IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New WTF?
Are you deliberately ignoring the context? I don't exactly call it "cartwheels" when someone is quoted out of context as saying "A", but they really said "you could argue for A, but I don't think it's right".
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New full context
The most aggressive approach, which is more than a default rule, is called routine removal. Under this regime, the state owns the rights to body parts of people who are dead or in certain hopeless conditions, and it can remove their organs without asking anyone's permission. Though it may sound grotesque, routine removal is not impossible to defend. In theory, it would save lives, and it would do so without intruding on anyone who has any prospect for life.

Although this approach is not used comprehensively by any state, many states do use the rule for corneas (which can be transplanted to give some blind patients sight). In some states, medical examiners performing autopsies are permitted to remove corneas without asking anyone's permission. Where this rule has been used, the supply of corneal transplants has increased dramatically. In Georgia, routine removal increased the number of corneal transplants from twenty-five in 1978 to more than one thousand in 1984. The widespread practice of routine removal of kidneys would undoubtedly prevent thousands of premature deaths, but many people would object to a law that allows government to take parts of people's bodies when they have not agreed, in advance to the taking. Such an approach violates a generally accepted principle, which is that within broad limits, individuals should be able to decide what is to be done with and to their bodies. (Page 177).
This read "we should do A but people would not accept it"
New The full full context.
http://nudges.wordpr...-organ-donations/

http://www.nytimes.c.../27view.html?_r=1

(AFAIK, Thaler is the one who's written these sections on organ donation. Thaler is Sunstein's co-author on Nudge.) They don't think every organ belongs to the state...

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The full full context. Perfect examples
The state owns your organs unless you explicitly opt out
New No, that is *not* how it reads
Legitimate science depends on discussing all options. The only two places where I see any mention of what "should" be done are the phrases "may sound grotesque" and "violates a generally accepted principle". That sounds more like "should not".

===

Dammit, how did this forum show up? Can anyone tell me how to set the timestamp for "Mark Read"?
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Oct. 13, 2009, 11:26:16 AM EDT
New Re: No, that is *not* how it reads
I think this is what you're looking for:

http://iwt.mikevital...amp=1999999999999
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Thanks
--

Drew
New Uh, no.
Last line. Unless you're deliberately misreading that.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     regulatory tsar, "Sate owns you organs" - (boxley) - (21)
         WTF? - (malraux) - (7)
             full context - (boxley) - (6)
                 The full full context. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: The full full context. Perfect examples - (boxley)
                 No, that is *not* how it reads - (drook) - (2)
                     Re: No, that is *not* how it reads - (mvitale) - (1)
                         Thanks -NT - (drook)
                 Uh, no. - (malraux)
         Oh, BS - (crazy) - (10)
             No response I see - (crazy)
             Didnt know you really wanted an answer - (boxley) - (8)
                 Nice try - (crazy) - (7)
                     okay, keep him hooked up until he passes by himself - (boxley) - (6)
                         Hmm - (crazy) - (1)
                             well, some places make soup - (boxley)
                         Define "death" - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Re: Define "death" - (boxley)
                             It's the killer, isn't it? - (crazy) - (1)
                                 death is not defined by the dead, but the living - (boxley)
         Sloppy even for you - (Silverlock) - (1)
             eyes are going south -NT - (boxley)

Shpongle.
56 ms