IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Champaign IL
College town (U of I), lot's of tech jobs, small firms with personality. One of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (2.4%?) Decent cultural attractions, not enough good restaurants :(. A day trip from Chicago, St Louis or Indianapolis. The university is always hiring in the tech field. Want to work on supercomputers? They are working on some way cool stuff here with massivley parrallel linux boxen. Saw an article last year that said they had the 2nd fastest (measured by Tflops) non-gov supercomputer in the world.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Colleges/universities in general
It all depends what you are willing to accept. Most colleges and universities don't pay up to so-called industry standards, and administrative positions are jack-of-all-trade positions, but many do have programming/sysadmin positions available. You may find yourself doing dull stuff like writing reports that do budgeting or writing SQL that manages donors - but it's better that than nothing. And, while there are plenty of PHB's in colleges, the atmosphere in those I've been at has been more low-key.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
     So, where is the job market decent? - (inthane-chan) - (9)
         Champaign IL - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Colleges/universities in general - (wharris2)
         Germany is pretty OK, I hear... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Provided your not a Yank - (bconnors)
         No place that I know of - (nking) - (3)
             Funny you should mention Y!... - (rsf) - (2)
                 Even funnier - (nking) - (1)
                     Re: "they could have gotten someone?" - (a6l6e6x)
         Hit or miss, depending on skills - (broomberg)

As Sam Goldwyn said, "I'm sick of the old cliches. Bring me some new cliches."
38 ms