IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think you misread Brandioch.
Hi Ric and All,

It seems to me that Brandioch's position is that the detainees must be treated as POWs until they're found (by methods outlined in the GC) to be something else. He thinks that it's vital that the GC and other existing laws be respected. He's not arguing that terrorists should be released.

We can argue about the speed of notification of the relevant authorities about names, etc.

I think the US position is that the people being held in Guantanamo are not merely Taliban footsoldiers or other covered POWs. If that's all they were, they'd likely still be in Afghanistan. The US believes the people they're holding at Guantanamo are either involved with terrorism, or are knowledgable about Al Qaeda, etc., (as I understand it). They aren't soldiers for Afghanistan. As such, the US believes they can't be afforded all of the POW benefits. The US wants to hold these people in a secure area and intensively investigate who they are and what they know, decide how and where they should be tried or released, etc.

I think these apparently conflicting opinions on POW status can and will be reconciled. And by ways other than the US declaring that the "war on terrorism" will not end thus the detainees will not be released....

I've been disappointed by the amount of ad hominem (on both sides) in this thread. It's an interesting, and important, topic.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nice post
I think you have written an accurate summary.
And you are right in all other respects too.
-Mike
Expand Edited by Mike Jan. 28, 2002, 04:29:21 PM EST
New Hey Scott.
I've read this thread with some interest and I am not sure on which side I'd come down if pressed. However, I think it is the height of hypocrisy to use the fact that we are "At War with Terrorism" as an excuse to march mud all over the Bill of Rights, then 180 and claim that the captured terrorists we are at "War" with are not Prisoners of War.

For a dumb old country boy from North Carolina like me, this is difficult to follow. We are at "War", but the prisoners we take during the execution of that "War" are not, themselves, "Prisoners of War".
bcnu,
Mikem
New So crack dealers are POWs when arrested, right?
It is a War on Drugs after all.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Start a new thread.
How many years has that war been going on?

How much has it reduced the drug supply?
New Go ahead. We'd probably agree on its failure.
Doesn't change my point here.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New So.. where would the War on the Constitution go?
New As a plank in the Republican Platform I suspect.
New N.C. eh?
Have friends in Asheville. Was thinking.. should the Ashcroft Covenant extend a bit further, particularly after some next atrocity - such that,

When civil rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights.

In this strangest of all possible imaginary worlds (for some) we might possibly meet on the barricades or in the Molotov er Ashcroft cocktail fabs - no doubt located nearby them there stills.. in the Great Smokies (?)

Better to burn out than rust out cowering in suburbia, I say..

Ashton Yevtushenko
deja vu all over again strange bedfellows 42
Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..
New Have family in Asheville.
The Moffitts have been in Asheville a long time. Except that I think I only have two cousins still living there now. My dad lives just down I-40 in Old Fort, across the road from "Moffitt Hill" (named after my great-great-grandfather).

Asheville has always been one of my favorite towns. It lost quite a bit when 240 blasted through - it was much better when the only access was Tunnel Road.

bcnu,
Mikem
     The Taliban are NOT the Afghan National Army - (Mike) - (43)
         Re: Male-cow-dung!!! - (dmarker2) - (42)
             So what does or doesn't count as a national army? - (marlowe)
             Obligatgory nit-pick - (mhuber) - (1)
                 Re: Of course ... - (dmarker2)
             Hmmmmm - (Mike) - (38)
                 Simple. - (Brandioch) - (26)
                     Yes you are - (Mike) - (25)
                         That is so amusing. - (Brandioch) - (24)
                             Have to give him McVeigh.... - (bepatient)
                             For Christ's sake do some research. You embarrass yourself. - (Mike) - (22)
                                 It is not I who cannot read. - (Brandioch) - (21)
                                     Response - (Mike) - (20)
                                         No particular need to go farther - (Ric Locke) - (19)
                                             I think you misread Brandioch. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                 Nice post - (Mike)
                                                 Hey Scott. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                     So crack dealers are POWs when arrested, right? - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                         Start a new thread. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                             Go ahead. We'd probably agree on its failure. - (bepatient)
                                                         So.. where would the War on the Constitution go? -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             As a plank in the Republican Platform I suspect. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                     N.C. eh? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                         Have family in Asheville. - (mmoffitt)
                                             I have a request. - (Brandioch)
                                             I have to disagree as well.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                 Minor point - POW must be let go when War is over. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                     But.. how long might a War on Evil last? Hmmm? - (Ashton)
                                             Psych 101A now? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                 dis en zhin oo' os ness - (Ric Locke) - (3)
                                                     Ah well.. on That level - - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Oh, absolutely. - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                             Yes, I think it is that arcane.. - (Ashton)
                 Trouble with imagining that redefinitions work - (Ashton)
                 Re: Western nicities vs tribal reality - (dmarker2) - (9)
                     Disagree - (Mike) - (2)
                         Geneva Convention, Article 4, subsection 3. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                             Theres that loose definition again. - (bepatient)
                     Re: Western nicities vs tribal reality - (gtall) - (5)
                         Re: Western nicities vs tribal reality - (dmarker2) - (4)
                             Re: Western nicities vs tribal reality - (gtall) - (3)
                                 As you've broadened the arena, maybe I can agree - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Re: As you've broadened the arena, maybe I can agree - (gtall) - (1)
                                         Cackle.. cackle.. Ulp!.. chomp.. - (Ashton)

Well, I should say!
499 ms