I'd Go with a Debian based "STABLE" release. I 'm on Sid... and have always been. No problems for me. But you aren't me.

That means it is either Ubuntu 8.04, or... Ubuntu 10.04... scary.

I'd setup the same thing you did before. Its easy enough.

Personally, I'd go with Ubuntu 8.04.latest... and a wait 'til Ubuntu 10.04.01 (SP1) comes out.

It should be a well tested (by Ubuntu) upgrade from 8.04.latest to 10.04.1

Use all the same pieces... I still like exim better than postfix, but either will do.

Courier everything except the MTA. Things work a treat. Spam Assassin latest. ClamAV latest. Amavis latest.

Things are just good. The only thing you need to do is do updates regularly... do the -d only in the background via cronjob... and then have it send you an e-mail when it has critical updates.

Then you can stay up on the thing. Not many things have broken once working on Ubuntu (during LTS support length)

If you want specifics, let me know. I can help you out on Debian-based or RHEL/CentOS based system.

One thing you should know, a lot of "Debian Based" distros are switching back to Debian Proper. Ubuntu has become a morass with some issues, but "server version" isn't the reason... slow responses on Desktop/Workstation issues.