IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New iPad it is.
Sounds interesting.

http://bits.blogs.ny...-announcement/?hp

And now we’re going to dive into the specifications. Half an inch thin. Weighs 1.5 pounds. 9.7-inch IPS display — super high quality, great angle of views, Mr. Jobs says.

Full capacitive multi-touch screen, same as the iPhone — “super responsive, super precise,” he says.

The iPad is powered by Apple’s own custom silicon, he says — a 1 GHz A4 chip,, 16 GB of memory, 32 or 64 Gigabytes of storage.

There’s Wi-Fi, 802.11n, and the latest Bluetooth. (Apparently no 3G wireless, notes my colleague John Markoff.) Accelerometer, compass, speaker, microphone.

I haven't seen a price mentioned yet.

No camera either, apparently, so they can add that in a later version.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Cynic
There's no camera, because no one wants video photos on a Nano iPad.
--

Drew
New :-) Pioneers get to live without features and pay more.
New Prices.
Available in 60 Days

Update | 2:25 p.m.
bstone6 (2:20:08 PM): The first iPads will ship in 60 days, with 3G models taking another month.

Price Ranges From $499 to $829

Update | 2:20 p.m. And now: price.

“When we set out to develop the iPad, we not only had specific technical goals and user interface goals, but an aggressive price goal, because we want to put this in the hands of a lot of people,” Mr. Jobs says.

Mr. Jobs says Apple has met its cost goals: The iPad’s pricing starts at $499. (Which means, at the very least, there is little reason to buy the much more limited Amazon Kindle DX.)

For $499, you get you 16 GB of storage, with WiFi built-in. For $599, you get 32 GB of storage. For $699, you get 64 GB of storage.

The 3G models cost an extra $130 each.

So all told, there are six models of the new iPad. The most eexpensive 64 GB model, with 3G, costs $829 plus the monthly charge.

Not cheap, but not too bad. $700 for an ultralight laptop with decent storage.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who hopes this will put pressure on the price of the 13" MBP, but doubts that it will...)
New the $699 one...
Is equivalent to what I got with my Dell Mini9. (I paid a total of almost $650)

Except for the Multi-tasking. And the in-ability to use a usb device. (IE my CDMA Verizon Dongle)

The keyboard dock is perfect.

10 hours of use... plus 1 month standby... I think ARM vs Intel is already won. Intel is headed down, unless they can seriously improve power usage.

Content is king and its a war between Apple and Google. Microsoft is on the wrong boat heading the wrong direction and taking yahoo and many other companies with it... in to the depths of the sea with a sinking ship.

As my boss said... "not like Balmer is going to inspire a following."
Expand Edited by folkert Jan. 27, 2010, 03:27:05 PM EST
New That must be some Mini! :-)
[edit:]

If I'm reading the NYT story right, it has 16 GB of RAM and 64 GB of "storage". If the PC makers and Microsoft weren't so brain-dead about protecting their margins on laptops and PCs, they would have made a Mini with that much RAM long ago, rather than forcing them to be limited to 2GB. If companies don't eventually kill off their profitable products, their competitors will.

Yeah, multitasking is going to be an issue, I think. I gotta figure that the software and hardware are capable, or soon will be. Steve thinks ahead...

Dunno whether Palm will make one last gasp and try to get WebOS on a similar tablet soon, but that might be an opening. They tried once with the Foleo, but couldn't build a critical mass - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Foleo (and it didn't run WebOS). It's probably too late unless they find some magic niche that Steve didn't.

Interesting times.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Jan. 27, 2010, 05:20:20 PM EST
New Re: That must be some Mini! :-)
That's probably 16-64 GB of storage.

Like the iPhone, the tech specs page doesn't mention how much system RAM. I'm sure that'll be revealed by somebody in the near future.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Glad to see the iPad Camera Connection Kit at the bottom of the page - with that I can easily see having a desktop Mac for the home and an iPad for when traveling.
New Good point.
I was wondering why it would have so much RAM if it were a SuperSized iPod Touch.

Sorry, Greg.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: That must be some Mini! :-)
This is a computer for people who neither know nor care about computers. Multitasking, lack of Flash, removable batteries, etc, are all non-issue for these people. They want to do these things on their computers just about as much as they want to upgrade their fridges or washing machines. Remember "Aunt Tillie", who the fool Raymond used to blather on about? Well, her computer just turned up.

If you can make a list of things that the iPad doesn't do, and you understand the words in that list, then you're not in the target market.

I cannot conceive of a circumstance where I'd use an iPad where I wouldn't be happier with an actual laptop. But then the thing isn't aimed at me.

It's been really funny, this past couple of days, watching the geek community running round, getting itself in a lather over the limitations of a product that's just about as aimed at them as Windows XP Starter Edition.
New I don't think that's entirely fair.
First of all, it's the part of the geek community with a) too much money and b) less clue than they think they have (well, probably) who Apple are targetting in this first release.

And then, in the broader sense, Apple is targetting *everyone*, many merely by extension. Quite a few commentators in recent years have noticed Apple's predilection with the App Store and its gated software community. Some have even noticed how OS X-land doesn't have that. Yet.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Wonder how sturdy the keyboard dock is
It looks nice, but it doesn't look lap-stable. Especially not if it only works in portrait mode.

With most of my work living on a server somewhere else, all I need is a terminal with SSH, and a good browser. This would look real nice in my living room.
--

Drew
New thought so too
it does support a bluetooth keyboard
New Not to be a party-pooper...
But I think I'll put my money on Google. If nothing else, Android trying to nip at Apple's heels will help both companies.

I got to share my HTC Hero around the other night and watch some friends find the games. Completely intuitive - just as much as with the iPhone. And remember it's running Android 1.5 + HTC Sense. Newer stuff is icing, really. I like that it can play Ogg Vorbis - so I've resurrected my .ogg archive and put my MD player on holiday. Next: moving all my passwords from my Newton...

OTOH, there have been attempts to put Android on a bigger screen, with mixed results. Maybe this is that Google really need to achieve for Android 3.0.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Why the Apple tablet will change the world. - (Another Scott) - (35)
         Imagine this interface - (crazy)
         as a replacement to the legal pad sure, I can see that - (boxley)
         iPad it is. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             Cynic - (drook) - (1)
                 :-) Pioneers get to live without features and pay more. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Prices. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 the $699 one... - (folkert) - (8)
                     That must be some Mini! :-) - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         Re: That must be some Mini! :-) - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                             Good point. - (Another Scott)
                         Re: That must be some Mini! :-) - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             I don't think that's entirely fair. - (static)
                     Wonder how sturdy the keyboard dock is - (drook) - (1)
                         thought so too - (SpiceWare)
                     Not to be a party-pooper... - (static)
         Yes, I will be getting one -NT - (Bman) - (2)
             NOOOO. You are kidding. - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: NOOOO. You are kidding. - (Bman)
         15 minute interview with John Gruber - (SpiceWare)
         I'm wondering... - (folkert) - (2)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Or ChicAAAAAgo -NT - (drook)
         Stephen Fry pipes in - (SpiceWare) - (11)
             Everyone keeps saying "No Flash" - (drook) - (10)
                 YouTube switched to H.264 a while back - (SpiceWare) - (8)
                     Thanks for the pointers. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Looks like Vimeo is switching as well - (SpiceWare)
                     HTML 5 video and H.264. - (static) - (5)
                         Re: which way Microsoft jumps - (folkert) - (2)
                             ... so you think they'll ignore the <video> tag? :-) - (static) - (1)
                                 Video playback *should* be done by the OS IMO - (drook)
                         For the reasons you mention... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             I wonder if they're trying to rope MPEG-LA into the fray. - (static)
                 Re: Everyone keeps saying "No Flash" - (pwhysall)
         it's for the masses - (SpiceWare)

I see mass suicides and riots in the future as every urkel fashion sense inspired computer nerd throws down their oxy pads and mutters, "enough is enough," then takes to the streets, scsi cards in hand, and it will be dark, dark day indeed my friend.
255 ms