IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Keep your superstitions in the correct forum please.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New There is a phrase that says
where science ends, religion begins.

There are some things about this universe that science cannot explain. Such as love, or any of the other emotions. We can only measure it by contrast to other things, but we cannot truely understand it or predict it. Science still holds onto the "random chance" theory of life coming to be. But life, apparently, is so complex that it wouldn't happen by chance because of a random spark of energy fusing into some carbionized ooze.

But still, keeping on the subject of interbreeding, wouldn't all human beings or pre-human beings progress at the same rate and adapt to their environment? Would there really exist two different species of pre-human beings at the same time? If so, could we have some post-human or rather homosuperior (Mutants, from Marvel Comics?) species walking around that some normal humans may be mating with? Is that why our kids are now getting smarter, getting stronger, and getting bigger? Or at least some of them are, and most of them are not? My three year old is about the size of a six year old, and very strong, and very smart, and if he gets any bigger or smarter, I may have to call in professor Xavier to check out my son for possible mutation? ;)

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New .."not available in stores!"______so sez the suprahuman LRPD
New Love
Give [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393318486/qid=1015575267/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_67_2/104-8298377-3432719|How the Mind Works] by Steven Pinker a read for one possible explanation of why we love, among other emotions.
--
Chris Altmann
New Can we not have this debate here again?
If you have basic questions on the topic, I would ask that you visit [link|http://www.talkorigins.org/|talkorigins] which is a website that grew out of the newsgroup talk.origins which is definitely the right place to discuss this.

Therefore I will only quickly address your points.

First of all the theory of evolution (how existing life adapts to changing circumstances) is a separate scientific question from the question of abiogenesis (where the first life came from). While abiogenesis is not well understood, it is safe to say that the various Creationist representations on its likelyhood are ridiculously inaccurate.

As for interbreeding, research in the last 30 years on modes of evolution point to significant changes tending to take place in specific areas and then spreading elsewhere, so no, they would not change at one uniform rate. As a consequence it is possible to have one species divide into two, after which one, both or neither might survive. (An extremely famous example being the finches on the Galapagos Islands.) And no, evolution is not why kids are getting bigger etc. That is due to diet. (Evolution does not, comic books notwithstanding, happen by everyone, everywhere changing at once. Besides which, most mutations are bad for you. It has to be this way or they would have already appeared and been selected for!)

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New I agree - we don't need this discussion here and now.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Blame nutrition Norm
The one hundred year war and the asociated deprivation caused the average hight of the french and brits to drop 4 inches. Our kids are getting fed highly nutricious foods without rationing and with vitamen supplements that wernt available in our youth and even less in our parents youth. Asdd in the preservatives our kids wont need to be embalmed.
thanx,
bill
There is no difference between a "settler," "soldier," "secular," or "Chassidic Jew." The target is the JEW.
\ufffd Harvey Tannenbaum
New Kids are getting smarter?
Let's hope so. And by the right metrics.

But I don't buy the superhuman theory. Culture and upbringing swamp genetic effects.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
     Did homo sapiens interbreed with earlier species? - (Silverlock) - (17)
         Quest for fire comes to mind - (boxley) - (3)
             I am tempted to say, "as you should know"... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 Put neandershal, homoerectus - (boxley) - (1)
                     But.... - (tablizer)
         Who wants to know? - (nking) - (12)
             Sorry, but isn't this the science forum? -NT - (Meerkat) - (3)
                 It looked to me... - (static) - (2)
                     Such help we don't need - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Right. Thanks for the clarification. I think. - (static)
             Keep your superstitions in the correct forum please. -NT - (Silverlock) - (7)
                 There is a phrase that says - (nking) - (6)
                     .."not available in stores!"______so sez the suprahuman LRPD -NT - (Ashton)
                     Love - (altmann)
                     Can we not have this debate here again? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         I agree - we don't need this discussion here and now. -NT - (static)
                     Blame nutrition Norm - (boxley)
                     Kids are getting smarter? - (marlowe)

Slices, dices, chops...
60 ms