IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No.
Hey,

Trolling again, eh? Oh well, welcome back.

Is that how you're evaluating modularity? File size? What would you say is the maximum size of a DLL below which it's modular and above which it isn't?

[link|http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=modular|Modular] has a recognized meaning. In this case, meaning 2 fits best:

* Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use: modular furniture; modular homes.

Modular programs have units which are restricted to single logical tasks.

By the way, did you not know that in the COM world a single DLL may host any number of independent components?

Is that relevant? One still has to load the entire DLL in memory to use any of those independent components, doesn't one?

I consider IE modular because I can reuse portions of its functionality in many different ways. The whole thing is a collection of separate components that can be reused independently - the HTML engine, the GUI widget, etc.

I guess you'd consider [link|http://www.ikea.com|IKEA] to be a modular store because they sell modular furniture, too. I hope you can see the connection.

Having a huge DLL made up of interconnected and intertwined functions and modules that can be called separately isn't modular programming.

Windows XP even has an option to remove IE. That doesn't do Netscape much good however, since Windows' standard file manager (EXPLORER.EXE) also exposes the Web browsing capability. When you remove IE, all you're removing is the tiny IEXPLORE.EXE container application.

Squidley: You can remove IE's stub but you can't remove IE because it's not modular.

Thanks for proving our point.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I Respectfully Disagree
Trolling again, eh? Oh well, welcome back.

Nah, just discussing. I'd really like to know what the states expect to prove with the code. Some people here seem delighted with this latest courtroom development. Perhaps they could answer?

Modular programs have units which are restricted to single logical tasks.

You mean tasks like HTML parsing, HTML rendering, interactive browsing, etc.? Looks like IE fits the bill.

One still has to load the entire DLL in memory to use any of those independent components, doesn't one?

Logically speaking, yes, but of course paged virtual memory systems typically load individual pages on demand. In any case, this is irrelevant as DLL boundaries don't map to module or component boundaries, and IE consists of many DLLs anyway.

I guess you'd consider IKEA to be a modular store because they sell modular furniture, too. I hope you can see the connection.

No, sorry, I'm missing your point here. Could you elaborate?

Having a huge DLL made up of interconnected and intertwined functions and modules that can be called separately isn't modular programming.

Well, thanks for telling me what modular programming isn't. Now could you tell me what it is, and why IE doesn't qualify?

You can remove IE's stub but you can't remove IE because it's not modular.

Umm, no, you can't remove IE because its multiple independent modules (which are of course the result of modular programming) are reused by dozens of applications vital to the product.

Thanks for proving our point.

Forgive me if I don't yield just yet :-)
New Your questions are answered in news stories.
Hi,

I'd really like to know what the states expect to prove with the code. Some people here seem delighted with this latest courtroom development. Perhaps they could answer?

If you'd read the [link|http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/02/16/microsoft.code.reut/index.html|CNN] story at the head of this thread about CKK's ruling, and a [link|http://www.washtech.com/news/regulation/15173-1.html|Washtech] story about the request, you'dl see the states' arguments.

Washtech:
"Microsoft cannot base its defense on the design of its source code and simultaneously deny the litigating states the opportunity to test those arguments by interrogating the code," the states said in their filing.

CNN:
Nine state attorneys general had argued that they needed to see the Windows source code in order to verify Microsoft's claim it could not offer a simpler version of the Windows personal computer operating system, stripped of features like the Internet Explorer browser.

"It seems to me that if your side has access to it, then the other side, frankly, should have access to it," United States District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly told Microsoft's lawyers in a conference call with attorneys from both sides.

[...]

An appeals court in June agreed with a lower court that Microsoft had illegally maintained its monopoly in personal computer operating systems, but rejected splitting the company in two to prevent future violations.

Among the illegal tactics cited by the court was the "commingling" of the Windows source code with add-on programs.

Seems emminently reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Scott.
New If it >IS< "modular".............
then, if I wasn't using it, it wouldn't be loaded into memory, right?

I will use NetWare as an example. If I'm not using a certain function (say a specific network card driver) then that MODULE is NOT loaded into memory.

Now, can you say that the same is true of Windows and IE?

If I'm not browsing a directory or the Internet or the network or anything. Just playing minesweeper.

If it were modular, those chunks of code would NOT be loaded into memory.

If it is NOT modular, they ARE loaded.
New Re: If it >IS< "modular".............
then, if I wasn't using it, it wouldn't be loaded into memory, right?

I wouldn't say that modules by definition must reside in separate files, but for the sake of argument, I'll agree.

Now, can you say that the same is true of Windows and IE?

Yes.

If I'm not browsing a directory or the Internet or the network or anything. Just playing minesweeper.

... the none of IE's components are loaded... with a caveat. Windows' login program loads the designated shell when a user first logs in, and respawns it if it dies. The default shell is EXPLORER.EXE, which uses many of IE's components. But you can change it to something else, like CMD.EXE. I haven't tried this in Windows XP, but it worked just fine in Windows 2000.
New Definitions vs. designs.
True, they >COULD< be designed as modular BUT be REQUIRED to be loaded all the time.

In which case, we have MS building in un-needed dependencies.

If it is "modular" but it is required to be loaded all the time, what is the difference (to the end user) of that design over a monolithic design?

Now, MS's past "defense" has been that they're doing these things for the end user.

And remember that there aren't specific .dll's that can be removed that would remove just that functionality without removing other, required, functionality.

Which would be another reason to dis-believe the "modular" claims.

... the none of IE's components are loaded... with a caveat. Windows' login program loads the designated shell when a user first logs in, and respawns it if it dies. The default shell is EXPLORER.EXE, which uses many of IE's components.
But this is the core of the issue. Components that are NOT needed ARE loaded. And they cannot (by design) be removed without killing Windows.

Therefore, MS did illegally tie IE to Windows. Remember, this case was about Win9x. Not Win2K or WinXP.
New Re: Definitions vs. designs.
If it is "modular" but it is required to be loaded all the time, what is the difference (to the end user) of that design over a monolithic design?

Very few. I'd say that most of the advantages of modular design benefit programmers rather than the end user. Better maintainability for Microsoft, and a more compelling platform for ISVs.

Now, MS's past "defense" has been that they're doing these things for the end user.

One potential end user benefit is that modular systems are more easily reused, and deeper reuse leads to greater efficiency, which leads to a better overall user experience, at least in theory.

But this is the core of the issue. Components that are NOT needed ARE loaded.

But they are needed. The standard shell (EXPLORER.EXE) uses IE's HTML parsing and display engines to render many of its views.

Therefore, MS did illegally tie IE to Windows.

Whoa, could you go over that proof again?
New So, now we look at history.
I'd say that most of the advantages of modular design benefit programmers rather than the end user. Better maintainability for Microsoft, and a more compelling platform for ISVs.
Ahhh, but the benefit to programmers SHOULD be seen as a more stable product (yes/no), a more secure product (yes/no), and so on.

Yet Windows is well known for its instability and non-existant immune system (loveletter and so on).

So, if it were "modular", we >STILL< aren't seeing any of the benefits.

Check out the >SIZE< of the service packs MS has. Compare that to the patches for Linux (Debian in particular).

And before you ask, no, size by itself does NOT determine modularity. But when when the service pack is larger than the applications, you cannot argue "modularity".

One potential end user benefit is that modular systems are more easily reused, and deeper reuse leads to greater efficiency, which leads to a better overall user experience, at least in theory.
But in MS's history we haven't seen this. We've seen each release being MORE buggy than the release before it. Win98 was less stable than Win95c. If it were modular, the modules would have been stabilized over the 3 years between Win95 and Win98. Code re-use of stable modules would have the core system rock solid by then.

But that wasn't what happened.

But they are needed. The standard shell (EXPLORER.EXE) uses IE's HTML parsing and display engines to render many of its views.
No. That's "monolithic". If I'm not displaying HTML and don't have a background and I'm not browsing anything, then I shouldn't have anything that reads HTML loaded. But it is loaded.

Whoa, could you go over that proof again?
Simple. Since all your arguments as to why MS might design their system with modularity don't result in real-world improvements (Win98 was more buggy than Win95 at the time) then there must have been another reason for them doing so.

Which gets back to the internal emails about cutting off Netscape's air supply and making the use of any other browser a "jolting" experience.
     Judge order MS to hand over source code - (JayMehaffey) - (149)
         Re: Judge order MS to hand over source code - (Yendor)
         What a precedent! - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             If it's true, CKK certainly has guts - (tonytib)
         Holy mother of pearl! - (Silverlock)
         Interesting (?) vote percentages - (Ashton) - (1)
             I'm wondering about the size of the fine - (Silverlock)
         How to test it? - (Brandioch) - (4)
             General idea - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                 Obfuscation. - (static) - (2)
                     Re: Obfuscation (I guess you're against it...) - (jb4) - (1)
                         OT: I am getting *so* many comments about by my icon! :-) -NT - (static)
         Nuttiness - (Squidley) - (137)
             Semantics - (wharris2) - (136)
                 Re: Semantics - (Squidley) - (135)
                     But it's not modular. - (wharris2) - (122)
                         No? - (Squidley) - (121)
                             No. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                 I Respectfully Disagree - (Squidley) - (6)
                                     Your questions are answered in news stories. - (Another Scott)
                                     If it >IS< "modular"............. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                         Re: If it >IS< "modular"............. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                             Definitions vs. designs. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                 Re: Definitions vs. designs. - (Squidley) - (1)
                                                     So, now we look at history. - (Brandioch)
                             What? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Oops, You're Right! - (Squidley)
                             Modules that cannot be replaced or removed - (imric) - (76)
                                 Re: Modules that cannot be replaced or removed - (Squidley) - (75)
                                     No. - (imric) - (74)
                                         APIs & Modularity - (Squidley) - (73)
                                             Re: APIs & Modularity - (drewk) - (71)
                                                 Re: APIs & Modularity - (Squidley) - (69)
                                                     This is really funny. - (Andrew Grygus) - (23)
                                                         Re: This is really funny. - (Squidley) - (22)
                                                             MS should control PC configuration? - (warmachine) - (6)
                                                                 Re: MS should control PC configuration? - (Squidley) - (5)
                                                                     you are absolutely right - (boxley)
                                                                     I haven't met one that wouldn't. - (Brandioch)
                                                                     A natural monopoly would be leverage into a free market. - (warmachine)
                                                                     How the monopoly works. - (bepatient)
                                                                     Homogenity over all. - (imric)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (Steven A S) - (2)
                                                                 Have to have a command processor? - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                     On Win9X - (Steven A S)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Architectures - (Squidley)
                                                             Re: This is really funny. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                 Re: This is really funny. - (Squidley) - (8)
                                                                     And just exactly how long would it take . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                                         Thank you... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Besides which ... - (drewk)
                                                                         Re: And just exactly how long would it take . . - (Squidley)
                                                                         But would it work? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                             Kinda like coding around non-standard behaviour in IE? :) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                                                                 Oh shock non-standard IE behavior? (me quivers) - (wharris2)
                                                                     OK - (pwhysall)
                                                     You ARE Michel Le Moron! - (jb4) - (44)
                                                         Dont accuse - (boxley)
                                                         Naah, just went to the same . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (41)
                                                             Re: Naah, just went to the same . . . - (Squidley) - (40)
                                                                 Cosmic-proportion delusions of grandeur from a bad $hilling - (CRConrad) - (39)
                                                                     Nah. - (imric) - (38)
                                                                         No, I'm fairly sure he's serious; he's $hilling for real. - (CRConrad) - (37)
                                                                             Squidley-Diddley; - (imric) - (36)
                                                                                 Yeah, but if you're stupid enough, why let that stop you? - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                                                                     I can't believe you didn't catch this - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                                                                         Yeah, I know - but how the heck could I... - (CRConrad)
                                                                                         I used my usual spell checker . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                                                             Just tried your spell checker - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                                 Hmmm . . no such message from Google here . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                                     Those damn bats. They're everywhere. - (Silverlock)
                                                                                             So much for those right-wing "think tank" innaleckchuls, eh? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                                     I always have to laugh... - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                         Well if Squidley is not... - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                                                             Re: Well if Squidley is not... - (Squidley) - (14)
                                                                                                 And what makes you think you look any different here? -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                                                                                     Why, your presence, of course! - (Squidley) - (12)
                                                                                                         I guess MSFT is expecting to lose, then... -NT - (jake123) - (11)
                                                                                                             Sure! Just like they always do :-) -NT - (Squidley) - (10)
                                                                                                                 It ain't over til Judge K-K sings. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                                                                     Re: It ain't over til Judge K-K sings. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                                                                                                         My what colorful intellekchul epithets you have - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                         Yes, but over at Petrele's VarLinux forum . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, but over at Petrele(y)'s VarLinux forum . . - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                 I think they're going to lose badly this time. - (jake123) - (4)
                                                                                                                     I think you're way optimistic - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                                                                         I don't. - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                                                             Gates, Ballmer scared? - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 Yeah... you're right. - (jake123)
                                                                                     Hey! - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                         *Snort* - (Silverlock)
                                                                                         "Training ground"? Dunno... Let's hope it's more like... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                                                             I noticed (possibly coincidence...possibly not) - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                                                                 Really.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                                                     Karsten gave me the archives... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                                         True - the roster was larger (and heavier?) - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                                                             If you are nice - (imric) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Would have to be ftp... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Legal - (kmself) - (1)
                                                                                                                         Thats essentially my thinking. - (bepatient)
                                                         You ARE too kind! - (Squidley)
                                                 Intent - (Andrew Grygus)
                                             No. - (imric)
                             Are you for real?!? - (jb4) - (33)
                                 Hey, is that a trick question? - (Squidley) - (32)
                                     No tricks, just treats - (jb4) - (30)
                                         No, gems! - (Squidley) - (29)
                                             Bwaaahaaahhaaaa!! - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                 Re: Bwaaahaaahhaaaa!! - (Squidley)
                                             Are you REALLY that dense (or do they pay for stupidity?) - (jb4) - (4)
                                                 There you go again with the trick questions. - (Squidley) - (3)
                                                     NTFS != HTML - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Re: NTFS != HTML - (Squidley) - (1)
                                                             Don't bogart tht joint, my friend... - (jb4)
                                             Why did you drop the other threads? - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                 Need... some... WD-40... - (Squidley) - (5)
                                                     Ummm . . aren't you working overtime? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         I could shill 18/7..........if...........the price was right - (Brandioch)
                                                     A kinder, gentler, Microsoft at work... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         Be aware that this new policy . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             I have a remedy, then: - (Ashton)
                                             Wow... - (bepatient) - (14)
                                                 Now, now... - (Squidley) - (13)
                                                     I could almost grant such a Pollyanna view of it all.. - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                         As I have been saying for years . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                             Do you mean that *recently* the CRM folks spilled their guts - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                                 Siebel is the main victim here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                                     Speaking of Accounting software . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                         Scary.. 7 years to find all the important glitches - (Ashton)
                                                                     Andrew, care to update the current status? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                         Update - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                             And Thank God for that. -NT - (folkert)
                                                         Quick question: - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             'a' as in the Sinclair Lewis book, "Babbitt" Still: :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                     *chuckle* - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         Re: *chuckle* - (Squidley)
                                     I guess you didn't read the MS memos from the trial. - (Another Scott)
                     *sigh* Again? - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         Re: *sigh* Again? - (Squidley) - (8)
                             But they don't have to be non-working. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                 Re: But they don't have to be non-working. - (Squidley) - (6)
                                     Now that would be stupid. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                         Re: Now that would be stupid. - (Squidley) - (4)
                                             Pick one - (drewk)
                                             Purpose - (Steve Lowe)
                                             Bzzzzzt! - (Brandioch)
                                             And another thing ... - (drewk)
                     I believe the anti-trust trial showed IE wasn't modular - (warmachine) - (1)
                         +5 Informative. - (static)

This is immediately dreadful.
158 ms