IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New say a "crock" sentence
your local walmart super center sells fish farmed in china, shrimp farmed in thailand and vietnam. Which US agency certifies these farms? Your guessed it. Walmart can do it because they are big, a small shop owner in NYC gets fined. Unless it sez wild caught in US or Canada I wouldnt eat it.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New If everyone followed that rule . . .
. . nobody would be eating fish - they'd be extinct or near extinction and priced so high they'd all be shipped to Japan (where high price is considered the greatest flavor enhancement).

U.S. rainbow trout production in 2002 was over 27,000 tons (and the U.S. is not the largest producer). Salmon production was over 14,000 tons and catfish production was over 315,000 tons. There is no chance in hell this volume could be produced by "wild catch".

Fish farming definitely presents environmental and health problems, but those problems need to be worked out. A lot of progress is being made.

As for Southeast Asian fish (farmed and wild caught), producers are increasingly US FDA [link|http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/haccp.html|HACCP compliant] (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point), particularly in Vietnam.

It is not difficult for small markets to obtain properly certified products from wholesalers.

A couple of years ago U.S. catfish farmers, concerned by imports of Vietnamese catfish (basa and tra), sent an expedition to gather information about the Vietnamese catfish industry, hoping to use it in marketing.

One representative stated, "We went to Vietnam expecting to find fish grown in poluted water and processed in primitive facilities. That is not what we found and we're scared to death."

Incidentally, Vietnamese catfish is not like American channel cat. It's from a genus called "shark catfish" due to their shape. Fillets are thinner and broader and the flavor is less assertively "catfishy". Very good fish, all in all.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 3, 2006, 01:51:34 PM EST
     Andrew, be glad you dont live in NYC - (bionerd) - (36)
         We have all the same rules here - and much more . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         say a "crock" sentence - (boxley) - (1)
             If everyone followed that rule . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Our food laws are a drag - (tuberculosis) - (32)
             Personally, I'm planning on goose this year. - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
                 standing rib roast for xmas - (boxley) - (29)
                     Yum - (crazy) - (28)
                         And now I have one - (crazy) - (9)
                             I love it! - (crazy) - (6)
                                 In the garage? - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                     Don't worry - It's electric - (crazy) - (4)
                                         Yabut, its job is to burn wood - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Don't worry, be happy - (crazy)
                                         Did the brisket last night - (crazy) - (1)
                                             make some jerky next time - (boxley)
                             Linky no workee -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Linkee fixee -NT - (crazy)
                         this way is better - (boxley) - (17)
                             Does it taste salty when you're done? - (drewk) - (16)
                                 I love the hammer instruction -NT - (crazy) - (4)
                                     I've seen it done for fish (Iron Chef) - (drewk)
                                     I've got a recipe for southwest goat leg in clay - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         find out where the mexicans shop, the local carniceria - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Actually, there's a mexican grocery in Poulsbo - (tuberculosis)
                                 not at all, if you have ever had a real prime rib - (boxley) - (9)
                                     Can't find it? - (drewk) - (8)
                                         It's probably the aging - (tonytib)
                                         nope to all, pay attention - (boxley) - (6)
                                             Well, I be making it next weekend - (crazy)
                                             Don't blame me - (drewk) - (4)
                                                 I've been wandering recipe sites - (crazy) - (2)
                                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                                                     SIE... Sights??? - (CRConrad)
                                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (imqwerky)
                                 I saw Jamie Oliver do something like to a chook. - (static)
                 2nd year for a Turducken here - (lincoln)

Lather, rinse, repeat.
62 ms