IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, not TV dinners
Precooked meat that have the possibility of being eaten without reheating, ie: lunch meats, hot dogs, sausages, etc.
New Riddle me this, Batman.
Or anyone. :-)

If hotdogs and lunch meats and so forth have already been cooked, why do they turn color and release water and fats and so forth if I cook them?

My suspicion is that they're not already pre-cooked, but rather they have enough spices, etc., in them so that they don't go bad under normal storage conditions. True?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New False
Cooking does not remove all fat and moisture. It simply raises the temp up to the point it is supposed to kill the pathogens in the meat. Anything past that is for flavor or texture modification, ie: browning or crisping.

But the fat and moisture should be left behind, or it'll taste / feel like crap.
New See my reply to Greg below.
New Okay, Robin.
I challenge you to cook some Ground Sirloin, in fact, over cook it. The drain and dry it as much as possible right after your cook it.

Put it in the fridge well covered (TupperWare ind of thing) for two days. Then boil it. Lets us see how much stuff comes out.

The reason stuff turns color is oxidation of the meat. The other stuff coming out it a fact of packaging right after cooking. Some stuff is cooked again after packageing to allow for room temperature storage.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Thanks, Batman.
I guess I wasn't too clear.

I understand that when meat is cooked, the proteins lose water and get tough and stringy, and the fats liquify. You sort-of made my point for me in the sirloin example - if a good hot dog is already cooked when I take it out of the package, why does it swell up, split, get greasy, etc., etc., when I cook it in the microwave? Hamburger doesn't do that after it's been cooked.

<Googliegoo>

[link|http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Hot-Dog.html|How Hot Dogs Are Made].

The typical raw hot dog is a pink, cylindrical-shaped piece of meat. It is about 1.6 oz (45.36 g) on average and contains anywhere from 0.175-0.245 oz (5-7 g) of protein. It also contains about 0.455 oz (13 g) of fat, 450 mg of sodium and 150 calories. Since hot dogs are meat products, they are an excellent source of nutrients including iron, zinc, niacin, riboflavin, and B vitamins. When hot dogs are made using pork meat, they are good source of thiamin. Since they are a pre-cooked food, they are less prone to spoilage than other types of meat products. This makes them one of the safest meat products available.

[...]

Cooking

* 3 The linked hot dog strands are then conveyed to a large smokehouse. Here, they are thoroughly cooked under controlled conditions. The manufacturer has the opportunity at this point to impart a different flavor on the hot dogs by using a variety of smoke sources. The cooking times vary depending on the recipe however, typically it takes about an hour.

[...]

Since [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(food)|smoking] can be a low temperature process (if it takes an hour, that would argue for low temperatures too), perhaps that's another reason why they seem to change so much when I cook them (at higher temperatures).

So, I dunno. Either they use lower temperatures than I do (which is certainly possible - e.g. it's possible to brown hot dogs in a skillet without having them do much more than get slightly brown and greasy), or perhaps the "casings" are so tough that the meat can't expand and give up the fat and so forth when it's smoked/cooked.

I dunno.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New *way* OT but ICLRPD. (new thread)
Created as new thread #266212 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=266212|*way* OT but ICLRPD.]
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
     FDA has approved spraying viruses on food. - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         Maybe I'm missing something - (drewk) - (10)
             Perhaps not - but also remember . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                 And the food can be contaminated after cooking in the plant - (bionerd) - (8)
                     That was what I was asking - (drewk) - (7)
                         No, not TV dinners - (broomberg) - (6)
                             Riddle me this, Batman. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 False - (broomberg) - (1)
                                     See my reply to Greg below. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 Okay, Robin. - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Thanks, Batman. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         *way* OT but ICLRPD. (new thread) - (static)

Coffee, tea, or me?
87 ms