IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ah....shrug
he specifically related it to execution. I took the "Old Testament" to indicate that he favored "eye for an eye" or in this case "a death for a death."

It's a wonderfully crafted statement to indicate that he's pro-death penality and also indicate a strong religious believe to the religious community.

I didn't take it to indicate that he was pro-Leviticus/Exodus on everything else.

Although - asking him if he thinks it's okay to sell one's daughter into slavery (Exodus 21.7) would be interesting.
New Yeah. A fuller version of the quote gives more info.
[link|http://perseverando.blogspot.com/2006/02/im-old-testament-kind-of-guy-blue-laws.html|Perseverando]:

"I support the death penalty. I\ufffdm an Old Testament kind of guy. I understand that often the legal representation isn\ufffdt what it needs to be\ufffdbut if somebody killed my wife or killed my kids not only would I wanted to see them executed, I\ufffdd flip the switch\ufffd Criminals need to be treated for what they are, as criminals. I know a lot of people in the Democratic Party don\ufffdt necessarily agree with that\ufffd"

- Harris Miller

Yeah, the guy didn't get a fair trial, but I'll flip the switch anyway. :-/

The commentary on the quote is interesting.

It strikes me as another bit of pandering by Miller. Senators have little or no impact death penalty cases - they can only affect the law (if 49+ other Senators agree). Trying to rile up Bible Thumpers rubs me the wrong way.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I'll probably be voting for Webb in the morning. - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Ted Bundy? -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
             Eh? -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Maybe I misunderstood.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                     I can understand a Democrat being in favor of it. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         I think the socratic/platonic position is the correct one - (jake123)
                         Ah....shrug - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             Yeah. A fuller version of the quote gives more info. - (Another Scott)
         Must it all be so META? (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
         Webb won. - (Another Scott)