IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Just bought a Dell Mini 9
Dell Mini 9n for $479.12 shipped.

Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
    Obsidian Black
    512MB DDR2 at 533MHz
    Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
    64GB Solid State Drive
    Ubuntu Linux version 8.04.1
    Base LCD Assembly
    Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 capability
    Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
    32WHr Battery (4 cell)
    1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service

Memory upgrade @ $75 was too much from Dell. $25.87 shipped from NewEgg

SSD upgrade cheaper from Dell as an equivalent SSD from multiple places (NewEgg etal) was minimum $30 more plus shipping

Bought a Retail OSX disk, $129

Will let you know.

Accordingly Dell Mini 9 is supposedly 100% working, even SLEEP.

Apple needs to sell a $600 netbook. I would have bought it today.

I want a small form factor netbook that is similar in size as the Dell Mini 9. I should be able to Dual boot OSX and Linux without a problem.

Yeah, sure Peter. Uh huh... blah blah blah.

I forgot to put in 3/25/09 as the expected date of delivery.

Link:
http://www.dell.com/...&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
http://gadgets.boing...ook-compatib.html
http://i.gizmodo.com...mate-os-x-netbook

Edit:
Link added for Dell Mini 9, might die as time goes on.
Added exact purchased line items

Edit2:
Added Expected receipt date.
Expand Edited by folkert March 1, 2009, 07:46:51 AM EST
Expand Edited by folkert March 1, 2009, 08:37:56 AM EST
Expand Edited by folkert March 15, 2009, 10:28:54 AM EDT
New I'm all ears..
(said the Ferenghi)

About the price-range I might spring for in a while, depending..
Would be lovely to have all the OSX stuff working in that tiny box (including Fans! sleep etc.)
That $-range doesn't get a used Apple nb of any recent-enough vintage, unless it's been thrashed (or trashed.)

Do keep us posted, please.
New Would that they would sell that in AU... :-(
Dell Australia has apparantly decided that Aussies are not interested in Linux laptops. Rubbish. Even one of their own salesdroids would buy a Linux one if they offered it (he said so!).

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New Eventually you'll need this
http://www.IHateDell.net

so you can request help or vent over this moment of your life that you'll wish you could have back.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Not really.
I don't plan on using them for anything except for parts.

I've dealt with Dell on server class hardware and desktops.

You have to be knowledgeable and also polite once you get that barrier down they are fine to deal with.

To be honest places like that, can be done about ANY company that deals with the stupid public will get those "I HATE {COMPANY}" websites.

I'm not a newbie when buying hardware, I can take care of myself.
New Are you worried that OS X updates will break it?
It sounds like a nice project, and relatively cheap too. (I wish the screen was more like 1280x800 though).

How worried are you that OS X updates will break things?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Its not a hack to install.
This machine does a full install from the Retail Disk.

I've talked (really talked) to a couple of people that did this same thing. One started on the OSX 10.5.5 and did a full update via normal methods.

There is one here in GR that I got to touch and feel.

Edit:
In any case, its runs Linux already, so I only am out the Retail Disk price if it does break.
Expand Edited by folkert March 1, 2009, 01:34:38 PM EST
New let me know about audio quality
New Here's a video on it
putting leopard on the delll
http://www.wimp.com/nicetoy/
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Yup...
That one was before it was figured out to boot from a real "bootable" OSX recovery disk (or some such) and start the install from there.

Now the error seen isn't expected nor is the workaround needed.

But in any case. I hope it'll be awesome.
New Hackintoshing can be fun, but you better be ready for it
Andy Ihnatko

http://www.suntimes....sh-031209.article
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
New Excellent. Thanks very much.
J is going on a trip in a month or so and would really like a cheap Mac to take with her. I have to think on this some more...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Better order NOW...
there is at least a three week wait.

Get the large SSD if you are worried about space, its cheaper from Dell than most other places.

Get memory for $25 from NewEgg. $129 for OSX from Apple Store.

Right now there is a $20 discount / instant savings so the same machine I just bought it $424 vs $444 grrr of course.

Ummm expected delivery date for me... 3/25/09
Expand Edited by folkert March 14, 2009, 08:08:20 PM EDT
Expand Edited by folkert March 15, 2009, 10:36:23 AM EDT
New Thanks. I'm tempted to get 2... :-)
New Greg how is yours working
New sound son. how is the sound?
New built it on a dell d600
got everything going in about 3 days some kernel hacking to get the broadcomm card recognized and the sound didnt do streaming very well. Get J an Asus with ubuntu on it
New Thanks. I'll get to looking. :-)
New Good thing I reread your post...
I had one all configured with WinXP but was thinking, gee a 16 GB SSD is pretty small....

Of course, the XP machine is crippled compared to the Ubuntu version (the largest SSD available with XP is 16 GB).

I just ordered the same as you, in white, $444, but added an extra battery ($100) and an extra charger ($56) (highway robbery for the add-ons, but I've had poor luck with aftermarket laptop batteries). I'll replace the 512 MB of RAM with 2 GB from newegg. Of course, I had to use IE to be able to view everything I wanted on their web page...

We have a copy of 10.5.2 already.

$638.40 total, 4/13/2009 estimated delivery date. That gives me a little over 10 days to get it configured before J's trip...

Thanks for the pointer, Greg! Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Coolio...
Don't know if 10.5.2 will work... it might not have all the device ID numbers and such...

But we shall soon find out eh?
New Yup.
I thought Type11 said s/he started with 10.5.2 and updated to 10.5.6, but I'm not seeing that at the moment: http://mydellmini.co...ot132--t1106.html

Yeah, we'll soon find out. :-)

But it looks like I'll have to buy a copy anyway, since the copy of Leopard we have came with J's black MacBook and isn't a generic "retail" copy. :-( I've got a retail copy of Tiger (10.4.x) but apparently it's not new enough.

Oh well, it's only money. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I love a mystery
A) So, what if 5.2 works well enough to get on web for an update, etc. (Current plan.)
Viola: maybe previously missed items magically begin to function (unless one of the nonfunctions were related to web-access, 'course.)
Or maybe not - if not originally detected. Dunno how the Update process works, but 'installation' may not be a part of its repertoire.

If not,
B) You use CC or other to empty some other handy Apple.
Install the 5.2
Then you get latest patches.
Then you CC --> over to the Dell
(Then you reload Apple with original configs.)

You have paid for the OS, you merely used a surrogate to update it.
(Now putting the updated version back into compressed files for a DVD.. ummm ¿Quien sabe? A convenience, but for these purposes: Red Herring.)

Just a gedanken experiment..

Of course too, whatever is the process for redetecting hdwre in an OS-X install [and when..] needs to be attended.
I suspect that just might be The Rub (?)

'Course there's a
C) Wait for Snow Leopard and buy it. But that's no fun, and we don't know when..

Pity though, that the cost to play (fill up the storage, mem) gets it up to 450ish + new copy of OSX.
Now we're talking a couple hundred more for a used nb, though admittedly not so teensy.

Wonder what Steverino et al are doing with the er Organic display route
(What could be 'greener' than That!? Unless it uses a ton of icky petro-derived chemicals too.)
Might we presume that he won't be creating a competitive lo-ball device, but a sexy $829.99 new game? for those maxxed-out on 4 generations of shrinking 'Pods -- but still in love with teensy?

{sigh} Shiny Shiny -- we're all suckers for it.
New fast method
use the install disks to install to a memory stick on your apple. Take to test box, boot off of memory stick, see what works.
New for $200 more you could get the real deal :-)
New Too big and heavy.
New Ding Ding Ding!
That is my point. I want something I can nearly slide in my coat pocket or put in my saddle bags.
New I don't know about Dell...
The original estimated delivery date was April 13. Yesterday around 11:00 AM I got an automated phone message saying the Mini was back-ordered and the new delivery date would be April 17. Around 2:00 pm I got an e-mail message with the same information.

Around 2:00 this morning they sent out an e-mail saying the Mini had shipped. I should get it tomorrow....

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I had similar episode.
BTW, I am loving my Dell Mini9Mac

It just freakin works.

Only issue is when coming back from sleep... hit the ESC key and it resets the keyboard.

That is my ONLY issue. Very nice.

Play Ripped DVDs just fine in VLC.

Won't read DVDs through the USB, something about it not recognizing my DVD player/writer properly... but then it doesn't wok on a friend's "air" either.

Who knows.
New Im glad I didnt get one now
The macbook screen is as small as I could reasonably put up with, glad it worked out for you guys tho
Expand Edited by boxley April 8, 2009, 08:25:48 AM EDT
New So...
what didja find out?

Worky?

Took me about an hour and a half.
New They needed a signature...
I just got it today. Haven't had a chance to open the box yet. :-)

My plan is to backup what came with it, partition it, install XP Home, restore the Linux that came with it, then install OS X. But I'll have to read up on all the details first (like be sure that that's the correct order).

Any more tips you can share?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I've got OSX on it and...
Don't quote think I;m going to fix it up to Dual boot or triple boot anything.

But, since the bootloader is a syslinux derivate (I think), it should be quite easy to get it to do everything.

Why even boot Windows on the thing. She won't need it once OSX is there.

Trust me when I say this:

I don't even want to use something else on the Dell Mini9 other than OSX, its a perfect match.

New Thanks. Good point. I'll have to think on this...
New Posting from it, booting Ubuntu.
I'm impressed so far. Setting up the wireless connection with WEP was trivial, and everything seems to work. I think it will take a while to get used to the keyboard - lots of the keys on the right 1/4 of the keyboard are tiny...

So far, so good. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Installed OS X 10.5.6 Retail; it's almost too easy.
As indicated above, I bought the Mini 9 with 512 MB of RAM. It was surprisingly usable with Ubuntu. Firefox got sluggish with more than about 3 tabs, but that's to be expected.

I installed the 2 GB stick I bought from Newegg (Kingston PC2 4200 CL2 200 pin). 2 screws on the back of the Mini to remove the cover, then carefully pry up the edges. It's an interference fit on the sides, with a couple of tabs on the opposite side of the screws.

I used a Sony external DVD drive and followed the general instructions given here:
http://www.mydellmin...method-t3925.html

I burned the DellMiniBoot123v8.02b1 ISO to a CD using Terabyte Unlimited BurnCDCC (free) from here - http://www.terabyteu...free-software.htm - using XP.

I put the CD in the DVD drive making sure to use the left front USB port on the Mini 9 (apparently the Mini 9 won't boot from the USB port on the right side).

Before booting the CD, I checked the BIOS (hitting "2" just after powering up the Mini). Mine has BIOS v A04. I changed the Boot order to: CD, USB, HD, Removable, Network. Reboot.

The CD booted fine. At the "boot:" prompt, one hits "Enter". Remove the CD and install the OS X DVD. Enter "9f" to boot from the DVD. Hit Enter again.

You may have to do the CD boot twice (the first time I booted the Mini from the right USB port..).

One will see the white Apple screen, and eventually the busy dash indicator.

Select "English". No disk was found to install to. Run Utils -> Disk Utility.

It'll see the disk on the Mini. In my case it was "57.4GB STEC PATA 64GB" Select it. MacOS Extended (Journaled) was already selected.

In my case, it had 2 partitions for Ubuntu. I changed it to a single partition, gave it the name "Leopard 090418" (I'll think about installing other OSes later.)

Under Options... on the DU screen one needs to select "GUID Partition Table".

Hit Apply, then Quit out of Disk Utility.

Select that disk, Install, Install.

The install then proceeds. The DVD check takes a while. The Install took about 70 minutes in my case, with several long pauses (~ 5 minutes) that seemed to indicate the install was stuck. One just has to be patient.

At the end I got a screen with "Install Failed". This is normal. Restart.

Boot from the CD again. At the "boot:" prompt, hit Enter, then enter "80" to boot OS X from the internal HD.

You will then go through the graphical installation. You'll see the Apple movie but will not have sound. This is also normal.

Enter the required information, register, etc. Then hit "Go".

You'll see your Home folder populated, the Dock, and if you entered your network information, it'll show shared stuff on the network.

At this point, return to the MyDellMini instructions. Install the "AboutThisMac.pkg" from the DellMini9Utils folder. Then run the DellEFI application. You'll get a warning "You do not appear to be running this on a Dell Mini 9... Continue?" Hit Yes. (It's a warning to people on Real Macs who should NOT run this.) Do the Easy Install. After it was done I hit "No" and then Restarted manually.

On rebooting, everything seems to work. It really is a neat little Mac box. :-)

Note that I have not yet run the Software Update stuff. (I want to make a backup first.) I copied the DellEFI app to the user/home directory as it apparently needs to be rerun after Software Update and wanted to keep it handy.

I haven't tried the camera (though it worked during the install, I didn't take a picture), or the 8 GB Kingston SDHC stick I got for it.

Finally, one needs to experiment with the keyboard a little. There obviously isn't an Apple key. ;-) The left Alt key is the Ctrl key (at least for making a new tab in Firefox).

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again to Greg for pointing out this little bit of magic! :-)

[edit:] Tyop, extraneous "first", "though".
[edit:] Initial boot was using the right (not left) USB port...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who put the white Apple logo sticker over the Dell logo...)
Expand Edited by Another Scott April 19, 2009, 01:09:43 AM EDT
Expand Edited by Another Scott April 19, 2009, 09:46:28 AM EDT
New Backed up, Installed updates, ran DellEFI again. No probs.
I used TimeMachine with an external 60 GB USB hard drive. It formatted it as MacOS Extended and backed up everything (it took over an hour for 12 GB or so).

I then installed 8 Mac updates (OS, iTunes, etc.) and rebooted.

It came up fine, but to be "safe", I ran the DellEFI package again using the Easy option. The only thing selected was to fix Bluetooth. I let it do it, but I've got no way to tell if it was necessary.

Everything seems to work fine, except it didn't wake up from sleep (with the lid closed) the one time I've tried it last night. I haven't tried to see if that was a fluke. Otherwise, so far, so good.

Note that I haven't tried to restore anything from the backup, and note that some complain that TimeMachine somehow slows down the solid-state hard drive - http://mydellmini.co...kup-t4337s20.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New The sleep problem is probably due to Firefox.
Completely quitting Firefox is a fix, or adjusting an idle setting in About:Config, at least according to this page:

http://support.mozil...=178042&forumId=1

Cheers,
Scott.
New DAMMINT! DAMMINT!
Dell Order Has Been Delayed For Order Number 661756589

DAMN DAMN DAMN!

Original purchase date: 02/28/2009
Original delivery date: 03/25/2009

Inspiron 910 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533MHz, 512K L2 Cache

Revised delivery date: 03/31/2009

Other people I know of (a corporate client) they ordered 6 of 'em, first 3 showed up at exactly 3 weeks out from purchase. They got 'em on March 4th. Still waiting on the last 3.

Some kinda back log there Dell...

Scooter... I hope this bodes better for you.

At least they show signs of catching up.
New If Apple notices exponential growth
-- in Dell's -9 order queue (as any mega-corp would haff vays of hearing about)

Will they retaliate? go with the flow and speed up the 'Organic' rollout?
Or just see it as an encouraging sign of ... just how many people Will choose OSX over Beastware, given a too-modest price to pass up? (Maybe a bunch of first-time folk, too?) What an AD!! if the info is spun copacetically, as Apple does so bloody well ...

(One presumes they have learned from Sony's ugly experience of viral DRM, as regards nailing a mini9 detected at Update. Doesn't one?)

Gotta love IT: at the crushing-edge of social issuez like Who Owns everything you can look at or read? / and does Everything need to have a micro-price, instantly assessed / attached to its every perusal?  and.. and..

New Heh. :-)
Mine's shipped!

Well, the extra battery anyway. ;-)

The Mini itself is still due to be delivered by 4/13, supposedly.

Hang in there.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: DAMMINT! DAMMINT!
BUMMER
New WTH? Pink Elephants?
ummm
hmmm
errr
well you see occifer.

Someone musta been/was drunk.

http://support.dell...._number=661756589

Err... ummm yeah Shipped on the 18th of March.

Edit:
Picked up even:

http://www.fedex.com...1259&action=track

FEH. Sure fixed that backlog quick.

Edit:
Well, at least they under-promise and over-deliver.
Expand Edited by folkert March 18, 2009, 11:48:59 PM EDT
Expand Edited by folkert March 19, 2009, 12:05:20 AM EDT
New Well, its here!
No time to work on it.

Shucks.
New ship it to me, I could get it done by the bash :-)
New DSK,,,
The files you need to install OSX are now missing...

Of course and update may be on the making.

But, for you, I think I know where you can get them...

FYI, you just need to ask.
New I think I'm Ok.
On Monday I think I downloaded everything mentioned previously in the various instructions:

DellMiniBoot123v8.01.iso.zip 9,183,019 bytes
Xslimmer_1.5.dmg 2,686,196 bytes
StripPPC.pkg.zip 11,690 bytes

Is there anything else?

Thanks.

[edit:] mentioned mentioned

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott March 20, 2009, 11:26:58 PM EDT
New Re: I think I'm Ok.
DellMiniBoot123v8.0.iso.zip

If 8.01 won't boot on your External DVD player.

You can choose not to install xtra stuff from the start, XSlimmer and StripPPC isn't *really* needed.
New I'll keep it in mind. Thankee.
New Bummer... OSX DVD bad!
I've got a bad OSX DVD. Gets to a certain point and bombs on extracting a package.

Doesn't verify on my iMac or the Mini9.

Off the the Apple store for an exchange.
Expand Edited by folkert March 21, 2009, 07:19:49 PM EDT
Expand Edited by folkert March 21, 2009, 07:20:08 PM EDT
New That sucks
their qc must be terrible. You are the 2nd person in as many weeks I've known with bad media.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New It does suck, but I worked around it!
It was a translation package and a printer driver package that were bad.

I deselected them and the install worked perfectly after that... but I'm still getting a new replacement OSX DVD.

Bleah.

BUT... I just am going through the software updates.

Next a reboot...

First pass, I'm going to re-install it anyway, if everything screws up.

Did the EFI install...

Sweet. It works.

BEGIN HARDWARE -------------------------------------------------------
WiFi worked after the third re-boot... a know quantity, but works every time since.

Ethernet works perfectly and fast (I got 11.2MBytes/sec transfer speeds on 100Mbit network)

Sound worked right off the bat. Clear and works well and is LOUD if you want it to be.

Bluetooth, works as advertised (haha its discoverable)

Video-Out work perfectly in "mirror mode" (horrible on a 21.6" LCD) or more desktop.

Trackpad - Just plain works

Card Reader - Just plain works, read: SD, SDHC, MS, MS-Pro and MMS

Audio i/o - Microphone and Speakers work just fine no problems as well as the speaker and mic jacks.

Sleep works fine. Just have to hit ESC right after it wakes to make it see the keyboard and stop looping. (even closing the screen works!)

Web-Cam - Works DANDY!
END HARDWARE -------------------------------------------------------

Battery give estimated time of 3:10 minutes after full charge. PLENTY!

Java apps work just fine after the "10.5.x" update from Apple, Firefox loads just fine, though it doesn't respect the "80%" display scaling setting so its a bit funky.

Security updates... everything just plain works.

The only thing a bit funky is the *F* keys.

The screen brightness works, sound control keys, sleep key.

The only thing I can't get to work: the Wireless and Bluetooth on/off key doesn't work...

Wait, it DOES work. I just didn't see it turn off in the bar.

This freakin rocks.
Expand Edited by folkert March 21, 2009, 09:39:53 PM EDT
Expand Edited by folkert March 21, 2009, 09:45:44 PM EDT
New sound works! off to craigslist
what are the mins maxes I have to work with, lot of dell linspires sun 350 around here
New What are you asking?
I purchased a NEW Dell Inspiron Mini 9n (910)

and ONLY the 910. Its a netbook dude.

I can't comment on anything else.

The compatibility matrix:
http://gadgets.boing...ook-compatib.html

This 910 has no Optical disk. It does play MPGs and AVIs just fine.

Plays flash, Java works, Firefox is happy, Safari is happy, the webcan works, Headphone and Mic jacks work.

Remember only the 910 (Mini 9) works this way.

It small and works.
New like this but a bigger HD?
http://atlanta.craig...s/1080504431.html
New BUY A NEW ONE.
Really... by the time you futz with it.

Just buy a new one.

I've $615 total in this, with the cost of OSX.
New Wow. Apple is really missing this...
Form Factor in their line-up.

OSX == pure joy on this thing. Linux == pure joy on this thing (though the "netbook oriented" interface sucked).

Windows... I don't know... probably not so good.

I can't explain it. Its very good on Linux and OSX.

If Apple had a machine in this form-factor for even $700... I'd have bought it.

Contrast is awesome.
Color support is awesome.
Sound is nice.
Networking is superb.
Sleep support just works.
The webcam is nice.
The trackpad is very mac-ish in feel.
3 USB ports
1 multi format reader
Video Out works nicely

F keys work, but the require pressing the "Fn" key first and then one of the A-S-D-F-G-H-J-K-L-: keys

Couple of keys are located not where you'd expect.

Its something. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm just agape on this form factor.
New I wonder how much time we have
Sold.. a perfect complement to iMac non-portability.
If You can't find any anomalies (admittedly early-on) ... that's worth about 120 amateur 'reviews'.

Strategy question arises (for me.) Having just paid actual $ for first 'new' machine since the '01 eMachine,
I Want One Now is not a suitable psychological state to indulge ... for a while.
OTOH, one must surely wonder.. whether Steve's response to this serendipitous pairing shall be

+? (hey it's great pre-Mac marketing!) or
-? Do a Redmond number NOW! on all upgrades which do not detect a [____] on the machine.

Point: so in worst case, we're busted, but at the level of security and other patches extant today.
Behind a firewall, well -- Beast98-Lite managed 7.5 years sans a single disinfection required.
So then, were Updates to become unobtainable .?. For the likes of moi -- so, what? Digits don't age.
(And always there's *nix, though it ain't the same.)

Now Dell is ~3 weeks? behind on orders..
I've no idea how susceptible is Steve, to manic decisions -?- but depending upon build-date of a purchased DVD,
one would want latest patches before a drought.
(Now, if they do roll-ups for later install for corps, then presumably there's no rush for this-all.)
Someone could get the patches, though maybe not so easily.

What think the odds?

New Ooooh: looks like I Gets to Play too!
Build one for neighbor.. and borrow. Or trade a cat? (No Way.)

Guess it will take a while.. time to accumulate .dmgs etc.

Memory: DDR2 at 533MHz; unclear if 1 or 2 slots. If 2 slots and base has 1x1 GB ==> get another 1 GB;else 2 GB, as will likely do just fine. Seem to have read somewhere that up-to 4GB is possible, but concern was raised re heat. I

Any old (decent mfg.) with just these bare specs, or is latency and other detail needed?
(And if a deal appears on faster: advisable or not? for all those timing reasons.)

I expect that staying with Dell's 64G SSD makes most sense, as said == warranty, etc. and so-far, price.
Noted this at Newegg (read [-] review) for an alt. 64GB on sale via mail-in BS rebate:
http://www.newegg.co..._-LC5A-_-20227373

Mayhap these designs are going to vary for a while, so no point in hunting til 128 GB gets to $100.

There are a couple heftier batteries, I note, claiming ~ 2X Watt-hrs. (Amazon or Newegg?)
3 hrs seems also adequate, and Dell seems to have no option for the heftier battery.

Fun :-Þ
New Neat!
The memory stick at the post office has some information that may be helpful for this project.

The Mini has 1 memory slot. Any memory that you get with it will need to be replaced to expand the total. I got 512 MB for that reason, then spent ~ $20 + shipping for a 2 GB stick from Newegg.

http://mydellmini.co...de-guide-t78.html

I just went with Dell's 64 GB drive as I didn't want to take a risk on some other SSD not working as well. (There are various memory types that are being used in SSDs and they've got varying plusses and minuses.)

I got a second battery from Dell as I have not had good luck with aftermarket batteries. YMMV. If you don't need it at the moment, I'd wait (maybe prices will come down and/or the aftermarket batteries may get better).

Have fun!

Cheers,
Scott.

New The SSD in the Netbook Dell Mini9 is PATA
Careful, DSK is right. Only certain ones will work.

Details on the Disk:
STEC PATA 64GB:

Capacity: 57.4 GB
Model: STEC PATA 64GB
Revision: E5221-10
Serial Number: ************
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: No
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
MiniMAC:
Capacity: 57.08 GB
Available: 46.13 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

Bank 0/M1:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 533 MHz
Manufacturer: Unknown
Part Number: Unknown
Serial Number: Unknown

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DELL--Lion-11
Manufacturer: DELL
Device name:
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0000
Hardware Revision: 0000
Cell Revision: 0000
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3104
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3200
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1066
Voltage (mV): 11100

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: Third Party Wireless Card
Current Wireless Network: Fluffernutter
Wireless Channel: 9

edited on the Mini9 with OSX.
Expand Edited by folkert March 24, 2009, 09:29:00 PM EDT
New Thanks -- an interesting SSD history found
en passant:
https://knol.google....e/agcgl3d72o7h/3#

(I remember The Sharp PC-5000, introduced in 1983, used 128 kilobyte (128 KiB) solid-state storage cartridges, containing bubble memory..
Had one briefly -- mainly for the bubble memory as commercial item! It was really slow, though.)

Then ran across this alternate, apparently STEC
http://www.memoryc.i...Mini_9/index.html

Pity the Dell's not SATA, eh? Like:
http://www.ncixus.co...=OCZ%20Technology
== big Sale too, for 128 GB. Yeah: not-PATA..

Can't quite grok the iMac being >shrunk this far!<
Ha! think of the fun plonking self down amidst the Macbooks at your local overpriced latte purveyor;
I think that just might be worth a $5 cup of coffee.

New Just updated to OSX 10.5.7
Only had to re-install the EFI stuff (version 1.1) in safe boot.

Download the stand alone package first, if you are on 10.5.6.

Otherwise use the combo installer for 10.5.5 and older (10.5.x)

(1) this is the 10.5.7 update from 10.5.6 == http://supportdownlo...cOSXUpd10.5.7.dmg

(2) This is the Combo Update for 10.5.5 and earlier == http://support.apple..._5_7_Combo_Update

(3) the v1.1 of the DellEFI == http://mydellmini.go...es/DellEFI1.1.zip

(4) the updated AboutThisMac.pkg == http://www.mediafire.../AboutThisMac.pkg

1) Install the 10.5.7 update, reboot
2) use "-x" o boot in safe mode (hitting enter while waiting for count down and type "-x")
3) Install DellEFI v1.1 and remove the existing dsdt.aml
4) use "-x" o boot in safe mode (hitting enter while waiting for count down and type "-x")
5) Install DellEFI v1.1 and accept the defaults
6) Reboot regularly
7) Install the AboutThisMac.pkg file and it tidies up the defs
8) Install the iTunes, Airport, iLife (and other programs updates) and Quicktime updates and reboot.

10.5.7 update extended my time on battery by about 40% from 3 hours to about 4 hours 15 minutes(+- 5 minutes). It also optimized the boot time down about 10 seconds to the login screen and about 20 seconds off the finishing of the login. One last thing it appears the Battery will be better managed as well doing the "cycles" more properly.
New thx greg, passed along to local intersted parties
New Make sure they get the proper EFI/Stuff
for the machine they have...

DellEFI only works on the Dell Mini9 and one other machine.
New they have already upgraded the OS
guess you better enjoy the machine because they are discontinued
http://mydellmini.com/
New Knew that.
Was announced to Be ~June 8th... but parts shortage kiboshed that.
New Thanks!
     Just bought a Dell Mini 9 - (folkert) - (66)
         I'm all ears.. - (Ashton)
         Would that they would sell that in AU... :-( - (static)
         Eventually you'll need this - (lincoln) - (1)
             Not really. - (folkert)
         Are you worried that OS X updates will break it? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Its not a hack to install. - (folkert)
         let me know about audio quality -NT - (boxley)
         Here's a video on it - (Bman) - (1)
             Yup... - (folkert)
         Hackintoshing can be fun, but you better be ready for it - (Bman) - (7)
             Excellent. Thanks very much. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Better order NOW... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Thanks. I'm tempted to get 2... :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Greg how is yours working -NT - (Bman)
                     sound son. how is the sound? -NT - (boxley)
             built it on a dell d600 - (boxley) - (1)
                 Thanks. I'll get to looking. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Good thing I reread your post... - (Another Scott) - (18)
             Coolio... - (folkert) - (3)
                 Yup. - (Another Scott)
                 I love a mystery - (Ashton) - (1)
                     fast method - (boxley)
             for $200 more you could get the real deal :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Too big and heavy. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Ding Ding Ding! - (folkert)
             I don't know about Dell... - (Another Scott) - (10)
                 I had similar episode. - (folkert) - (1)
                     Im glad I didnt get one now - (boxley)
                 So... - (folkert) - (7)
                     They needed a signature... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         I've got OSX on it and... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Thanks. Good point. I'll have to think on this... -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Posting from it, booting Ubuntu. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     Installed OS X 10.5.6 Retail; it's almost too easy. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Backed up, Installed updates, ran DellEFI again. No probs. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             The sleep problem is probably due to Firefox. - (Another Scott)
         DAMMINT! DAMMINT! - (folkert) - (4)
             If Apple notices exponential growth - (Ashton)
             Heh. :-) - (Another Scott)
             Re: DAMMINT! DAMMINT! - (Bman)
             WTH? Pink Elephants? - (folkert)
         Well, its here! - (folkert) - (5)
             ship it to me, I could get it done by the bash :-) -NT - (boxley)
             DSK,,, - (folkert) - (3)
                 I think I'm Ok. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Re: I think I'm Ok. - (folkert) - (1)
                         I'll keep it in mind. Thankee. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Bummer... OSX DVD bad! - (folkert) - (6)
             That sucks - (beepster) - (5)
                 It does suck, but I worked around it! - (folkert) - (4)
                     sound works! off to craigslist - (boxley) - (3)
                         What are you asking? - (folkert) - (2)
                             like this but a bigger HD? - (boxley) - (1)
                                 BUY A NEW ONE. - (folkert)
         Wow. Apple is really missing this... - (folkert) - (1)
             I wonder how much time we have - (Ashton)
         Ooooh: looks like I Gets to Play too! - (Ashton) - (3)
             Neat! - (Another Scott)
             The SSD in the Netbook Dell Mini9 is PATA - (folkert) - (1)
                 Thanks -- an interesting SSD history found - (Ashton)
         Just updated to OSX 10.5.7 - (folkert) - (5)
             thx greg, passed along to local intersted parties -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 Make sure they get the proper EFI/Stuff - (folkert) - (2)
                     they have already upgraded the OS - (boxley) - (1)
                         Knew that. - (folkert)
             Thanks! -NT - (Another Scott)

Switch view to kaleidoscopic.
220 ms