IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't worry - It's electric
[link|http://store.barbecue-smoker-grill.com/goelsmandgrr.html|http://store.barbecu...goelsmandgrr.html]

I just went out and bought a brisket.
Chopped up an onion, put it in a bowl with lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and lot of olive oil and assoted meat spices.

Rubbed it all over, wrapped it in saran wrap, put it in the fridge.

Tomorrow I'll rub more spices and smoke it for 6 hours (or so).

Mmmmm
New Yabut, its job is to burn wood
very slowly to produce flavored gas through partial combustion of wood. What do you suppose a major constituent of that smoke is?

Look, here's the [link|http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9vxr11bzZtcJ:www.masterbuilt.com/pdf/manuals/old%2520site/gmes.pdf+electric+smoker+carbon+monoxide&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10|manual] for a comparable product - it starts with dire warnings about CO dangers.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
New Don't worry, be happy
This "smoker" is almost more of a steamer.

The bottom is filled with lava rocks, with the heating element snaking around.

You use about a double handful of wood chips. You soak them in water. You place them on the lava rocks, a few on the element to get a quick burst of smoke.

There is a huge bowl of water hanging under the bottom grill.

You place your meat on either grills.

You plug it in.

As the element warms up, and wood resting on it flares up. It heats the rocks and the water. The rocks heat the remaining wet wood. The wood evaporates off the water, and then slowly burns. I meant slowly. 90% of the wood is unburned when done.

The smoke mixes with the steams and swirls around. Sure, it all leaks out in the end, but it does not have a continuous stream of burning wood and smoke that a real smoker would. A small amount is concentrated in the smoker for an extended period.

I only started off with a double handful of wood, and I'm only combusting around 10%.

And yes, my garage is VERY drafty.

I'm safe.
New Did the brisket last night
After 6 hours in the smoker it was getting a bit dry. The top layers of chopped onions was nicely crisped, and most of the fat had melted away.

I took it inside, wrapped it in tin foil. I had the water pan that was filled with drippings and some water, so I poured it right in.

250 degree oven for another 1.5 hours.

Took it out, was a bit tough. Oh well.

Then I had it for breakfast today. It had softened up nicely. And tasted much better as well. I was worried that the wine vinegar would overpower it, but it adds the perfect edge to the flavor.

I took the drippings, removed the fat, put a bit of salt and pepper, and boiled it down until it was about 1/3. The perfect sauce.

I figure I'll get about 8 meals total based the amount I eat per sitting, which means a 5 lb brisket which cost me $25 will feed me at $3.125 per meal.

I'm loving this thing.
New make some jerky next time
slice the brisket paper thin along the grain. Sea Salt Pepper garlic powder. Yum
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
     Andrew, be glad you dont live in NYC - (bionerd) - (36)
         We have all the same rules here - and much more . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         say a "crock" sentence - (boxley) - (1)
             If everyone followed that rule . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Our food laws are a drag - (tuberculosis) - (32)
             Personally, I'm planning on goose this year. - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
                 standing rib roast for xmas - (boxley) - (29)
                     Yum - (crazy) - (28)
                         And now I have one - (crazy) - (9)
                             I love it! - (crazy) - (6)
                                 In the garage? - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                     Don't worry - It's electric - (crazy) - (4)
                                         Yabut, its job is to burn wood - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Don't worry, be happy - (crazy)
                                         Did the brisket last night - (crazy) - (1)
                                             make some jerky next time - (boxley)
                             Linky no workee -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Linkee fixee -NT - (crazy)
                         this way is better - (boxley) - (17)
                             Does it taste salty when you're done? - (drewk) - (16)
                                 I love the hammer instruction -NT - (crazy) - (4)
                                     I've seen it done for fish (Iron Chef) - (drewk)
                                     I've got a recipe for southwest goat leg in clay - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         find out where the mexicans shop, the local carniceria - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Actually, there's a mexican grocery in Poulsbo - (tuberculosis)
                                 not at all, if you have ever had a real prime rib - (boxley) - (9)
                                     Can't find it? - (drewk) - (8)
                                         It's probably the aging - (tonytib)
                                         nope to all, pay attention - (boxley) - (6)
                                             Well, I be making it next weekend - (crazy)
                                             Don't blame me - (drewk) - (4)
                                                 I've been wandering recipe sites - (crazy) - (2)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                                                     SIE... Sights??? - (CRConrad)
                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                                 I saw Jamie Oliver do something like to a chook. - (static)
                 2nd year for a Turducken here - (lincoln)

Splor.
80 ms