IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not quite.
Saying politicians direct government scientists is like saying CEOs direct programmers. There's a connection, but it's very, very indirect. Don't confuse public policy statements with the work done by scientists.

I'm aware of incidents like [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/science/earth/29climate.html?ei=5088&en=28e236da0977ee7f&ex=1296190800&pagewanted=all|Hansen's]. And we know that scientists have biases just like everyone else. But good scientists aren't directed by politicians to find a particular result to support a particular policy. They're directed to investigate a problem and accurately report the results. Hansen's case, as I understand it, was a conflict between his appropriate role in reporting research results versus the perception that he was making policy statements for the government (something that isn't his role).

For example, the National Science Foundation funds [link|http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/progSearch.do?SearchType=progSearch&page=2&QueryText=&ProgOrganization=&ProgOfficer=&ProgEleCode=1530&BooleanElement=true&ProgRefCode=&BooleanRef=true&ProgProgram=&ProgFoaCode=&RestrictActive=on&Search=Search#results|climate research] even though the results may contradict the Administration's positions. It's similar in government labs. (Of course, politicians determine (in the broadest sense) what research gets funded. But they don't direct research outcomes.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New BLM in Alaska re-writing biology reports to suit the admin
clinton pro envirowaco any dissent written out and results suppressed, now stifling sensitive data on actual environmental issues.,
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     BullGore the Movie - (boxley) - (14)
         No attack from me. - (ben_tilly) - (8)
             was refering to the eurogogs :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Gah, read slashdot on this - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 oh, and who pays for the co2 advocates? - (boxley) - (5)
                     Nobody is free of self-interest - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                         who directs government scientists? Politicians - (boxley) - (3)
                             Not quite. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 BLM in Alaska re-writing biology reports to suit the admin - (boxley)
                             That is why I said in theory - (JayMehaffey)
         Canada Free Press is most definitely not CP - (jake123)
         A less biased source of information. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             point, what is the percentage of man made c02 releases - (boxley) - (2)
                 Let's see... 45 kB images. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Mount st Helens was 02.% ? -NT - (boxley)

Phrasers on STUN er SHUN!
61 ms