IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Problem is, IIRC, you'd be way down in the (molten!) mantle.
New Maybe not that far down.
Not so sure.. given evacuated tunnel (a prodigious task in itself) 500 mph ain't so huge a drop at 1-G, before you level out: well, a small continuing slope to overcome friction, remaining air-pressure etc.) No wheel friction - mag-lev? or remaining-air cushion?

v=at; 500 mph= 733'/sec; a=G= 32.2 '/sec\ufffd :: t= 22.8 sec.
s=\ufffdat\ufffd; distance in vacuum= ~8420'= 1.6 miles

I (hope I) would have dismissed the idea - had he omitted consideration of that obvious a factor. Still, hot it would be - dunno temp at 1.6 miles (!?) Titanium like the SST I suppose(d) + insulation of the cars. No doubt a third access tunnel like the Chunnel - for when the Mickeysoftware stopped it under the Atlantic or the cryo-stirrer had the wrong motor.. Then you hop on your Vincent down the center tunnel for a really long day's ride :-\ufffd

A.
New Matter-Antimatter Tunnel Borers
will have to be made of unobtanium anyway, and that'll be an excellent substance to line the tunnels with :-)

The ultimate version would then be: a Straight Line from, e.g. New York to London. Hm, no ref. materials handy; what would the depth at midpoint be? The angle at the endpoints?

Another hmmm -- could be a bit difficult to allow for things like slippage of crustal joints, etc. etc. in the rock at shallow depths. The relatively plastic magma might actually be a safer surround, given that ::languid handwaving:: the heat and pressure can be withstood by the ::slightly less languid handwaving:: beta-unobtainium hydroxysilicate tunnel wall material.
Regards,
Ric
[who is not volunteering as tunnel inspector, nice ride as perk or no]
New If it's remotely doable, just maybe it could keep the
Govts. (or Corps that replace those) - busy digging instead of.. the next generation of nasty weapons (and race to get those, du jour). We have to keep our little hands busy, as an immature species.

[link|http://www.solarviews.com/eng/earthint.htm#int|Earth dissection]

The continental lithosphere is about 150 kilometers (93 miles) thick with a low-density crust and upper-mantle that are permanently buoyant.

It's gotta be a lot more fun than burger-flipping or vbscripting - no?

Ashton
Just lookin for ways to keep the kiddies busy
New That argument goes nowhere.
I and others have been offering that, or something very akin, as a justification for space research for many years.

No good. Thou shalt not pollute the virgin Mohorovic Discontinuity, thou anti-Gaia Corporate Troll.

Ah well. It ain't that simpleSM
Regards,
Ric
New If we will just believe in it strongly enough -
yeah: it still prolly won't work.

But we drastically need something to occupy turgid little minds - nay fascinate them.. lest they seize upon the wondrous new diabolically destructive crap - we tend to build just because - we can. And because usually, there might be a buck in it.. by the second quarter; before the fourth quarter costs a gigabuck to start cleaning up.

(Ex. needed?) - the &^#$%^# Africanized honey bee.. arriving soon in your bailiwick. Betcha damn few besides genuine farmers understand remotely, how indispensable are our 'semi-tame' honeybees (?) Just a few curious researchers there - gonna help ol Gaia: she be so dumb and all.

Yeah I know - silly me to forget Bertie Russell for a moment:

Since the beginning man has never refrained from any folly of which he is capable

How do ya get outta this chickenshit outfit?
New Tinkerbell technology, eh?
No, it won't work. As our society gets more complex, and the bits accessible to everyone [or mostly everyone] get more powerful, the need for trust amongst the members increases. Unfortunately it also reduces the amount of work or other input required, and people get lazy.

The real trouble comes in with, ah, metathoughts, if you will [ok, stupid concept; best I can do]

That is: Ordinary [!] carelessness, inattention, ignorance, etc. etc. is less a problem than deliberate violations of the trust relationship. The "system" has grown up with continuous negligence in the background, and has ways of handling the problems, mostly social -- although certainly there is a real necessity for keeping the equipment and knowledge around for cleaning up the spills and routing around the resulting holes. I don't know any way we could do it without the ever-popular --

Back to the cave! Man Was Not Meant To [X]. This, once the shibboleth of the ignorant Religious Fundamentalist, has now become the axiom [that which cannot be proved, but is true anyway] of people who are contemptuous of the ones who originated the notion. But we changed the name! they cry.

When you have people who want to question the whole basis, and are willing to break things and/or hurt people to support their beliefs: what do you do? What is the right way to handle people whose ethic is that the lovely thing about the interlocking web of trust relationships is that you can do so much damage by betraying the trust?

Back in the Sixties my grandmother asked me a question I couldn't answer right away. She was watching the space launches, and was genuinely and sincerely worried. Were those people breaking God's law by traveling in outer space?

It took some thought, but finally I told her that God's Creation involved, among other things, gravity, and that NASA had literally teams of people whose job it was to insure that no attempt was ever made to violate God's Law of Gravity in the slightest way. --It satisfied her enormously. After that, she thought the space program was great.

Frequently the problem is simple ignorance. I could probably be persuaded to start shooting people who promote ignorance as a desirable state, and there are lots of them about.
Regards,
Ric
New As to the last -
now you're back to the One capital crime in my Benevolent Dictatorship - language murder.

Due process and all.. but if it's the jury's decision that premeditated distortion of language was involved, with malice aforethought and towards the aim of so misusing a word as to evoke in others, the opposite of its meaning - guilty. Ex. that comes to mind:

In M$ Mission Statement resides a paragraph on Integrity. It states in some detail, the opposite principles from those followed so religiously by this group of terrorists.

Skip the trial.

Tough job for a jury - but someone's gotta do it.

Ashton Damocles

PS - as Dictator, I too am be covered by this principle - encourages me to remain infallible (in all matters involving faith & morals). Piece o' cake..
New Going from memory
If you do straight lines from any point on the surface to any other point -- assuming equal distance from the global center -- and drop something in with no friction, the actual transit time will be the same for all tunnels. Shorter tunnels will have slower accelleration/decelleration. Longer ones (closer to the core) will have more extreme ones. But the actual transit time for all of them comes out the same.

In short, you'd need to add enough energy to the system to overcome the friction, and to make any trip between near neighbors take less time than it already does. (And no one wants to hear about any new transporation that takes longer than current methods.) Any trips that are long enough that gravity train trip times were comparable to air travel would be down past the crust.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Sounds plausible
I know how to do that math, or used to. It makes my head hurt to consider it now, so I believe I shall leave it alone forthwith :-)

Anyway the attraction really isn't trip time; it's energy cost. This is one of those high-capital, low-operating-cost things. Once the tunnel is in place, drop something in New York, pick it up in London.

And don't worry about the crust. Ashton and I are developing the matter-antimatter tunnel boring machines and the beta-unobtanium silicide tunnel liner; it'll be safe as houses. Trust us :0
Regards,
Ric
New Sshhh you fool!
My appointment with the Vice Resident is compromised, and that Enron check already bounced. They're all hunkered down for the duration of OSAS (One Standard Attention Span).

I have half the design work completed already! Have all the matter I need - the rest may take a little longer.

Whatsa Matter Ltd.

Uh.. watch those premature warranties, OK?
We'll make it as safe as humanly possible.
New No premature warranties here
there are houses and houses, you know.

ObSF: --And He Built a Crooked House, by Robert A. Heinlein; late forties or thereabouts.
Regards,
Ric
V.P. of Product and Passenger Security
A&R Pseudoengineering, LLC
Process is our most important product
New *grin*
I love [link|http://www.uky.edu/~engjlg/hon202/house4d.htm|that story]...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
     NoCal/Napa update (Tilly visit & general gathering) - (kmself) - (31)
         Nahh.. willing to retract - (Ashton) - (1)
             Get yer snout in the door - (boxley)
         More details - (ben_tilly)
         Sigh more long term - (wharris2)
         Bloody hell. - (pwhysall) - (23)
             Send me your address, I'll mail airline ticket - (kmself)
             Ahh... - (static) - (21)
                 It'd be a hell of a long ride . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Well, yeah. - (static)
                 That would be a Tunnel Indeed! - (wharris2) - (3)
                     Which would that be? - (static) - (2)
                         Mackinac bridge - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Ah. Long and High. - (static)
                 'Member the Gravity Trains? - (Ashton) - (14)
                     Problem is, IIRC, you'd be way down in the (molten!) mantle. -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
                         Maybe not that far down. - (Ashton) - (11)
                             Matter-Antimatter Tunnel Borers - (Ric Locke) - (5)
                                 If it's remotely doable, just maybe it could keep the - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     That argument goes nowhere. - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                         If we will just believe in it strongly enough - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             Tinkerbell technology, eh? - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                 As to the last - - (Ashton)
                             Going from memory - (drewk) - (4)
                                 Sounds plausible - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                     Sshhh you fool! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         No premature warranties here - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                             *grin* - (imric)
                     Hmm. Interesting idea. - (static)
         You have mail - (tonytib) - (2)
             I think you sent it to the old dead hotmail one - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 No, I sent mail to Karsten - (tonytib)

Where's web cam sex show Barbie?
69 ms