IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why rolling your own is sometimes a bad idea
The kernel packages that the likes of Red Hat and SuSE provide have a degree of QA and testing that you can't provide.

You have some assurance that a particular vendor release of a kernel won't have horrendous bugs in it. Frexample, you'll never see a 2.4.11 kernel from Red Hat - but if you were quick off the mark, you could have downloaded and installed that before Linus got a chance to tag it "2.4.11-DONTUSE".

I basically take the attitude that rolling your own kernel is only a valid exercise if the vendor-provided one doesn't do what I want.

The performance advantage these days is negligible as most drivers are now provided as modules anyway.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Low risk with Caldera
Unlike Red Hat (or practically any other distribution), Caldera certifies that the source code shipped with the distribution is the source code used to build the kernel that was shipped with the distribution.

This quality issue is a primary reason why Caldera stopped distributing Red Hat and started producing their own distribution, and is one of their primary "value adds".

Further, I do not incorporate into the kernel any code from outside the Caldera distribution unless absolutely necessary for some special purpose. I'm not a hobbyist, you know.

On the other hand, I don't see why the kernel should carry SMP on a single processor system, or have hooks for a zillion modules and capabilities that will never be used. Rebuilding the kernel is very easy, so why not clean it up?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     What does this mean? - (SpiceWare) - (14)
         Use YaST2 - (admin) - (3)
             What's series 'ap'? - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                 Re: What's series 'ap'? - (admin) - (1)
                     Arrrrrgh! - (SpiceWare)
         Well... (asking for an honest opinion) - (folkert) - (9)
             Oh, I do a little of that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Why rolling your own is sometimes a bad idea - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Low risk with Caldera - (Andrew Grygus)
             I was into that once - (SpiceWare)
             No disrespect... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 None Taken (long again) - (folkert)
             Rolling your own... - (kmself) - (2)
                 Re: Rolling your own...(But keeping the Docs handy) - (folkert) - (1)
                     Yes, it is normal. - (Andrew Grygus)

Diane's as fat can be... aye, Captain aye!
49 ms