IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Depends. Don't assume so much.
http://www.washingto...006060400965.html

The taxes paid by immigrant households in the Washington region are on par with those paid by native-born Americans, although immigrants here illegally pay less, according to a study being released today.

Overall, area immigrants pay nearly one-third of their income to the government -- at least $10 billion a year -- but those here illegally pay less than $1 of every $5 they earn in taxes, the report says. That is partly because they earn less but also because many are paid off the books and escape payroll taxes.

The study, by the nonpartisan Urban Institute, provides the most detailed snapshot yet of tax payments by the region's immigrant population, which the report says shot up from 870,000 in 2000 to 1.2 million in 2004. The income and tax landscape it reveals is unique to the Washington area, where the foreign-born population -- much of it drawn by think tanks, embassies and the high-tech industry -- is more diverse and wealthy than it is nationwide, the authors say. Here, relatively large populations of Asians, Middle Easterners and Europeans pay more taxes than most native-born Americans, helping offset the low tax payments of illegal and poor immigrants, the study found.

[...]

<~ 33% vs <~ 20%.

So, they do pay taxes. Maybe not enough (like others who are "off the books".) People with fake SSANs may pay taxes that they will not be able to collect in benefits.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who thinks that if someone needs treatment and they're here, they should be treated. Other countries seem to be able to do that without issues...)
New chuckle
so, add sales and use, prop tax embedded in rent, road tax in gasoline price, etc and SURE they pay taxes.

Which tax will be used to fund healthcare?

Payroll.

Which one does over half of undocumented NOT pay at all.

Payroll.

Nice try there.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Health insurance for those people
is actually a good idea. It's a public health question. Denying health care to folks like that can really up the vulnerability of the population during health emergencies... and the thing is, you have to give them the care before the emergency to get the benefit during the emergency.

It's in your interest that those people get decent care. I just can't understand why Americans don't get that.
New Not saying that it isn't
Simply don't understand the reasoning given by the congresscritter for not supporting her party's plan.

If its a tax supported plan and more than half don't pay into that tax, her statement doesn't make sense.
New This doesn't deal with taxes I think
IIRC, a clause was put in the Senate version as part of the filibuster wrangling that bars undocumented aliens from buying insurance through the exchange with their own money. I assume that is what her reasoning is about.
New that makes more sense
and makes the senate version pretty stupid on that point
     Huh? on healthcare - (beepster) - (7)
         Depends. Don't assume so much. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             chuckle - (beepster) - (4)
                 Health insurance for those people - (jake123) - (3)
                     Not saying that it isn't - (beepster) - (2)
                         This doesn't deal with taxes I think - (scoenye) - (1)
                             that makes more sense - (beepster)
         FWIW, he's on board now. - (Another Scott)

The only time I forgot to breathe I was on LSD, codiene, sangria, and whippets.
68 ms