IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And what makes you think you look any different here?
New Why, your presence, of course!
When the nutcases send in their loudest and dumbest, you know they're in trouble :-)
New I guess MSFT is expecting to lose, then...
New Sure! Just like they always do :-)
New It ain't over til Judge K-K sings.
And I hope she's checking out the Thesaurus for some suitable legalese synonyms for.. slimy, unprincipled, sociopathic greed. And practicing her scales - especially that high C# which clashes with any melody (like the Other one).

Meanwhile.. tell us again about the misunderstood, magnanimous just-plain-folks what gave you yer epaulets and sent you out on a suicide mission.

Ashton
just-plain-folk too.
Need a couple bucks for rehab? A little sodium pentothal, perhaps?
New Re: It ain't over til Judge K-K sings.
Meanwhile.. tell us again about the misunderstood, magnanimous just-plain-folks what gave you yer epaulets and sent you out on a suicide mission.

Ah, it's not so bad. Wading through this cesspool is a dirty job, but it's hardly suicide :-)
New My what colorful intellekchul epithets you have
Are these suggested by the Astroturf manual - or just as you remember them from grammar school?

So it's cut & dried then.. all those e-mails, all those court proceedings - were no real reflection of the mindsets, the dialogue and actions of your Alma Pater. It's all been 10+ years of a horrible misunderstanding, a folie a milliones - all uniformly Wrong about the facts, the motives, the activities and - the consequences for any semblance of 'competition' in the industry.

Let me guess: I'll bet you'll stake your reputation! upon this all having been a massive error, falsified testimony by envious competitors and the sour grapes badmouthing of legions of folks too stupid to recognize - the greatest software inna world - industriously crafted by a quite ethical corporation.

Those threats to the OEMs, the preloading or ya get zippo, the DRDOS (settled with nondisclosure), Stacker, etc. - just Never Happened\ufffd

Izzat it, close enough?

How could we have been so blind?

Ashton
never mind.

New Yes, but over at Petrele's VarLinux forum . .
. . we've got a real UberShill, [link|http://www.varlinux.org/article.php?sid=755&mode=&order=0&thold=0|Alex Tabarrok], who, through his The Independent Institute, has collected well over a quarter of a million $$ for his shilling - a shill so powerful he posts under his own name (and publishes "independently researched" books by members of Microsoft's defense team).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Yes, but over at Petrele(y)'s VarLinux forum . .
{sigh}

Well, he can't be a First String Shill.. After dropping his boilerplate - he faded as the ripostes went for the jugular.

The usual tactic is to insert a non-sequitur, like
..but what about dropping the 'tieing' issue?

(Kinda like the famous guy who'd show up at Nixon rallies with his sign, What About the Hughes Loan? IIRC that was Dick Tuck.)

Imagine what it would be like to be an intelligent (and throw in too, 'informed'?) person.. taking money to go around and try nothing less than fucking.. dissembling - overt lying via omission, obfuscation and patently false semantic tricks.

How is it that Murican bizness seems to turn out such critters wholesale? daleross comes to mind, Mr. If it's legal it's ethical Hisself.

Screw it. The execrable ones are the unimaginitive clones - saw how M$ did it and.. adapted. 'Whore' is an insult to honorable sex-workers who keep unstable assholes from running amok, hurting innocents - 'cause no one Would screw them (except for cash). That's not even dishonorable. Lying creeps are.

Ashton
New I think they're going to lose badly this time.

It's pretty simple, really. They tried to tell the judge what she was and was not qualified to comment on. They tried the same stunt with the other guy too... which didn't work out too well for them.

Simply put, you don't get what you want out of the justice system by trying to tell the judge they're not allowed to do something, esp. when it clearly is within her purview...

Finally, you're forgetting that they've already lost... they're guilty. The only question is the punishment. Personally, I think that KK is going to rip Ashcroft's DoJ a new one for the anemic agreement they came up with.

There's one other issue to consider as well... the marketplace. Between 09/11 and Enron, people are feeling a lot less tolerant of the kinds of shenanigans that MSFT (and many others) have been getting up to over the last fifteen years or so. I think you (and the marketing mavens at MSFT) are about to get very surprised by the paradigm shift that's occurring right now in the zeitgeist of the marketplace.

While we're on the subject... you might to well to consider the damage that MSFT and its behaviour has done to US competitiveness in the global marketplace. A lot of countries are trying very hard to get away from MSFT, because they don't trust them and they don't trust their products. The free ride that MSFT seems to be getting from the regime (not the justice system, the regime) only emphasizes those trust issues in their minds... and extends those trust issues to the US as a whole.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
* Jack Troughton jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
New I think you're way optimistic
While she may remand the remedies back to the Justice Department for reconsideration, I think they'll just roll over again. I don't think the nine dissenting states will be enough to tilt the balance.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New I don't.

Personally, I think she's going to slap them silly. The judiciary is one of the three branches, and has a responsibility to reign in the other two when they don't do their job properly. I think that this is one of those times... and, if I read the signs aright, I think that the judiciary is beginning to think that this is one of those times.

The RIAA just got slapped, Enron is there as an object example of what will be coming much more often if the slapping doesn't start (let's face it, while their and their accountant's actions are hardly ethical, moral, nor even necessarily legal, they're depressingly common), and the rot appears to be spreading pretty quickly... while we haven't heard a lot about it, there are some other big bankruptcies going on right now, all with the whiff of crooked accounting attached to them.

Here's another factor to consider: K-K ordered them to turn their source over, and there hasn't been a peep from anyone on the subject, least of all MSFT. This would seem to imply that they just handed it over. A lot of the posturing seems to be gone from them. If they've succeeded in convincing her that they're conmen and scam artists (and I can think of a few stunts they've pulled over the last few months that would tend to that interpretation of their characters), she has the power to crush them... esp. if she believes that the DoJ isn't going to do it... and considering some of the tales about the settlement (back room negotiation between the one political guy on the team and MSFT, other DoJ lawyers excluded, and sudden capitulation) she may be coming around to believing just that.

You gotta read between the lines with judges, esp. careful ones... and K-K comes across as a careful one. However, if you read judge speak, she's already slapped them around severely a few times... I bet their lawyers are beginning to feel a little bruised, and that some of the top executives are beginning to feel a little scared. Their only problem is... they can't afford to show that fear, which is leading them into further problems. I mean, how do you think K-K is going to take the news that MSFT is using the settlement as a way of pushing their way into their customer's IP? Do you think that she's going to believe that they've figured out that they need to behave like a good monopoly now?

--
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
New Gates, Ballmer scared?
By their actions, you shall know them.

They aren't scared at all, they're still going full-tilt. Even using the terms of the proposed settlement to put the squeeze on OEM's (what a surprise). Not the actions of a company in fear of anything.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Yeah... you're right.

Those two are too dumb to be scared.

In all seriousness... I think that those actions are going to turn out to be the last gasps of a dying yet still powerful entity. Have you heard about the new lawsuit? I read that they're being sued by a large group of their customer base... HP, Compaq, et. al. The only big player not in on it is Dell (gee, I wonder why). Sony is coming after them too... I suspect that MSFT may find that Sony is something beyond their bullying power... Sony has other resources; they're not a one-trick pony with a sole supplier problem like the big US OEMs.

Nope... the vultures are circling, because they are all intelligent enough to see the signs. They're just waiting for K-K to deliver the coup-de-grace before moving in to tear at the carcass...

--
     Judge order MS to hand over source code - (JayMehaffey) - (149)
         Re: Judge order MS to hand over source code - (Yendor)
         What a precedent! - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             If it's true, CKK certainly has guts - (tonytib)
         Holy mother of pearl! - (Silverlock)
         Interesting (?) vote percentages - (Ashton) - (1)
             I'm wondering about the size of the fine - (Silverlock)
         How to test it? - (Brandioch) - (4)
             General idea - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                 Obfuscation. - (static) - (2)
                     Re: Obfuscation (I guess you're against it...) - (jb4) - (1)
                         OT: I am getting *so* many comments about by my icon! :-) -NT - (static)
         Nuttiness - (Squidley) - (137)
             Semantics - (wharris2) - (136)
                 Re: Semantics - (Squidley) - (135)
                     But it's not modular. - (wharris2) - (122)
                         No? - (Squidley) - (121)
                             No. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                 I Respectfully Disagree - (Squidley) - (6)
                                     Your questions are answered in news stories. - (Another Scott)
                                     If it >IS< "modular"............. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                         Re: If it >IS< "modular"............. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                             Definitions vs. designs. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                 Re: Definitions vs. designs. - (Squidley) - (1)
                                                     So, now we look at history. - (Brandioch)
                             What? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Oops, You're Right! - (Squidley)
                             Modules that cannot be replaced or removed - (imric) - (76)
                                 Re: Modules that cannot be replaced or removed - (Squidley) - (75)
                                     No. - (imric) - (74)
                                         APIs & Modularity - (Squidley) - (73)
                                             Re: APIs & Modularity - (drewk) - (71)
                                                 Re: APIs & Modularity - (Squidley) - (69)
                                                     This is really funny. - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                                                         Re: This is really funny. - (Squidley) - (22)
                                                             MS should control PC configuration? - (warmachine) - (6)
                                                                 Re: MS should control PC configuration? - (Squidley) - (5)
                                                                     you are absolutely right - (boxley)
                                                                     I haven't met one that wouldn't. - (Brandioch)
                                                                     A natural monopoly would be leverage into a free market. - (warmachine)
                                                                     How the monopoly works. - (bepatient)
                                                                     Homogenity over all. - (imric)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (Steven A S) - (2)
                                                                 Have to have a command processor? - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                     On Win9X - (Steven A S)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Architectures - (Squidley)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Re: This is really funny. - (Squidley) - (8)
                                                                     And just exactly how long would it take . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                                         Thank you... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Besides which ... - (drewk)
                                                                         Re: And just exactly how long would it take . . - (Squidley)
                                                                         But would it work? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                             Kinda like coding around non-standard behaviour in IE? :) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                                                                 Oh shock non-standard IE behavior? (me quivers) - (wharris2)
                                                                     OK - (pwhysall)
                                                     You ARE Michel Le Moron! - (jb4) - (44)
                                                         Dont accuse - (boxley)
                                                         Naah, just went to the same . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (41)
                                                             Re: Naah, just went to the same . . . - (Squidley) - (40)
                                                                 Cosmic-proportion delusions of grandeur from a bad $hilling - (CRConrad) - (39)
                                                                     Nah. - (imric) - (38)
                                                                         No, I'm fairly sure he's serious; he's $hilling for real. - (CRConrad) - (37)
                                                                             Squidley-Diddley; - (imric) - (36)
                                                                                 Yeah, but if you're stupid enough, why let that stop you? - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                                                                     I can't believe you didn't catch this - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                                                         Yeah, I know - but how the heck could I... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                         I used my usual spell checker . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                                                             Just tried your spell checker - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                                 Hmmm . . no such message from Google here . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                                     Those damn bats. They're everywhere. - (Silverlock)
                                                                                             So much for those right-wing "think tank" innaleckchuls, eh? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                                     I always have to laugh... - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                         Well if Squidley is not... - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                                                             Re: Well if Squidley is not... - (Squidley) - (14)
                                                                                                 And what makes you think you look any different here? -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                                                                                     Why, your presence, of course! - (Squidley) - (12)
                                                                                                         I guess MSFT is expecting to lose, then... -NT - (jake123) - (11)
                                                                                                             Sure! Just like they always do :-) -NT - (Squidley) - (10)
                                                                                                                 It ain't over til Judge K-K sings. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                                                                     Re: It ain't over til Judge K-K sings. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                                                                                                         My what colorful intellekchul epithets you have - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                         Yes, but over at Petrele's VarLinux forum . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, but over at Petrele(y)'s VarLinux forum . . - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                 I think they're going to lose badly this time. - (jake123) - (4)
                                                                                                                     I think you're way optimistic - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                                                                         I don't. - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                                                             Gates, Ballmer scared? - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Yeah... you're right. - (jake123)
                                                                                     Hey! - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                         *Snort* - (Silverlock)
                                                                                         "Training ground"? Dunno... Let's hope it's more like... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                                                             I noticed (possibly coincidence...possibly not) - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                                 Really.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                                                     Karsten gave me the archives... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                                         True - the roster was larger (and heavier?) - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                                                             If you are nice - (imric) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Would have to be ftp... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Legal - (kmself) - (1)
                                                                                                                         Thats essentially my thinking. - (bepatient)
                                                         You ARE too kind! - (Squidley)
                                                 Intent - (Andrew Grygus)
                                             No. - (imric)
                             Are you for real?!? - (jb4) - (33)
                                 Hey, is that a trick question? - (Squidley) - (32)
                                     No tricks, just treats - (jb4) - (30)
                                         No, gems! - (Squidley) - (29)
                                             Bwaaahaaahhaaaa!! - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                 Re: Bwaaahaaahhaaaa!! - (Squidley)
                                             Are you REALLY that dense (or do they pay for stupidity?) - (jb4) - (4)
                                                 There you go again with the trick questions. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                                     NTFS != HTML - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Re: NTFS != HTML - (Squidley) - (1)
                                                             Don't bogart tht joint, my friend... - (jb4)
                                             Why did you drop the other threads? - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                 Need... some... WD-40... - (Squidley) - (5)
                                                     Ummm . . aren't you working overtime? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         I could shill 18/7..........if...........the price was right - (Brandioch)
                                                     A kinder, gentler, Microsoft at work... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         Be aware that this new policy . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             I have a remedy, then: - (Ashton)
                                             Wow... - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                 Now, now... - (Squidley) - (13)
                                                     I could almost grant such a Pollyanna view of it all.. - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                         As I have been saying for years . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                             Do you mean that *recently* the CRM folks spilled their guts - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                 Siebel is the main victim here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                                     Speaking of Accounting software . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                         Scary.. 7 years to find all the important glitches - (Ashton)
                                                                     Andrew, care to update the current status? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                         Update - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                             And Thank God for that. -NT - (folkert)
                                                         Quick question: - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             'a' as in the Sinclair Lewis book, "Babbitt" Still: :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                     *chuckle* - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         Re: *chuckle* - (Squidley)
                                     I guess you didn't read the MS memos from the trial. - (Another Scott)
                     *sigh* Again? - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         Re: *sigh* Again? - (Squidley) - (8)
                             But they don't have to be non-working. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                 Re: But they don't have to be non-working. - (Squidley) - (6)
                                     Now that would be stupid. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                         Re: Now that would be stupid. - (Squidley) - (4)
                                             Pick one - (drewk)
                                             Purpose - (Steve Lowe)
                                             Bzzzzzt! - (Brandioch)
                                             And another thing ... - (drewk)
                     I believe the anti-trust trial showed IE wasn't modular - (warmachine) - (1)
                         +5 Informative. - (static)

I'm reconciled to the existence of idiots in the world, but I'm bitterly resentful of whoever it was who first thought to make computer technology available to them.
222 ms