IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks.
But I was guessing at Bjork's father's name. All I know for sure is it starts with a 'G'. I think at the time I read about it, Bjork was considered a single mum and I think she was causing waves by saying her kids' surnames would be Bjorksson or Bjorksdottir. Other than that, I had forgotten the patronymy vs matronymy aspect.

And yes, I did already know about the "Andersson" => "Anderson" progression. I am a casual student of the history of language and words and this includes names. I first discovered this construct many years ago when a friend's father worked for Ericsson and I noticed the double S. :-)

Wade, who would be surnamed Brucesson with such a naming convention.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New That's funny; I wouldn't have thought it would "raise waves"
Wade Brucesson writes:
But I was guessing at Bjork's father's name. All I know for sure is it starts with a 'G'.
Ah. Well, now you know -- 'Gudrun' is a woman's name. :-)

I think at the time I read about it, Bjork was considered a single mum and I think she was causing waves by saying her kids' surnames would be Bjorksson or Bjorksdottir.
That's weird, IMO: The matronymyc isn't all that unusual, as I understand it (just less usual than the patronymic); I gather it's fairly widely used in precisely those circumstances. And it's not as if the Icelanders were a particularly religious, or otherwise opposed to single-motherhood, people. The practice is fairly old (as in, centuries), AFAIK.

Oh well, what with her being an "international star", perhaps things change. Maybe a stink was raised abroad, or perhaps it even was Icelanders, *fearing* that she'd "present a bad image" of the country, who complained -- somewhat ridiculously, if so, for being "holier than the holy" for no real reason at all as far as they themselves are concerned.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Heh. I really don't know.
CRC writes:
    Well, now you know -- 'Gudrun' is a woman's name. :-)

Yah. Thanks. (-:

That's weird, IMO: The matronymyc isn't all that unusual, as I understand it (just less usual than the patronymic); I gather it's fairly widely used in precisely those circumstances. And it's not as if the Icelanders were a particularly religious, or otherwise opposed to single-motherhood, people. The practice is fairly old (as in, centuries), AFAIK.

All I remember was that she effectively said her daughter would have a matronymic name, and that commentators familiar with aspect of Icelandic life thought it unusual. I don't know why; I was only theorising (e.g. maybe she was still married at the time). Much of my knowledge about Icelandic names comes from - of all places - a Hardy Boys' novel set in Iceland. They had to look someone up in the phone book at one point and found it most confusing until a native explained it all to them (and the readers). It was more recent, though, that I found out about the -dottir suffix.

*shrug*

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Review: Film: Dancer in the Dark - (inthane-chan) - (9)
         You know what she has in common with Saku Koivu? - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Same singing voice? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 Naah: Both their names - her first (or only?), and his... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     How about that? Son of a birch! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Another review. - (static) - (4)
             Gu\ufffdmundsd\ufffdttir, not Gudruns (two u, no e). For Dad,.. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Thanks. - (static) - (2)
                     That's funny; I wouldn't have thought it would "raise waves" - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Heh. I really don't know. - (static)

Caveat emptor.
73 ms