IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Just installed a new 1.5TB drive
Glad to hear your report on the guts. It is just a giant nb, eh?

A factor in deciding re Apple Care route in May; while I have experienced few hdwre failures in my minimal-numbers / but over a lengthy period: were I to get a nb I'd not think twice about that insurance. So if the iMac is more nb than 'desktop'..

The 'glass' thumps as plastic, right? (Comes with a microfibre screen wiping cloth, I didn't get) :-/
Held with magnets.. does that imply that it can be extracted easily, via a suitable suction cup, on the face?
Understand that dust is known to migrate behind the glass -- now if you can remove it easily..

Is the video card socketed? Not a factor por moi, but wonder if it could be upgraded to the 512 MB, should that ever make any sense. Be nice too, of course, if a bad video card didn't also trash the mobo.

Anticipating your report on the cute-as-bugs-ear Mini-9, and how Update treats it. Loved Bman's video.
Being able to sync such a device re. mail, bookmarks without some lengthy kluge -- priceless.

FWIW: Mactracker (Copyright (c) 2001-2008 Ian Page) appears to be the definitive collection of Mac model info for those curious about the evolution --> this bitchin iMac (which also seems to be the 'fastest' via various benchmarks.) Fancy that..

New Why not look at the instructions I looked at
Warning, lotsa pictures:

http://forums.macrum...read.php?t=350120

Personally, its a lot easier than it looks. Especially when you have the right tools.

I have a "multi-shaft" philips/straight/allen/torx screwdriver lotsa sizes.

I used 2 suction cups and 2 different sizes of torx.

One size torx for most "retaining" screws and one other for the "dvi" plug that is retained by two really small ones.

Its really that nicely done, as the pictures show you.
New Thanks -- revealing (!)
I can do that. Comforting that I shouldn't need to, very soon.
Looks like a CMOS CR-2032 cell in there; maybe every 2+ years you open up for that, clean the fans.
Noted there are (at least 3) of these exposés, including a field-stripping at kodawarisan (Japan.)

Not a job for the ham-fisted or impatient.
But the $$ quoted by some Apple shops (probably out-sourcing any actual work, like locals here) -- is not just your Elite-grade pack , but insults one's intelligence.

Wise-Up fanbois!
I'm concluding that the Apple Store 'staff' is ~~ as 'professional' as the kiddies who masquerade as the Geek Squad (they who 'analyzed' neighbor's problems not-at-all, while robotically running some scripts that Missed the point. At high-$/hr.)

Ignorance kills.
Caveat emptor.

New For once, it's fair *not* to assume incompetence
http://linuxlock.blo...-creeps-into.html
It's _____ ________ hippy freaks like you that are costing us our jobs. You got any idea how many people are getting pink slips because of your b_________? Every time you put that ____ on someone's computer, some guy trying to feed his family has to go home and tell his wife that he lost his job. How about I snatch that silly little ponytail and give you a tour of the parking lot?
--

Drew
New I donated $300 to Ken's cause...
He was very grateful.

Wish I could have done more!
New Why.. Why, it's a veritable Manifesto
in pantomime, of Why it is that: making shoddy crap is Patriotic!
(as defined by the same Muricans as idolize The Donald and every other limpet on the neck of honest transactions.)

If Patriotism means: support the slackers and conmen who parlay crappy design at the mfg. level into a lifetime sinecure. Speaking bafflegab to non-techno users, because you Can make more re-fixing is cowards' play , VS say? sending them to aaxnet et al for a dose of plain-talk about their addictions / the annual cost in aggravation and faux-repairs.

Variation on?
The Maytag Repairman.. alone, shunned ... his stuff is just Made Too Well!
(What were they thinking of, in that self-parody of Our System?)

Yeah, I'll send a couple bucks too -- Linux evangelism with Installs where-the-mouth is ++ an ad for stuffed animals 'roaming free!' (which just might evoke a few seconds pondering about a whole lot of Real animals..) Maybe even: about chickens with sharpened spurs attached? violently mistreated dogs set at each other, lest beaten harder -- also for fun & profit. OK maybe a stretch, but a recurrent realization in this particular jelloware.

(I thought that most LUGs still had Install days, though HeliOS obviously carries-through with getting machines to those who need them, before they realize: they do.)

Thanks.. a keeper (sent along.)

Offhand, I'd think that most techno companies *still* would spare a few minutes to show any 'I'nterested kid around, for all reasons not needing explication. Get Them Hooked on 'thinking' early-as-possible!
As in,

When I was 14ish, I dropped into Stuart Oxygen Co. Don't recall how I found them, prolly yellow pages for S.F. I'd found out about 'isotopes', specifically Deuterium. Also knew that such gas plants often had a sideline re D-2, what with all the electrolysis happening. They pointed me to lab, their chemist. Got a half-hour or so tour + chat; left with a small bottle of almost-pure D20 (no superscripts in TextEdit? Bad Apple.)
Maybe ~ 90+% -- enough to demonstrate the physical differences with vanilla-HOH, whereas their 99.x% product was big bucks.

'Software' philosophy -- only a little different from isotopes; Thinking needed.

Why aren't kids traipsing into lots of 'companies' (big and small) -all unannounced- and giving them a chance to act like Adults, for a few minutes of company-time? Still.. Can't believe that ALL kids have ceased to venture out and try to find-out stuff (even with all the mindless consciousness-lowering distractions, now multi-tasked to absurdity -- also courtesy of Big Techno marketing / for Profit.)

The US needs to Grow Up. Or die, and let some other less-toxic culture play less-stupid games with their kids' heads.

Just installed a new 1.5TB drive - (folkert) - (9)
         I like working on my MacPro, too. - (malraux)
         Re: Just installed a new 1.5TB drive - (Ashton) - (5)
             Why not look at the instructions I looked at - (folkert) - (4)
                 Thanks -- revealing (!) - (Ashton) - (3)
                     For once, it's fair *not* to assume incompetence - (drook) - (2)
                         I donated $300 to Ken's cause... - (folkert)
                         Why.. Why, it's a veritable Manifesto - (Ashton)
         My "Time Machine" 320GB just went tits-up - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Re: My "Time Machine" 320GB just went tits-up - (Ashton)

China!
38 ms