IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rolling your own...
That's got a few connotations out here, not all of 'em legal....

In the Debian tradition, there's a bit of a difference from RedHat as far as package selection goes. There's also a pretty bloody complete set of packages (8000+ in unstable) so going outside the distro is fairly rare. When RPMs are available but not Debs, the alien package allows integration of the RPM into the packaging system. Debian's packaging system does a good job of documenting system state.

For kernels, the make-kpkg package provides support for including your roll-your-own kernels into the packaging system. I tend to compile my own kernels, but do so through make-kpkg. Debian also keeps the corresponding configuration file in /boot, making identification of kernel modules that much easier.

In general, I somewhat agree with Peter's PoV. It's possible to tweak the hell out of a box for extreme performance, cutting edge features, etc. But the admin costs of doing so will tend to exceed the hardware costs of an appropriate solution in all but the most extreme instances. Where there's truely no other eway, this may be an accceptable practice. In general, I feel much more comfortable sticking to methods and options supported within the standard configuration parameters for your system.

I had a coworker at a prior poisiton who'd come from a public web hosting site. Being used to configuring apache for servers that would run hundreds of hits per minute, he'd compiled his own apache under /usr/local/bin and created init scripts to bring up the server. This for a box that might encounter 300 hits in a day, on a articularly busy day.

Needless to say, after he left, the configs were something of a mystery, and after a power outage, the box failed to bring up the webserver appropriately, leaving some critical systems ofline. We'd have been far better off with a default Debian apache installation.

I do differ with Peter over his choice of distro, naturally ;-) I find that Debian's configurations are both more sane (and tested) than RH's, and that the packaging system is sufficiently complete that going outside of it is very rare.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Re: Rolling your own...(But keeping the Docs handy)
I very much see where every one is going here. I would hope that everyone here also sees the point I am trying to make here.

The point I make is, customization is typically NOT out of the ordinary, especially for HIGH LA machines, with tons of IO and Memory requierments. That, in fact is a norm throughout the Commercial *NIX Corporations, allowing the admins to indeed make a custom kernel for thier machine. Sure, on HP boxen, it's STILL an HP-UX kernel customized as it is (with patches from them for NEW device support via software packs on CD). On RS-6000 machine is still AIX (with APARs to support new devices). On Sparc it's still Solaris (at least for now ;) with Patches also for new devices support..

If any of you can't see my correlation between these, you and I are definately not in the same industry. Customization without documentation, is a bad thing. Customization WITH documentation is a GOOD thing.

I also tend to follow-up a "source" install of things like apache to conform to RedHat's and the LSB's way of doing things. I sym-link most everything RedHat expect to be some where to where it was actually place. Without modifying ANY logrotate configs, rc.d/init.d scripts, or things similar these machines come-up and go down JUST like a default install. The one thing I do, for most everything I do install from source rather than RPM (even though they be the same packages with same setup and such.. just to remove the "redhat" label in everything to appease some of my management) it do the "--justdb" feature of RPM. That allows me to have a dependency for Apache and all of redhat's "module packages" so when someone (being me or someone after me) tried to install an RPM that updates those dependancies it complains or at least alerts them to problems.

I really must say that I am doing a great job for the person who replaces me. I have documentation, I use TSM (or ADSM as all the docs still say) for backups and I use quality hardware with burn-in testing... I wish I had it so well when I came into this position. Person before me, never really documented much of anything except passwords... sometimes.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Yes, it is normal.
When installing SCO Unix I relink the kernel three or four times for drivers and once or twice for tuning. The only real difference is that the code is pre-compiled (since the environment can be completely known), so only the link step is taken.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     What does this mean? - (SpiceWare) - (14)
         Use YaST2 - (admin) - (3)
             What's series 'ap'? - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                 Re: What's series 'ap'? - (admin) - (1)
                     Arrrrrgh! - (SpiceWare)
         Well... (asking for an honest opinion) - (folkert) - (9)
             Oh, I do a little of that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Why rolling your own is sometimes a bad idea - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Low risk with Caldera - (Andrew Grygus)
             I was into that once - (SpiceWare)
             No disrespect... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 None Taken (long again) - (folkert)
             Rolling your own... - (kmself) - (2)
                 Re: Rolling your own...(But keeping the Docs handy) - (folkert) - (1)
                     Yes, it is normal. - (Andrew Grygus)

*SHUN*
48 ms