IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How it was once done.
How records were made once-upon-a-time. http://travisab1.mul...om/video/item/124 I found this fascinating.
New Building is still in Camden
Top of which has the RCA dog in stained glass :-)
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Think anyone has a picture of that window?
It would be cool to see.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Thanks! I think that's pretty awesome

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Thanks to handy iMac zoooom --
I can read that immortal phrase! Thanks.
Have always considered that little koan to represent the zenith of Advertising (as an Art rather than it's current nuisance-form.. instantly toxic to all remaining healthy neurons.)

Close second: the Exxon (??) commercials of yore, depicting a dinosaur roaring out of your gas tank; a prescient omen reciting the fact of their demise: to provide you with YAN trip in the SUV for a Big Gulp -- unsuccessful warning to the oblivious majority -- while sententiously heralding Peak Oil '09 or '01, whatever.
New Fabulous.
It was amazing to see how labour-intensive and personnel-intensive the process was! I can imagine all sorts of mechanisation would have developed by the time the 33rpm LP had hit its stride decades later.

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New Creativity
What hit me most was realizing the creativity behind the process(es) of producing records then. Ingenious thought behind all that. It's as impressive to me as Strauss' creation used as the backdrop.
New Haven't had a chance to watch it yet...
but the discussion reminds me of a Rush album I've got somewhere. At the end of the last track is a flourish of some sort that is perfectly timed so that it repeats as long as the record rotates. You don't get stuff like that with CDs.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who also remembers playing an 8-track of Boston's first album and hearing the fade out as the track ends, the "clunk-clunk" as the track changes, and the fade up as the song continues. High Fidelity!)
New 'Her Majesty's a really nice girl, but she doesn't have
a lot to say ..."
OK that was more of a Beatles-aside ... than an authentic 'end-groove'.

Believe I still have my 78 copy of Maynard Ferguson's trumpet version of All the Things You Are.
Special weird case: Mrs. Jerome Kern made Capitol (?) recall (!!) these, because she deemed Maynard's stratospheric variations to be umm, un-Kern-like.
I hung out at a local record shop in Pacific Beach; they saved me a copy before 'complying'.

(See, it's not just the Shrub Years wherein Muricans do really ditzy stuff, of the sort that makes the world wonder whether we're ever going to be ready for self-government.)
Alas, as Collector$ icon, I expect that the grooves are about shot from numerous replays on a lo-tech Webcor changer :-/

And then there was the short brave period of 78 rpm vinyl microgrooves, for earlier audio types
(that group now replaced with the audiophool genus (or sub-species)
-- the lawful physics-iggerant prey of the successful marketers of Perfection / A faux-science Fantasy.)
These rank right up there with someone's recent link to the $32M gold bathroom 'suite'.

Hey, ya can flush your money into the toilet ... as well as 'down the toilet'.

What Fools these Mortals Be
-- Puck
     How it was once done. - (Steve Lowe) - (9)
         Building is still in Camden - (beepster) - (4)
             Think anyone has a picture of that window? - (lincoln) - (3)
                 Here - (drook) - (2)
                     Thanks! I think that's pretty awesome -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Thanks to handy iMac zoooom -- - (Ashton)
         Fabulous. - (static) - (3)
             Creativity - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 Haven't had a chance to watch it yet... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     'Her Majesty's a really nice girl, but she doesn't have - (Ashton)

Trouble with a capital "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
185 ms