If you're in KC, you might look at IBM. They just opened a DB2 call center there.

If you are working for Sprint in a DSL call center, then I would look for another job. There's been a lot of press the last few days that Sprint will be closing 3 call centers, and there was an article this AM on Yahoo that Sprint's debt may be "reviewed".

If you are working for SBC in St. Louis, well, at least they are a stable company. If you can tolerate the life in the call center, then, over time, you might be able to bid for an IT job through internal postings, in a year or so.

At night, you might want to do some research on the company you are working for, and try to figure our their financial strength and where they are as far as profits, losses, and such. If the company is stable, I should would try to stay with a stable company.

But, if the company is teetering on the brink of collapse, then there's really no point to subject yourself to this kind of abuse.

Like I said in the earlier post, there are a LOT of $9 an hour jobs out there. Heck, some local computer store, Best Buy, Staples, etc. might even pay $9 an hour.

Since you're in the $9 an hour range, you might look at government jobs ( local, county, city, school districts ). Many school districts have money from the federal government to wire the schools for Internet, but they have no qualified staff to do it. With a city/county/school district, you would get a low salary (but better than $9 an hour), and health insurance.

Some call centers don't even do that much for their employees.