1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Strange video artifact problem
Ubuntu 8.10
Acer Aspire 4315-2004 laptop
Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

As soon as I power up, the splash screen shows a "ghosting" effect. The graphic has a shadow. This continues into X once that starts. Example: http://cooklikeyourg...es/Screenshot.png

It seems to come and go, as though it might be sensitive to temperature of the system.

How do I research this?
--

Drew
New What are we looking for?
Except for the fact that it's not Aqua, that image seems fine.

(Please note that if there are obvious issues with that image that I'm not seeing (other than the fact that it's not Aqua), I'm going to claim that I've been sitting at my computer since 7:30am straight, working, and I'm tired.) ;-)
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New *Forehead smack*
Well of course the screenshot wouldn't grab it. That probably grabs the image before it goes through the video driver.

Or does it? If I'm seeing video problems that are not visible from a screencap, does that mean it's a hardware problem?
--

Drew
New Typically... this has to do with
Driving the LCD screen with to high a frequency...

But since its from turn on... I'd be thinking its a hardware issue with either the screen itself or the "cable" between the video card and screen.

And Yes I know you say "The Cable between?", yes the cable between. Its now typically a ribbon-esq style of cables and you might be seeing degradation or perhaps the connector to the video card isn't right some how.

In any case, if you can boot up another OS and see what happens (you know Windows is required for troubleshooting don't you).

Good luck. As to where to look into this... lookup the hardware itself and add on your problems without any OS specific terms.

And if you could take that awesome camera of your and take a shot... I think you'd be able to get more feedback.
New Might be fixed
Finally figured out how to pop off the piece of plastic covering the cable and re-seated it. It hasn't happened again, but then it always was intermittent. I hate intermittent.
--

Drew
New Dirty glasses?
Sorry, as Alex said in a reply to Box, "Couldn't resist".

:-)
New Too much pr0n, it's affecting his vision...
New Maybe I should wait til my eyeballs stop jiggling
--

Drew
New Looked Reeel close, BTW:
While I, too did not see what you described ... used the bitchin Zoom-thingy to peer at fonts:
it appears to my un- typographically-tutored eyeballs that Your fonts are more, er granular than even the super-sharp iMac ones.
That is, the apparent-sharpness of the black/white edges prolly goes to iMac, but: there seem to be more 'elements' (lines, curves) -per-character to yours!

(iMac default that is; dunno what else might improve on that. Yet.)
I expect that Peter and others have some views on which be the bitchinest fonts ... to use a technical term which only we epicures know.

Posit:
Apparently the eye/brain weights the really-sharp edge contrast higher than the actual %linear-fill of a given character ??

(I still need to sort out preferred sizes, font choices and other trivia which, together gilds the lily to a fare-thee-well. Poco á poco.)

New That should be Bitstream Vera Sans
Ubuntu, so Gnome desktop. Check this out with your zoomer.

http://cooklikeyourg.../images/fonts.png

I suspect "best contrast" would look more like what you're seeing on your Mac.
--

Drew
New Most illuminating -
(Saved for other comparos)

Zoomed ridiculously, clearly the contrast Is higher for the 'assembled pixel-blocks', but the smoothed sample reveals its method: can see the use of color to smooth via illusion; clever lads.. Smooth beats highest-contrast, yet from one angle, technically: via added-fuzziness!

This font display shows it perfectly. Thanks
New That ain't "Bitstream" in that thar piccy
You need to select the right font names in there...

Those is just the default fonts that come with Gnome.

http://www.gregfolke...nt-Selections.png

And Remember... these are taken at 72dpi... being the default for the screen capture stuffs.
New Oh yeah
I mostly use Firefox and Gimp on this lappy, so I forgot to set the desktop defaults to Bitstream after my last reload. Thanks for the reminder.
--

Drew
     Strange video artifact problem - (drook) - (12)
         What are we looking for? - (mvitale) - (11)
             *Forehead smack* - (drook) - (10)
                 Typically... this has to do with - (folkert) - (1)
                     Might be fixed - (drook)
                 Dirty glasses? - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                     Too much pr0n, it's affecting his vision... -NT - (jake123) - (6)
                         Maybe I should wait til my eyeballs stop jiggling -NT - (drook) - (5)
                             Looked Reeel close, BTW: - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 That should be Bitstream Vera Sans - (drook) - (3)
                                     Most illuminating - - (Ashton)
                                     That ain't "Bitstream" in that thar piccy - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Oh yeah - (drook)

Dang a lang, dang a lang.
113 ms