IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's nice
Let's compare that to twelve hour days for cents an hour, no sick days, no parental leave, fired for not filling quotas, monster industrial maiming with no compensation due to the horribly dangerous conditions, child labour, etc.

In the overall scheme of things, having the shareholders of a few industrial dinosaurs take a rough ride because of their incompetent management's inability to negotiate or to be willing to take the short term losses to get the contract to ensure the long term survivability of the firm doesn't strike me as a terrible price to pay.

Of course union contracts try to preserve the status quo for the long term empoloyees; just as shareholders demand a steady stream of profit, so do workers. It's their job, fer chrissakes, just as it's the job of management to say no when necessary, and be willing to show the union why they have to say no.

Once again, afaic, history trumps ideology; go read [link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ss_hs/102-7962868-6440160?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywords=The+Jungle&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go|The Jungle] to get a handle on how bad things were before unions. I don't care what the little system says how it's supposed to work; I'm more interested in seeing what worked before: you know, the scientific method.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New I seem to have struck a nerve.
Sorry about that.

I'm not arguing against the existence unions. You've made your view plainly apparent. I guess I need to do better in making mine, but not tonight.

If you haven't yet, and have the time, Halberstam's [link|http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/03/15/home/halberstam-reckoning.html?_r=1&oref=slogin|The Reckoning] is a very good read. It's about the post-war auto industry in the US and Japan, with an emphasis on Ford and Nissan. It's just as relevant today, though it came out 20 years ago. Some parts of his thesis don't hold up, but on the whole it's a powerful telling of the rise and fall of the auto industry in the US in the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Cheers,
Scott.
     helmets, seat belts and french fries private property rights - (boxley) - (47)
         The statement 'There is no middle ground' is . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         I love Joey Vento - (bepatient) - (8)
             Everyone? - (broomberg) - (7)
                 Sure...and me too. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     How much weight have you lost since the heart attack? -NT - (broomberg) - (2)
                         -25 +5 - (bepatient) - (1)
                             Interesting target - (broomberg)
                     How much weight have you lost since the heart attack? -NT - (broomberg)
                     I agree as well. - (hnick)
                     Actually, I agree, too. - (jb4)
         Wonder if he is consistant - (JayMehaffey)
         Trouble with libertarianism - (andread) - (35)
             They'd love to - (drewk)
             A Libertarian would prefer to pay for the services himself - (admin) - (12)
                 Toll roads - (drewk) - (7)
                     So I'm going to pay a toll to drive to the grocery store? - (admin) - (6)
                         That first paragraph I was playing devil's advocate - (drewk)
                         'Easypass' for everything. At every intersection - (imric) - (4)
                             Screw you - (drewk) - (3)
                                 Go get a glass of warm milk, cookies, and take a nap. ;-j -NT - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                     Can I make it a donut instead? - (drewk) - (1)
                                         Lullaby.... z z z z z ........... -NT - (jbrabeck)
                 Services - (andread) - (3)
                     True, but ... - (drewk) - (2)
                         Yes, it is coercive - (ben_tilly)
                         I don't see how they can stop you -NT - (andread)
             They aren't that over the edge - (bepatient) - (20)
                 What the H... is an Objectivist now? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     What's a "H..."? -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Ayn Rand...who is John Gault...you know them. -NT - (bepatient)
                 over the edge - (andread) - (16)
                     unions? - (bepatient) - (15)
                         Social Security && National Parks.....&& more... - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                             you mean... - (andread) - (5)
                                 Could you add some punctuation? - (drewk) - (4)
                                     ,:;.? -NT - (andread) - (1)
                                         ~!@#$%^&*() -NT - (drewk)
                                     It's a Reggae Haiku. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Regulate! -NT - (drewk)
                         like I said 'no unions' -NT - (andread) - (7)
                             you think the gov't is necessary - (bepatient) - (6)
                                 Depends on the government... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     I don't have a shades of grey view of unions - (jake123) - (3)
                                         They did many good things. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             That's nice - (jake123) - (1)
                                                 I seem to have struck a nerve. - (Another Scott)
                                 Yet without them - (imric)

Did it involve geese?
106 ms