IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dumb SQL question
I've got a table listing subscribers. It contains subscriber_ID, list_ID, email, and IP. I need to update all instances where list_ID = foo and IP = bar to the IP for the same email where list_ID = baz.

Here's what I tried:
update

subscribers s1
set IP = (
select IP
from subscribers s2
where
s2.email = s1.email
and r2.list_ID = 'baz'
)
where
s1.IP = 'bar'
and s1.listID = 'foo';

MySQL responds:
ERROR 1093 (HY000): You can't specify target table 's1' for update in FROM clause

MySQL doesn't allow updating a table that is also used in a subquery. I know there's a workaround, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.
--

Drew
New My lazy way
Do a temp table build, then update from that.
I hate any type of correlated subquery and will move away from them unless required (for a particular poor transaction engine).
New You have ...
..."non lazy" ways? ;-) (nudge)
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Depends
If I needed to update 50MM records in oracle, and I was worried about rollback / undo segments, and I was worried about speed, I'd do an PL/SQL bulk update in batches of 50,000 records.

Of course, it took me about 3 days to figure out an acceptable method of easyness and speed. I'd then write a Perl scripts to generate the PL/SQL and run it, wrapped in some decent reporting. Which then turned it into a simple perl script that said:

ora_update.pl --target_table=emp --source_table=emp --tmp_table=tmp_data --from_field=source_data --to_field=dest_data --join_key=emp_idx

Then I'd never need to think about it again, at least until someone asks how I'd do it.

You get the idea.
New Maybe not so simple then
I assumed this was an easy thing to do. Guess I'll do the temp table. This is a one-time maintenance job (yes, really) so I won't need something fast or repeatable.
--

Drew
New Did you try a self-join?
It feels wierd the first time you do it, but when it works you start wondering what all the fuss was about.

update
subscribers s1
inner join subscribers s2 on s1.email = s2.email and s2.list_ID = 'baz'
set
s1.IP = s2.IP
where
s1.IP = 'bar'
and s1.listID = 'foo'

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Not yet, but about to
This is what happens when you don't write code for a while. You forget the elegant way.
--

Drew
New And then there is the (ugly) semi-manual way
OK, I know this is half a year old and solved already, "done and dusted". Just thought I'd contribute this other technique that can be useful in all situations like this: Run the Select first, written to give you a bunch of single-line update statements; then take the output from your select and run that. Something like, say:

select 'update subscribers set IP = ' || IP || ' where email = ' || email || ' and list_ID = ''foo'';'
from subscribers where IP = 'bar' and listID = 'baz';

Here's the "(semi-)manual" bit: Now copy the lines from your SQL output window into your SQL input window and click "Run as a script" (or whatever your equivalent is), and you're done. Heck, you can make it even more manual if you want to: Having trouble getting those apostrophes/single-quotes right around the "foo" bit? Just write "*&%#@*" in stead of ''''foo''' in the select statement, run it, then paste the whole resulting shebang into a text editor and do a global search-and-replace (replace "*&%#@*" with "'foo'"), before pasting the corrected result into your SQL command window and running it.

Not for the Crazed One's 500 M rows, of course, but for anything up to a few thousand...? Heck, yeah -- what you lose in execution time is more than made up for by the coding time you save by simplifying the task this way. It's "Old-school hot-rodding applied to SQL RDBMS": It's an ugly kludge, but it works, and it's fast. :-)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), same old GMail.
New This is also good for invasive updates.
You know the sort: lots of rows to change and no downtime available. The advantage is that lots of small UPDATE statements won't prevent the site running normally.

Wade.

New That's my kind of ugly
I've done more maintenance that way than I care to remember. (And obviously more than I did remember at the time I was asking.)
--

Drew
New It's also an interesting lesson in pragmatism.
Whilst it has it's own kind of elegance, a lot of purist programmers will cringe at this solution. They would prefer Leveraging The Power Of SQL directly, which ignores, however, the real-world issue that the database can't be unavailable for an hour whilst your big, clever query runs to completion...

Wade.

New I've done round trips mySQL -> vim -> PHP -> mySQL
Run a query and grab the output.

Search/replace in vim.

Save as a PHP script that issues updates in batches of n.

I've done this to move sites to new servers when the respective mySQL boxes couldn't talk to each other.
--

Drew
New Another batching method
One thing I've done when I had to update a lot of live records and I wasn't concerned with rolling them back is to create an update that works in little chunks. Use whatever option your SQL system has to limit the number of rows updated/deleted, such as top in TSQL. Then stick the whole thing in a while loop that does the SQL, sleeps for a few seconds and then loops as long as their are any rows to process.

Here is one I used to delete out all the detail records for one very large contract from a live system. Slightly altered to protect the innocent. The loop breaks when it runs out of records because @@ROWCOUNT records how many records the last update/insert/delete affected in TSQL.

While (1=1)
Begin
delete top (10000) from spot where contract_id = 1234;
if @@ROWCOUNT = 0 break;
-- wait 10 second between loops to relieve congestion on the server
WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:10';
End

Not exactly the same problem. I did this because doing a delete more then a million rows at once was just clogging up the transaction log and slowing everything to crawl. However, with a bit of string manipulation and exec you could use this solution to scale your method up to the really big problems.

Jay
     Dumb SQL question - (drook) - (12)
         My lazy way - (crazy) - (3)
             You have ... - (beepster) - (2)
                 Depends - (crazy) - (1)
                     Maybe not so simple then - (drook)
         Did you try a self-join? - (static) - (1)
             Not yet, but about to - (drook)
         And then there is the (ugly) semi-manual way - (CRConrad) - (5)
             This is also good for invasive updates. - (static)
             That's my kind of ugly - (drook) - (2)
                 It's also an interesting lesson in pragmatism. - (static) - (1)
                     I've done round trips mySQL -> vim -> PHP -> mySQL - (drook)
             Another batching method - (jay)

This is only a test.
81 ms