IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, where is the job market decent?
One of the possibilities, of course, is my wife and I moving somewhere else. The main problem is, we're not interested in relocating - she's got a very sweet job that she is very happy with - so that's kind of our last gasp.

Still, it would be interesting to see what's out there, and if the Right Job came along, we might be willing to make the move...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Champaign IL
College town (U of I), lot's of tech jobs, small firms with personality. One of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (2.4%?) Decent cultural attractions, not enough good restaurants :(. A day trip from Chicago, St Louis or Indianapolis. The university is always hiring in the tech field. Want to work on supercomputers? They are working on some way cool stuff here with massivley parrallel linux boxen. Saw an article last year that said they had the 2nd fastest (measured by Tflops) non-gov supercomputer in the world.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Colleges/universities in general
It all depends what you are willing to accept. Most colleges and universities don't pay up to so-called industry standards, and administrative positions are jack-of-all-trade positions, but many do have programming/sysadmin positions available. You may find yourself doing dull stuff like writing reports that do budgeting or writing SQL that manages donors - but it's better that than nothing. And, while there are plenty of PHB's in colleges, the atmosphere in those I've been at has been more low-key.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Germany is pretty OK, I hear...
HTH! ;^>
New Provided your not a Yank
They're not as friendly to us Mericans as they used to be; guess a flat economy for the past few years has soured their attitudes.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New No place that I know of
of course if we were to leave the USA, become citizens of another country for a while, and then apply for an H1B Work Visa, we could get a job more easily than just being an US Citizen and applying for one. :(

Unless you meant where as in job market? Plenty of healthcare workers needed in nursing homes, clinics, and hospitals. Plus plenty of retail clerks, accountants, and managers needed. One thing that never shocks me is the need for managers, they almost always don't downsize the managers unless the company is really screwed up or something like Enron or Yahoo.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Funny you should mention Y!...
I just found out that they are looking to hire someone to fill my ex-position. How f'd is that!
Ray
New Even funnier
my ex-employer, the lawfirm, is still looking for someone to hire to replace me, and have been since the end of November! With all this IT talent going around, you'd think they could have gotten someone?

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Re: "they could have gotten someone?"
Not unless they are looking for a bargain employee. The supply for the talent they want at the price they are willing to pay could be nil.
Alex

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid." -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
New Hit or miss, depending on skills
I'm looking for a Project Manager,
an Oracle DBA, 1 or 2 PL/SQL programmers,
a Perl/Oracle SQL programmer, and a Cold
Fusion / Web coder.

All positions in the 60-90K range depending
on experience. I don't think that is underpaying
in this economy.

Philadelphia area.

I've interviewed / phone screened about 2 dozen
people so far (past 2 weeks) and we finally hit on
a Cold Fusion / Web programmer today.

I'm going to start charging head hunters a fee
to read bad resumes.
     So, where is the job market decent? - (inthane-chan) - (9)
         Champaign IL - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Colleges/universities in general - (wharris2)
         Germany is pretty OK, I hear... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Provided your not a Yank - (bconnors)
         No place that I know of - (nking) - (3)
             Funny you should mention Y!... - (rsf) - (2)
                 Even funnier - (nking) - (1)
                     Re: "they could have gotten someone?" - (a6l6e6x)
         Hit or miss, depending on skills - (broomberg)

Oh, we're on?
59 ms