IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Inland North
I agree that there aren't enough questions to properly make distinctions. I spent most of my time before I was 18 in the Atlanta suburbs in Georgia, and Ohio. I fought the southern accent, so I tend to sound strange to most people. "Where are you from?" "I moved around a lot..."

And everyone should know that a generic carbonated beverage is properly called a "Coke".

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Amen, Brutha!
And everyone should know that a generic carbonated beverage is properly called a "Coke".

One of the hardest things to deal with when I moved from Kentucky to Northeast Pennsylvania was that they called coke "soda". I would laugh because a soda is one of those things you drink with a straw from a tall glass full of seltzer water, flavoring and a cherry on top.

The yankees also didn't know what a sack was. We were at the grocery store and asked for a sack. "A What? Oh! You mean a bag!"

Ah, the memories! :-)
Smile,
Amy
New On a world-wide version, it would have trouble with me.
Even though I've lived all my life in Sydney's southern suburbs, I've had many people over the years wonder where my accent is from. But I'm Australian!

What I think has happened is that the same things that originally engendered the early versions of the English 'Received Pronunciation' at the likes of Oxford happened to me: namely, the influence of reading a lot. As a child, I was a voracious reader. When I moved out of home a few years ago, even my mother did not fail to be surprised at just how many books I own. And I've read almost all of them.

This was borne out a few years ago when I heard a black American preacher who had spent a lot of time in university. His accent was very unusual: to a lot of people it sounded a little British, but not quite, yet we knew he was from the US and could here a lot of New York in there, too. It took a friend of mine who is even more accent-aware than I am to point out that it's because he has so much education. It was an educated accent.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
     another silly online quiz - (rcareaga) - (31)
         Dead On - (jbrabeck)
         The Northeast (I'm British) -NT - (warmachine)
         its a crock - (boxley)
         Re: another silly online quiz - (Yendor) - (1)
             ROFL - got the same - (imric)
         Northeast. - (a6l6e6x)
         Nowhere enough questions (or the right kind) to judge. - (Andrew Grygus)
         north central - (Steve Lowe)
         Northeast - (tuberculosis)
         Pretty accurate for me. - (Silverlock) - (8)
             US Radio accent. - (static) - (7)
                 It's the Johnny Carson accent. - (Silverlock)
                 Re: US Radio accent. - (Ashton) - (5)
                     Radio voice and radio accent are different. - (static)
                     Its projection and diction. - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Dubbayou irks me to no end. - (admin)
                         Enunciation, too, as you said. - (static) - (1)
                             Yep. Singing helps with the word stuffs. - (Silverlock)
         Philly - (crazy)
         Wow, I'm the one IN Philly - (bepatient)
         My Australian accent comes out as "The Northeast" -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
             Ditto likewise. -NT - (static)
         Midland - (imqwerky)
         Pegged me for Philly - (drewk)
         Inland North - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Amen, Brutha! - (imqwerky)
             On a world-wide version, it would have trouble with me. - (static)
         The West, eh? And since we're on the topic of quizzes... - (lister) - (2)
             as an occational visitor 58% where do you get pizza? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Pizza Pizza according to the quiz - (lister)
         Inland North - (admin)

Dr. Peter prescribes a nice warm cup of shut the hell up.
174 ms