IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The article covered that pretty well
At the time choices were being made, those in power wanted something that generated fuel for bombs. The fact that it also generated tons of long-term waste was inconsequential.
--

Drew
New I don't think it's that simple.
Water cooled reactors are much simpler and generally safer over time than those cooled by liquid metals or liquid salts. Metals corrode and weaken in such harsh environments - even special alloys. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near something that has hot HF vapors, myself, even if the radioactive footprint is less... http://en.wikipedia....Hydrofluoric_acid Oh, and thorium is carcinogenic, too - http://en.wikipedia...._biological_roles - so the dangers of increased thorium mining need to be considered as well.

Hyman Rickover was most interested in a safe reactor - not coming up with a design that gave fuel for bombs.

http://en.wikipedia....Hyman_G._Rickover

[...]

As head of Naval Reactors, Rickover's focus and responsibilities were dedicated to reactor safety rather than tactical or strategic submarine warfare training. It could be argued that because of Rickover's singular focus on reactor operations, and direct line of communications with each nuclear submarine's captain, that this acted against the captains' war-fighting abilities.

Such a claim, however, does not hold up well in consideration of the highly-classified national security accomplishments of the submarine force, such as are allegedly chronicled in Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage. Moreover, the accident-free record of United States Navy reactor operations stands in stark contrast to those of America's primary competitor during the Cold War, the Soviet Union, which lost several submarines to reactor accidents in both its haste and chosen priorities for competing with superior U.S. technology.

As stated in a retrospective analysis in October 2007:

"U.S. submarines far outperformed the Soviet ones in the crucial area of stealth, and Rickover's obsessive fixation on safety and quality control gave the U.S. nuclear Navy a vastly superior safety record to the Soviet one. This was especially crucial as in a democratic society, particularly after the Three Mile Island nuclear power station crisis in March 1979, a host of nuclear accidents or well-publicized near misses could have shut down the nuclear fleet completely."[26]

[...]

Given that he got Rickover's role so wrong, I don't trust much else about the Wired story myself. YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 'The Day We Almost Lost Detroit'
re a breeder experiment early-on, though it's been a long time since I read that er, potboiler.

Breeders in general -- remind me of Controlled Fusion (so far: cha cha cha)
Temps inside challenge any combo on the Periodic Chart re stress, flat-out disintegration, and the like.
Think too about super-heated liquid *Sodium; never mind the Rads/cubic-parsec. Whom would I trust even to 'operate' such an infernal machine? No homo sap I've seen or imagined, thankyouverymuch.

Hey, why not put it next to a big lake, and when an aging hi-pressure pipe ruptures . . .
We be so silly.
New A good book, but a little over the top, IIRC.
"We Almost Lost Detroit" - http://www.amazon.co...f=tmm_hrd_title_0

I remember using it as a reference for a report in high school.

My personal feeling is that the Fermi accident - http://en.wikipedia....enerating_Station - was overblown in the book. Yes, it was serious, but Detroit wasn't nearly lost.

Breeder technology is neat, and may be ultimately be necessary for sustainable electric power, but there are an awful lot of materials science issues that need to be resolved to make it robustly safe. Using a liquid metal that is extremely corrosive, burns in air, reacts with water to give explosive hydrogen gas, etc., etc., is a scary thought. http://en.wikipedia....al_cooled_reactor

But beyond that, there are political and proliferation issues. Once a technology is developed, it eventually permeates throughout the world. How would we feel if Iran or North Korea had a few dozen breeder reactors???

Cheers,
Scott.
New well since the french havr been using breeder reactors for
years its probably a matter of time before NK gets one
New Are the current ones better?
I'm not saying all the issues you list aren't real. But are they worse than what we're already doing?
--

Drew
New Dunno.
I haven't kept up with the technology. Lots of progress in materials has been made over the years, and lots of new prototype designs have been worked on for the last 30 year or so. The problem is that many of the real-world problems don't show up until you try to build a full-scale power reactor.

My main point is - there's no silver bullet. If thorium-based or breeder reactors were as great as the Wired story implies, they would have been built. There's not some grand conspiracy by the bomb-makers that suppressed them, but rather real technical, budgetary and arms-control - http://en.wikipedia....r_Breeder_Reactor issues.

Cheers,
Scott.
New they have been built, not would have been built
use something other than global warming religion's website for research would you?
http://hyperphysics....ucEne/fasbre.html
France has made the largest implementation of breeder reactors with its large Super-Phenix reactor and an intermediate scale reactor (BN-600) on the Caspian Sea for electric power and desalinization.
New France hasn't built one since the 1980s.
Superphenix was shut down in 1997. http://en.wikipedia....%C3%A9nix#Closure

Power production was halted in December 1996 for maintenance. However, following a court case led by opponents of the reactor, on February 28, 1997 the Conseil d'État (Supreme State Administrative Court) ruled that a 1994 decree, authorizing the restart of Superphénix, was invalid. In June 1997, one of the first actions of Lionel Jospin on becoming Prime Minister was to announce the closure of the plant "because of its excessive costs". Jospin's government included Green ministers; pro-nuclear critics have argued that Jospin's decision was motivated by political motives (i.e., to please his Green political allies) rather than rational considerations. However, the reactor did not produce electricity most of the time in its last ten years because of malfunctions[4] (in fact it was consuming substantial power to maintain sodium above melting temperature).

Superphénix was the last fast breeder reactor operating in Europe for electricity production. According to a 1996 report by the French Accounting Office (Cour des Comptes), the total expenditure on the reactor to date was estimated at 60 billion francs (9.1 billion euro).[4]

Yes, people can and have built them in the past - including in the US. To date, they have seemed to be very expensive experiments and uneconomical. Superphenix seems to have been an expensive space heater....

Cheers,
Scott.
New What was the record of the first non-breeder reactor?
The first iteration of any new technology has problems. Assuming, as the article claimed, that the two technologies were both considered viable options, the considerations seem to have been:

Thorium -- Comparatively cheap, more controllable (assuming significant materials science development solves corrosion issues), comparatively minor waste containment issues

Uranium -- Much more expensive, difficult to control the reaction, major waste containment issues, produces weapons-grade output

With today's world-view, everything about Uranium reads as a negative. But during the height of the cold war, when we subjected our children to duck-and-cover drills, weponization was seen as a good thing ... as long as it was us doing it and not them.

If all the money spent on current nuclear technology had instead been spent on thorium, you don't think we'd have improved the efficiency compared to the French example?
--

Drew
New Good points. Dunno.
It's hard to predict technological breakthroughs. ;-)

I count ~15 thorium-fueled reactors here - http://en.wikipedia....m-fueled_reactors - the largest being 330MW-electric. In my looking around, it seems that 500-1000MW-electric plants fired by coal are common, so that even a 330 MWe plant was a small one.

(Note that some of those plants were designed to produce plutonium, and they use different reactor designs. Their main commonality is the use of thorium. Only the MSRE at Oak Ridge seemed to use the technology that's the subject of the Wired article.)

Thorium technology has been tried many times, in many countries.

Given that people have worked on thorium fission reactors since at least the 1960s, and only a few small ones are in operation now, it doesn't seem like an approach that will quickly yield major dividends. By all means, continue to do research. We should have our eggs in as many baskets as possible. But don't ask me to support billions or tens of billions for another US nuclear demonstration power plant before you can show me that the problems in the earlier plants have been solved - e.g. see http://en.wikipedia....enerating_Station - over the long term.

Ultimately the technology has to be affordable over its life-cycle.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Current nuclear tech isn't "affordable over its lifecycle"
First, all prior spending is already amortized. Second, much of the research money came from DoD (or was it still Department of War?). Third, we still haven't spent enough money to figure out what to do with all the waste.
--

Drew
New Yeah.
But these experimental reactors are even more expensive. E.g. the Superthingy in France cost over $9B Euros.

I wasn't counting the waste processing issues in my thought experiment - I was thinking more about the life of the plant itself.

The economics of nuclear is a complicated topic that depends on a whole mess of assumptions - http://en.wikipedia....her_power_sources But when many/most of these experimental reactors are shut down after only a few years, and often produce little if any electric power due to engineering issues, then I think a reasonable person can conclude that they're too experimental right now (or in the near future).

You may be right that they would be farther along if the AEC and NRC and so forth spent more money on development. We'll never know. But since we know a lot more about the problems with nuclear power now than we did in the 1950s and 1960s, since the federal government isn't dumping vast amounts of money into nuclear R&D any more, and since the public is not sold on the need and benefit/risk equation for nuclear, it's a tougher row to hoe now than it was then.

It would be different if we could say, "Look, we spent $100B on nuclear power research in the 1950s-1970s, we learned all the issues and have this great, safe, cheap, reliable power technology that just needs some tweaking before it's ready to go. We're 95% of the way there!" But it doesn't work that way. We learned a lot about stuff that doesn't work. There are still complex issues that need to be solved and it's going to cost a lot of money to get to the point where we have reliable power reactors based on a new fuel technology.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: A good book, but a little over the top, IIRC.
Breeder technology is neat, and may be ultimately be necessary for sustainable electric power, but there are an awful lot of materials science issues that need to be resolved to make it robustly safe. Using a liquid metal that is extremely corrosive, burns in air, reacts with water to give explosive hydrogen gas, etc., etc., is a scary thought.

Petrol has a similar list of unpleasant attributes, but we manage that OK. It's just a case of ensuring that people can make money out of it, and that the rules dealing with the handling of coolant are sensible and robust.

It's just technology. It can be managed.

If NK had a few dozen breeder reactors, they might start accidentally giving their people electricity, which would lead to some of them getting satellite (or other) internet, and then the slow decline of the current regime would begin.

I don't believe that Iran is anything like as much of a threat as NK, for the simple reason that it has a large, educated, affluent middle class that likes a nice standard of living, and that will act as a significant passive moderator to anything really silly that the administration has in mind.
New Good points.
You seem to have more confidence in management than me, though. ;-)

Seriously, as I said above, breeders may ultimately be necessary. I don't think that we're (the USA is) anywhere close to ramping up production of new nuclear power plants, though. We haven't done enough of the engineering necessary to make it cost-effective or to know if it can be made cost-effective these days.

Maybe the EPR will be great, maybe not. http://en.wikipedia....essurized_Reactor

Cheers,
Scott.
     thorium reactor anybody? - (boxley) - (16)
         Atomic Airplanes! - (Another Scott) - (15)
             The article covered that pretty well - (drook) - (14)
                 I don't think it's that simple. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                     'The Day We Almost Lost Detroit' - (Ashton) - (12)
                         A good book, but a little over the top, IIRC. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             well since the french havr been using breeder reactors for - (boxley)
                             Are the current ones better? - (drook) - (7)
                                 Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                     they have been built, not would have been built - (boxley) - (5)
                                         France hasn't built one since the 1980s. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             What was the record of the first non-breeder reactor? - (drook) - (3)
                                                 Good points. Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Current nuclear tech isn't "affordable over its lifecycle" - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Yeah. - (Another Scott)
                             Re: A good book, but a little over the top, IIRC. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Good points. - (Another Scott)

I don’t need to see anyone celebrate breaking a huddle…
74 ms