, you can very nearly pick up /etc/courier and put it on your install. Viola! Configured! Though I'd still check each file, anyway. Courier is very easy to configure.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Ubuntu server is too damn stable - (crazy) - (3)
         I bow to Greg (the real admin) - (crazy) - (2)
             Well, IMO... - (folkert)
             Debian stable + courier is a good combination. - (static)

Dubplate pop out a mash up di dancehall. Crowd de pon di receiving end dema a bawl.
64 ms