IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, some o' us luvs ya..
As a refreshing change from the polished, homogenized so-as not-to-offend Anyone (and piss off legions) - smarmy uniform voice-inflections of our infamous Talking Heads (Corp Tee Vee, Govmint or Pundit).

Funny thing tho - Brit-speak, especially the Royals' highly-refined skewed vowels and such -- seem about as grating, for being so obviously a product of the Class madness from all that History. Dunno about Oz and environs: are there remaining echoes of (intentional) Class-speak -- such as determine one's fate in your own Corporate orthodoxy?

(My guess.. would be - that the origins of your locals, bein er anti-Authoritarian! - to say the least - might have attenuated this preposterous habit of evaluating individuals on the basis of voice-nuances. Is that Pollyannish of me?)

Ashton
New Well, I dunno.
BBC English, which is accepted as The Right Way To Speak It, doesn't grate on me at all. What the royals and the aristocracy speak is hyperlect, which most definitely isn't correct English ("I shall take these trisers into the hise.")

As for my accent grating, well, you'll just have to ask Karsten about that :-)

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New BBC fine - yup, that other's the Royal-speak which grates.
New It's all about broadness
Of the accent, that is. If any 'class' was to be derived, that's how it'd be done. Umm... very rough way of working it out - the broader your oz accent, the longer it takes you to say 'yeah'. :-)

But then again, just because you're talking to someone who's wearing stubbies and a singlet, and draws out his 'yairs' to five seconds, doesn't mean they're not a multi-millionaire. there was a quote from someone famous along those lines - something like 'Say you meet an Australian and he's wearing a pair of shorts and a moth-eaten t-shirt, dishevelled and looking like tramp. He may be a tramp. Then again, he may be a multi-millionaire'.

I've not met too many millionaires, but I can vouch for that statement - lack of pretence is a Good Thing.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     How To Speak New Zullander - (static) - (11)
         Funny - I read 'em all out aloud, and... - (CRConrad) - (10)
             Grrr! :-) - (Meerkat)
             Here's a tip. - (static) - (1)
                 Farscape - (Silverlock)
             Re: Funny - I read 'em all out aloud, and... - (pwhysall) - (6)
                 Get 'em both to say 'sixty-six' and listen closely. - (Meerkat) - (5)
                     Well, some o' us luvs ya.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Well, I dunno. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             BBC fine - yup, that other's the Royal-speak which grates. -NT - (Ashton)
                         It's all about broadness - (Meerkat)
                     Possible exageration ahead. - (static)

Do you plan to call me on your camera next?
47 ms