Traditionally, stocks are made with herbs and spices. NO SALT. You usually reduce or dilute your stock to your purpose; you don't include salt which gets overpowering if you are reducing a stock for a sauce.
This does not take anything away from your original point (if I understood it); salt is in all standard cook books and it isn't going away. Cooks can play with recipes, especially if cooking for people with ailments. I got used to cooking without salt for my inlaws when they were still alive. They were both low sodium requirement and ethnic Italian with a huge craving for salt. Still, and all, salt is the cheapest flavor enhancer there is and it still remains a necessity for life.
When I was in cooking school, Loretta Paganini, constantly berated me for not using enough salt. If you want to pass the tests, you are required to use salt. Otherwise, corrupt gas bags should eat what they want and let the rest of us go to hell in our own way (If you are a Republicrat. you don' get to grouse about who pays for a pantleg statistical guess on who pays for it...)