IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New To quote Professor Jones.
"Archaeology is the search for FACTS, not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Prof. Tyree's Philosophy course is right down the hall ... "

You would be amazed at the number of people who do not understand the difference between "facts" and "truth".

I believe this all started with him claiming that we are able to approach "truth" through observation.
I will note the fact that you're using a "t" in that "truth" instead of a "T".

To illustrate this, tell me the "Truth" about people.
New Too easy
"Archaeology is the search for FACTS, not truth."

Tell that to a creationist looking at Carbon 14 dating results.

(edit)
Which, yes, proves your point about "fact" depending on your preconceptions. But remember, I already acknowledged that the best (I think) we can hope for is a ever-closer approximation of the truth.
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
Expand Edited by drewk Feb. 27, 2002, 10:57:53 AM EST
New Which brings us back to "The Truth" (please note the "T"'s)
Tell that to a creationist looking at Carbon 14 dating results.
I also believe that "Creationist" is spelled with a "C". Now, is there any Creationist that doesn't already know "The Truth"?

So, the Creationist will accept or reject "facts" based upon how they fit with his/her preconceived notion of "The Truth".

For example, any "facts" that cast doubt on C14 dating will be accepted.

Any "facts" that validate C14 dating will be rejected. (or, at best, invalidated because of the "facts" mentioned in the previous line.)

But remember, I already acknowledged that the best (I think) we can hope for is a ever-closer approximation of the truth.
Hmmmm, I think the problem is that you don't understand that there is a difference between "truth" and "The Truth".

"truth" == "facts" for sufficiently small facts and small truths.
I have blond hair. That is a fact. That is the truth.

Now, again, to illustrate this point, tell me "The Truth" about people. This is the SECOND time I've asked you to do this.
     Truth, facts, and sour grapes. - (marlowe) - (64)
         And that's your "Truth"? - (Brandioch) - (28)
             For those who need to think in concrete terms. - (Brandioch)
             Planet of the Whiners. - (marlowe) - (2)
                 Reply to my other post, then. - (Brandioch)
                 Whiners and the truth - (nking)
             To illustrate it with math. - (Brandioch) - (23)
                 It's not a coin toss for all of us. - (marlowe) - (22)
                     Before you go... If I may... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Don't forget the initial assumptions. - (Brandioch)
                         If that's really his point... - (marlowe) - (1)
                             Reality just doesn't exist for you, does it? - (Brandioch)
                     No random chance here - (nking)
                     You still don't want to see the facts. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                         Some people have to lie to get to the truth - (nking) - (3)
                             One more time... - (mhuber) - (2)
                                 That wasn't the big one - (drewk) - (1)
                                     I see that as a condemnation of - (mhuber)
                     Once.. such hubris might have been entertaining - (Ashton) - (7)
                         How hubristic of you to presume you know better than I. - (marlowe) - (6)
                             Marlowe defeated the Nazis? - (Brandioch)
                             Ah.. there's the root/rub: John Dewey Pragmatism lives! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 I'm still waiting for him to explain Clinton. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                     Attila got even More done.. - (Ashton)
                                     Only on planet Brandioch. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                         Thus proving my point. - (Brandioch)
                     Another illustration - The Placebo Effect. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Re: "The Truth" according to the Rev. Ashcroft. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Oops - blong under Alex, re Ashcroft - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Yes, one can always hope for s sense of humor. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         A relevant fact you should note - (ben_tilly) - (29)
             Re: A relevant fact you should note - (Steve Lowe)
             Duly noted. - (marlowe) - (27)
                 Mrs. Scarlett, in the library, with the candlestick. - (Brandioch)
                 Since this is the Religion, Philosophy and Meta - (screamer) - (25)
                     Real life is the reference point. - (marlowe) - (24)
                         Real life? Who's real life? - (screamer) - (2)
                             The sun'll come up tomorrow... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 When I think of a day that grey and lonely... - (screamer)
                         Oh, and by the way, did you even read my post? - (screamer) - (20)
                             You realize you're agreeing with him? - (drewk) - (19)
                                 To quote Professor Jones. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                     Too easy - (drewk) - (1)
                                         Which brings us back to "The Truth" (please note the "T"'s) - (Brandioch)
                                 I'm affraid I can't give you that point entirely... - (screamer) - (12)
                                     Certainty != Truth - (drewk) - (11)
                                         Shame on me... Semantics 101 - (screamer) - (10)
                                             What I meant - (drewk) - (9)
                                                 It's good to see you finally joining me. - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                     Gee, tough question - (drewk) - (5)
                                                         Ah, another "proof" of my point. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                             Your point is rather dull - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Re-read your posts. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                     No need - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                         Yes you do need to. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Fair. - (screamer) - (1)
                                                     What we clever animals are up to - (Ashton)
                                 Recall the full quote. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     I don't see the problem - (drewk) - (1)
                                         So why can't you answer my question? - (Brandioch)
         Having read for comprehension, with all previous judgments - (Ashton)
         a couple of thoughts - (boxley) - (1)
             Well, that's what you get for not doing a reality check. - (marlowe)
         But you can't. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             You even quoted it - (drewk)

True, there's a part of the horse's anatomy involved, but it's not the mouth...
88 ms