IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Review: Film: Dancer in the Dark
Bjork stars as a Czechloslovakian immigrant to Washington state during the mid 1960's. She's slowly losing her sight, although she has told almost nobody. In addition, her own child will suffer the same fate, unless she can afford an expensive operation to fix his eyes. She does extra shifts at the factory at which she works, sticks needles into backboards, and pinches every penny towards her son's operation. Which, of course, he knows nothing about, since she hasn't told anybody what she's doing, including her own son. Instead, she says that she's sending the money to her father in Czechloslovakia.

How does she escape from all this? She imagines that she is in a musical, which causes a transformation of the film from the drab representation of small-town Washington to a musical number, in a factory, in a house, on a train. Of course, everything goes wrong.

This film is very hard to categorize. Nasty stuff happens, this is not a kid film. This is also not a film for people who don't like the way that Bjork sings - I happen to like her VERY unusual voice - but if you do, you might want to check it out.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New You know what she has in common with Saku Koivu?
Sakari Koivu, that is, the hockey player?

Come on, take a guess.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Same singing voice?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Naah: Both their names - her first (or only?), and his...
...last - mean "Birch".

Fond of trees, those Nordic types.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New How about that? Son of a birch! :)
Alex

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid." -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
New Another review.
[link|http://www.sbs.com.au/movieshow/reviews.php3?id=129|From The Movie Show].

The two reviewers differed sharply, which is not all that unusual! Note that I haven't seen this film myself. However, I do have a copy of Bjork's first album. I quite liked "Human Behaviour".

I think her full name is Bjork Gudrensdottir (sp?) or something like that but AFAIK it's Icelandic to be known only by your first name. FWIW, her daughter would have a "surname" of Bjorksdottir.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Gu\ufffdmundsd\ufffdttir, not Gudruns (two u, no e). For Dad,..
...not Mom, as Gudrunsdottir would be.

FWIW, her own kids are probably also more likely to be little Halvdanssons or Thorsteinsdottirs, or whatever the prospective father's name will be -- the patronymic surname (why the quotation marks -- where'd you think Scott's 'Anderson' came from?) is still much more prevalent on Iceland than the matronymic, AFAIK.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Thanks.
But I was guessing at Bjork's father's name. All I know for sure is it starts with a 'G'. I think at the time I read about it, Bjork was considered a single mum and I think she was causing waves by saying her kids' surnames would be Bjorksson or Bjorksdottir. Other than that, I had forgotten the patronymy vs matronymy aspect.

And yes, I did already know about the "Andersson" => "Anderson" progression. I am a casual student of the history of language and words and this includes names. I first discovered this construct many years ago when a friend's father worked for Ericsson and I noticed the double S. :-)

Wade, who would be surnamed Brucesson with such a naming convention.

New That's funny; I wouldn't have thought it would "raise waves"
Wade Brucesson writes:
But I was guessing at Bjork's father's name. All I know for sure is it starts with a 'G'.
Ah. Well, now you know -- 'Gudrun' is a woman's name. :-)

I think at the time I read about it, Bjork was considered a single mum and I think she was causing waves by saying her kids' surnames would be Bjorksson or Bjorksdottir.
That's weird, IMO: The matronymyc isn't all that unusual, as I understand it (just less usual than the patronymic); I gather it's fairly widely used in precisely those circumstances. And it's not as if the Icelanders were a particularly religious, or otherwise opposed to single-motherhood, people. The practice is fairly old (as in, centuries), AFAIK.

Oh well, what with her being an "international star", perhaps things change. Maybe a stink was raised abroad, or perhaps it even was Icelanders, *fearing* that she'd "present a bad image" of the country, who complained -- somewhat ridiculously, if so, for being "holier than the holy" for no real reason at all as far as they themselves are concerned.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Heh. I really don't know.
CRC writes:
    Well, now you know -- 'Gudrun' is a woman's name. :-)

Yah. Thanks. (-:

That's weird, IMO: The matronymyc isn't all that unusual, as I understand it (just less usual than the patronymic); I gather it's fairly widely used in precisely those circumstances. And it's not as if the Icelanders were a particularly religious, or otherwise opposed to single-motherhood, people. The practice is fairly old (as in, centuries), AFAIK.

All I remember was that she effectively said her daughter would have a matronymic name, and that commentators familiar with aspect of Icelandic life thought it unusual. I don't know why; I was only theorising (e.g. maybe she was still married at the time). Much of my knowledge about Icelandic names comes from - of all places - a Hardy Boys' novel set in Iceland. They had to look someone up in the phone book at one point and found it most confusing until a native explained it all to them (and the readers). It was more recent, though, that I found out about the -dottir suffix.

*shrug*

Wade.

Review: Film: Dancer in the Dark - (inthane-chan) - (9)
         You know what she has in common with Saku Koivu? - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Same singing voice? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 Naah: Both their names - her first (or only?), and his... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     How about that? Son of a birch! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Another review. - (static) - (4)
             Gu\ufffdmundsd\ufffdttir, not Gudruns (two u, no e). For Dad,.. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Thanks. - (static) - (2)
                     That's funny; I wouldn't have thought it would "raise waves" - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Heh. I really don't know. - (static)

If for no other reason that historical (hysterical?) context.
74 ms