IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's exactly the point.
The 'trick' is that car-makers are just starting to do it in a car. Years after loco makers implemented it.

What made me realize it was, of all things, a Challenge in a recent Top Gear. The boys were callenged to make an electric car. After a bit of faffing around with just batteries, James May eventually added a small diesel generator, with the comment that that's how trains do it.

Some of the other non-Prius hybrids made a bit of a point that the internal combustion engine only powers a generator, but (typically) the motoring journalists haven't twigged as to why this is such a good idea. Yet. Clarkson was full of genuine praise for May's addition and this may be enough to wake some of them up.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New I remember posting on ezboard
a special forces vehicle that looked like a go kart on steroids that ran exactly that way. The tech has been around a long time.
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New It is remarkable...
Diesel generators for Data Centers as backups... are surprisingly efficient.

So much so, that I know of a couple that use it as a part of their "green push", rather than the Turbine Jet Fuel powered ones.

Of course, you only can get *so far* with Diesel as a Generator, once you get to certain point... (around 7000-10000 cu inches) the sheer weight of the engine becomes prohibitive.
     fuel injection to get 64 mpg - (boxley) - (28)
         Updated Pogue technology... - (Another Scott) - (24)
             Re: Updated Pogue technology... - (boxley) - (23)
                 It's even more difficult than in Pogue's day. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                     Re: It's even more difficult than in Pogue's day. - (boxley) - (21)
                         That's a diesel. Different beast. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (20)
                             internal combustion engine :-) -NT - (boxley) - (19)
                                 I very carefully said "gasoline engine". - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                     True dat. - (static) - (16)
                                         How is that last one a "trick" - (drook) - (15)
                                             I'm pretty sure that's what the Volt is doing - (SpiceWare) - (11)
                                                 Nit: What the Volt *would be* doing if they ever shipped it -NT - (drook) - (10)
                                                     Have I missed something? - (SpiceWare) - (9)
                                                         Latest word is late 2010 - (drook) - (8)
                                                             the chevy link has "2011 Volt, November 2010 release" - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                                                                 Bogus numbers - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     not that many willing customers - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                                                                         "GM believed"? - (drook) - (3)
                                                                             businesses make that decision all the time - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                                                                 You're not hearing what I'm saying - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                     guess we'll see in 7 months -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                                                     Well.. that's.. Beep'nBox's rilly-Freeish Market Inaction - (Ashton)
                                             That's exactly the point. - (static) - (2)
                                                 I remember posting on ezboard - (boxley)
                                                 It is remarkable... - (folkert)
                                 Thermodynamics is Hard - (Ashton)
         More at TTAC. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             best comment for me - (boxley) - (1)
                 I like these. - (Another Scott)

Ruh-roh...
51 ms