IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why the hostile reactions?
... their work has met a hostile reaction from other researchers.

I've never understood this. Okay, I understand wanting to be the guy who gets his name in the history books, or who the process is named after, or even the one who gets to cash in on the patent. But I can't imagine spending my life doing something like this and not being thrilled that someone made a breakthrough.
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New presumably `coz they can't reproduce the result.
Maybe they're not doing it right, or maybe it just doesn't really work. If the former, then the technique is not ready for prime time. If the latter, it's cold fusion all over again.

Reproducibility is really, really important. I'd be testy too if I were in their place.

But then, I can't entirely rule out the wounded ego interpretation. That happens, too.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New Re: Why the hostile reactions?
Probably because they think not enough is known about what is happening (i.e. it's premature to make such a claim) and potentially a waste of time for others who want to verify results.

Also, the energy required to make it work exceeded the energy generated.
Alex

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid." -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
New Hostile reactions == Science
That's the way it works.

The new guys show off some fancy effect.

The old guys say, "No way! They're full of shit!"

The whole thing gets polarized.

Then (important difference with politics) lots and lots of various other people, on both sides, go out and try it. Over time, they either succeed or don't. Either way, we decide from the resulting evidence which view is closer to the "truth", which in this case means a direct correspondence with the physical Universe. (Note that another difference is that scientists have a whole set of euphemisms they can use to disagree violently with one another without generating a lot of hate and discontent. "That turns out not to be the case" is science-speak for "This idiot is so full of shit his hair smells." Civility is important.)

This is why turning science into intellectual property is such a vile thing, even for the people who plan on profiting from it. Discoveries that turn out to be bogus -- which happens more often than not -- are going to cost the patentholders and trade secret protectors a lot more, over time, than they're gonna make out of their proud new babies, because they won't have armies of folks checking their work for airholes.

I have no opinion on this, except to say it would be nice if it panned out. It's 'way too early to tell whether it's physics or bullshit.
Regards,
Ric
     Mr. Fusion is here? - (marlowe) - (10)
         At least it isn't *cold* fusion. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Aw, I was totally psyched - (imric) - (1)
                 There were a couple of labs that said they duplicated - (wharris2)
         Not yet - (imric)
         Aw, poop - (marlowe) - (5)
             Why the hostile reactions? - (drewk) - (3)
                 presumably `coz they can't reproduce the result. - (marlowe)
                 Re: Why the hostile reactions? - (a6l6e6x)
                 Hostile reactions == Science - (Ric Locke)
             Re: it's nowhere near ready for beta. - (bbronson)

He's so far to the right of the bell curve he could drop a marble and it wouldn't roll away.
44 ms