IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So...
You'd prefer to take extended medical leave and cut in pay (due to time off) and months of waiting and pain... just to not deal with a Chiropractor.

Amazing.
New Pay cut for time off?
Not in my world.

6 months full pay, 6 months 75% pay, 6 months half pay.

Plus insurance, if necessary.

And yes, no quack is coming near my spine.

Not amazing at all.
New Wow, can *I* live in your...
world where someone has decent labor laws and public health care?

You obviously don't understand that health coverage in the US is not in any kind of way, that which can be called "sane and practical"

So, you'd *STILL* go through months of pain and suffering to avoid the Chiropractic Dr. You are something else.

Oh, is your face hurting you?

Cheers.
New It's made-up bollocks.
So yes, I'll be avoiding the made-up bollocks, if it's all the same.

I'll be going to one of those actual doctors who does actual medicine. If he says he does chiropractic, I'll be asking for a doctor who doesn't. What with it being made-up bollocks, and all.

And no, my face isn't hurting me.
New It's good for some things.
One has to be selective...

http://en.wikipedia....ic#Evidence_basis

A 2008 critical review found that with the possible exception of back pain, chiropractic SM has not been shown to be effective for any medical condition, and suggested that many guidelines recommend chiropractic care for low back pain because no therapy has been shown to make a real difference,[11] but a 2008 supportive review found serious flaws in the critical approach and found that SM and mobilization are at least as effective for chronic low back pain as other efficacious and commonly used treatments.[96] Most research has focused on spinal manipulation (SM) in general,[97] rather than solely on chiropractic SM.[15] A 2002 review of randomized clinical trials of SM[35] was criticized for not distinguishing between studies of SM in general, and studies on chiropractic SM in particular;[98] however the review's authors stated that they did not consider this difference to be a significant point as research on SM is equally useful regardless of which practitioner provides it.[97]

There is a wide range of ways to measure treatment outcomes.[99] Chiropractic care, like all medical treatment, benefits from the placebo response.[100] It is hard to construct a trustworthy placebo for clinical trials of spinal manipulative therapy (SMT), as experts often disagree about whether a proposed placebo actually has no effect.[101] The efficacy of maintenance care in chiropractic is unknown.[16]

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who would put going under the knife as the last resort.)
New On the other hand...
http://www.senseabou.../site/project/380

In 2001, a systematic review of five studies revealed that roughly half of all chiropractic patients experience temporary adverse effects, such as pain, numbness, stiffness, dizziness and headaches. These are relatively minor effects, but the frequency is very high, and this has to be weighed against the limited benefit offered by chiropractors.

More worryingly, the hallmark technique of the chiropractor, known as high-velocity, low-amplitude thrust, carries much more significant risks. This involves pushing joints beyond their natural range of motion by applying a short, sharp force. Although this is a safe procedure for most patients, others can suffer dislocations and fractures.

Worse still, manipulation of the neck can damage the vertebral arteries, which supply blood to the brain. So-called vertebral dissection can ultimately cut off the blood supply, which in turn can lead to a stroke and even death. Because there is usually a delay between the vertebral dissection and the blockage of blood to the brain, the link between chiropractic and strokes went unnoticed for many years. Recently, however, it has been possible to identify cases where spinal manipulation has certainly been the cause of vertebral dissection.

Safe to say I'm in Dr Singh's camp on this particular subject. Actual medicine, although not risk-free, isn't the metaphysical bunfight that is "alternative" medicine.

I too would put surgery as the last resort, but if I'm going to have my spine twatted about with, it's going to be by an osteopath, wot dun his buk lernin' in a propa medikul skuul.
New Interesting. On the other other hand...
(It would have been better if he had given a cite for that 2001 study.)

Someone asked the NewScientist about cracking knuckles. http://www.newscient...ts-the-crack.html

• The sound is caused by a bubble of nitrogen gas forming in the joint. This occurs through a pressure drop which is created when the joint is forced to the extreme of its range of motion. After the "pop", the joint capsule is temporarily enlarged, which also increases the neural firing in the joint's proprioception receptors. These signals transmit over the local nerve root. This increased neural activity inhibits pain signals from smaller nerve fibres in the same dermatome - the area of skin supplied by the same nerve root.

The only known effect of repeated joint-popping is in the joints of the spine, and results in a reduction in the financial content of the patient's purse: chiropractic spinal treatments rely on eliciting the sound - and offering brief relief - but later when symptoms recur (presumably as the gas is reabsorbed) the cyclic need for treatment resumes.

Don L Jewett, Professor Emeritus of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, US

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who had relatives who swore that visiting the "bone cracker" helped them, but has never been himself.)
New Not liking their methodology
A 2002 review of randomized clinical trials of SM[35] was criticized for not distinguishing between studies of SM in general, and studies on chiropractic SM in particular;[98] however the review's authors stated that they did not consider this difference to be a significant point as research on SM is equally useful regardless of which practitioner provides it.

Supposing for the sake of argument that it is possible for someone be helped via chiropractic SM. Wouldn't you expect variability in outcome depending on the skill of the practitioner? I don't think you'll ever find a study saying a practice is effective, if they include in the study practitioners who don't know what they're doing, and may do more harm than good.

Imagine a study of heart surgery where half the practitioners in the study were not trained surgeons. What do you think that study would show?
--

Drew
New The Wikipedia links are to letters to a medical journal.
97 and 98 are links to the same series of letters. You can read the back-and-forth here - http://annals.org/cg...int/137/8/701.pdf (9 page .pdf). They specifically say:

We agree that many of the randomized trials we described were on spinal manipulation rather than specifically on chiropractic manipulation itself, but we believe that this is not a significant point. Chiropractors use all forms of manipulation. In the United States, more than 90% of all spinal manipulation services are provided by chiropractors, and research on spinal manipulation, like that on any other treatment method, is equally of value regardless of the practitioner providing it.

I don't know enough about the subject to say whether that's a sensible argument, but the rest of their letter seems to me to be a very weak defense of chiropractic medicine. Perhaps it's just a 'lucky accident' that manipulation seems to work for back pain (at least in some cases, at least temporarily), and they should drop the rest of the old mumbo-jumbo.

Cheers,
Scott.
     "chiropractic is a threat to public health" - (drook) - (19)
         Why would you? - (pwhysall) - (13)
             Ok, what about Chiropractic Osteopathic Sports Doctors? - (folkert) - (10)
                 What about them? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     So... - (folkert) - (8)
                         Pay cut for time off? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Wow, can *I* live in your... - (folkert) - (6)
                                 It's made-up bollocks. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     It's good for some things. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                         On the other hand... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Interesting. On the other other hand... - (Another Scott)
                                         Not liking their methodology - (drook) - (1)
                                             The Wikipedia links are to letters to a medical journal. - (Another Scott)
             chiropractic: one man's story - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 the price of meat has just gome up and yer ol lady etc -NT - (boxley)
         depends on the quackopractor - (boxley)
         There's only one thing it's good for - (malraux) - (3)
             Here's an apocrophy then - (drook) - (2)
                 He could have opt-ed for... - (folkert)
                 No, that goes under "misaligned vertabrae" - (malraux)

I don't think these were sliced from anything.
58 ms