IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tinkerbell technology, eh?
No, it won't work. As our society gets more complex, and the bits accessible to everyone [or mostly everyone] get more powerful, the need for trust amongst the members increases. Unfortunately it also reduces the amount of work or other input required, and people get lazy.

The real trouble comes in with, ah, metathoughts, if you will [ok, stupid concept; best I can do]

That is: Ordinary [!] carelessness, inattention, ignorance, etc. etc. is less a problem than deliberate violations of the trust relationship. The "system" has grown up with continuous negligence in the background, and has ways of handling the problems, mostly social -- although certainly there is a real necessity for keeping the equipment and knowledge around for cleaning up the spills and routing around the resulting holes. I don't know any way we could do it without the ever-popular --

Back to the cave! Man Was Not Meant To [X]. This, once the shibboleth of the ignorant Religious Fundamentalist, has now become the axiom [that which cannot be proved, but is true anyway] of people who are contemptuous of the ones who originated the notion. But we changed the name! they cry.

When you have people who want to question the whole basis, and are willing to break things and/or hurt people to support their beliefs: what do you do? What is the right way to handle people whose ethic is that the lovely thing about the interlocking web of trust relationships is that you can do so much damage by betraying the trust?

Back in the Sixties my grandmother asked me a question I couldn't answer right away. She was watching the space launches, and was genuinely and sincerely worried. Were those people breaking God's law by traveling in outer space?

It took some thought, but finally I told her that God's Creation involved, among other things, gravity, and that NASA had literally teams of people whose job it was to insure that no attempt was ever made to violate God's Law of Gravity in the slightest way. --It satisfied her enormously. After that, she thought the space program was great.

Frequently the problem is simple ignorance. I could probably be persuaded to start shooting people who promote ignorance as a desirable state, and there are lots of them about.
Regards,
Ric
New As to the last -
now you're back to the One capital crime in my Benevolent Dictatorship - language murder.

Due process and all.. but if it's the jury's decision that premeditated distortion of language was involved, with malice aforethought and towards the aim of so misusing a word as to evoke in others, the opposite of its meaning - guilty. Ex. that comes to mind:

In M$ Mission Statement resides a paragraph on Integrity. It states in some detail, the opposite principles from those followed so religiously by this group of terrorists.

Skip the trial.

Tough job for a jury - but someone's gotta do it.

Ashton Damocles

PS - as Dictator, I too am be covered by this principle - encourages me to remain infallible (in all matters involving faith & morals). Piece o' cake..
     NoCal/Napa update (Tilly visit & general gathering) - (kmself) - (31)
         Nahh.. willing to retract - (Ashton) - (1)
             Get yer snout in the door - (boxley)
         More details - (ben_tilly)
         Sigh more long term - (wharris2)
         Bloody hell. - (pwhysall) - (23)
             Send me your address, I'll mail airline ticket - (kmself)
             Ahh... - (static) - (21)
                 It'd be a hell of a long ride . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Well, yeah. - (static)
                 That would be a Tunnel Indeed! - (wharris2) - (3)
                     Which would that be? - (static) - (2)
                         Mackinac bridge - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Ah. Long and High. - (static)
                 'Member the Gravity Trains? - (Ashton) - (14)
                     Problem is, IIRC, you'd be way down in the (molten!) mantle. -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
                         Maybe not that far down. - (Ashton) - (11)
                             Matter-Antimatter Tunnel Borers - (Ric Locke) - (5)
                                 If it's remotely doable, just maybe it could keep the - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     That argument goes nowhere. - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                         If we will just believe in it strongly enough - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Tinkerbell technology, eh? - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                 As to the last - - (Ashton)
                             Going from memory - (drewk) - (4)
                                 Sounds plausible - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                     Sshhh you fool! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         No premature warranties here - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                             *grin* - (imric)
                     Hmm. Interesting idea. - (static)
         You have mail - (tonytib) - (2)
             I think you sent it to the old dead hotmail one - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 No, I sent mail to Karsten - (tonytib)

We're on a mission from GRR.
61 ms