IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But both servers think they serve the same domain
Still working on a few other things, but I'm pretty sure I can use the IP when I get to this one.
--

Drew
New IMAP doesn't care.
I've written IMAP servers. There is no 'virtual host' mechanism for IMAP like there is for HTTP. Connect to the servers however it makes sense for the client and you're good to go.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Yup, churning away now
Set the second one up by IP. Copying/moving from the old to the new. Time to find out if the read/unread flag moves with it, or if everything gets marked read in the move. I'm assuming IMAP figures that out properly.

Man, this is slow.
--

Drew
New IMAP Keeps what the Clients sets.
Whatever client you are using to move the mail is the important part there.

Remember, you are moving the mail twice.

Personally, if you have the IMAP dir on your own host... I'd tar and scp the file up and do it once.

But then, I'm a sysadmin, not a "pretty much user".
New Don't have access to the source
I also don't trust Evolution to download everything, since it's got that reported bug. I'm showing 221M in my local imap dir, but my old host is reporting over 450M.

So I just grabbed a bunch of folders and dragged them over to the new account before dinner. It's still grinding.
--

Drew
New Re: Don't have access to the source
Evolution now stores in SQLite format.

Much more betterer on disk space and quickness.

I've only had Evo screw up on me... 7 or so years ago. Mostly my own doing.

I've used Evolution nearly continuously since then. Thunderbird IMO SUCKS!
New No, IMAP-to-IMAP transfer is safer.
The IMAP protocol is actually quite rigid and rather unforgiving of mistakes.

IMAP isn't an on-disk format. Tarballing the directory would only be effective if the mail engines are identical. This means both the delivery agent *and* the IMAP server: I know Courier's IMAP server stores information in the Maildir directories that other Maildir-aware IMAP servers will probably not know about.

In fact, rsync would be better than a tarball because the file-timestamps would then stay correct.

Wade.

New Re: No, IMAP-to-IMAP transfer is safer.
Oh I know that IMAP is a protocol.

I just use courier-imap server to courier-imap server.

Also, Drew, you could have setup your destination machine as a mail client and did the work with something like Mutt, so it only gets transferred once.
New If I cared about fast or efficient, sure
But since I was setting up two accounts in Evo anyway, drag and drop -- as slow as it is -- works just fine for me.
--

Drew
New Could they be "clever" on the back-end?
I switched the Evo setup to use IPs, and starting moving mail. Everything looks good. Then I updated the DNS and sent a test, and it went to the new inbox. Still good.

Then I went to move the last couple of folders, and it started getting flaky. Not always pulling up the message bodies, but not always failing either. I saw a message flash past in the status bar about problems reading 'imap.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com', but the Evo setup isn't using the subdomain any more.

Is it possible I'm hitting it via IP, but the server is redirecting based on DNS?
--

Drew
New It would be very difficult.
It is possible for some of the authentication mechanisms to use the 'name' the client is using to connect, but this would be an unofficial extension. IMAP doesn't otherwise use the hostname the client is using as part of the communication.

There's no also no redirection mechanism. The best it can do it say "no such mailbox" along with an IMAP 'comment' requesting you use a different server. Exchange's IMAP connector does this if you connect to the wrong mailstore, but I don't know of a client that can read this and 'fix' the account. Any workable 'redirection' mechanism would require the server you connect to to proxy the protocol to another server, so you wouldn't notice anyway.

I'd be inclined to think Evolution is making some guesses that it maybe shouldn't be doing. Shut it down - and it's client backend - and give it another go. It is extremely unlikely to lose email in this sort of malfunction as the protocol makes this difficult.

Wade.

New Yep, IMAP seems pretty durable
It looks like Evo was choking on my large mailbox and slow connection. After several restarts I finally got everything. Or at least close enough to everything that I haven't noticed any problems yet.

I took this opportunity to clear out a bunch of old stuff that I was keeping "just in case". I need to start doing what the real-estate company I worked for did: File everything by "keep until" date. If that date comes and something is still in the file, toss it.
--

Drew
     Anyone got a good "how to move email" howto? - (drook) - (21)
         Re: Anyone got a good "how to move email" howto? - (folkert) - (14)
             Only one problem ... well maybe more than one - (drook) - (13)
                 A hosts file is fine. - (static) - (12)
                     But both servers think they serve the same domain - (drook) - (11)
                         IMAP doesn't care. - (static) - (10)
                             Yup, churning away now - (drook) - (6)
                                 IMAP Keeps what the Clients sets. - (folkert) - (5)
                                     Don't have access to the source - (drook) - (1)
                                         Re: Don't have access to the source - (folkert)
                                     No, IMAP-to-IMAP transfer is safer. - (static) - (2)
                                         Re: No, IMAP-to-IMAP transfer is safer. - (folkert) - (1)
                                             If I cared about fast or efficient, sure - (drook)
                             Could they be "clever" on the back-end? - (drook) - (2)
                                 It would be very difficult. - (static) - (1)
                                     Yep, IMAP seems pretty durable - (drook)
         What Greg said. - (static) - (1)
             Evolution will be fine with thousands of messages. - (pwhysall)
         That was my tech-career ender - (mhuber) - (2)
             Good thing he said "we" -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 "we" didn't get fired. -NT - (mhuber)
         Why did I wait so long to do this? - (drook)

We've spent the past two years building up an immunity to Iocaine!
60 ms