IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ted Bundy?
New Eh?
New Maybe I misunderstood....
but when Democrats often state that they against Capital Punishment...I ask them about Ted Bundy. (Maybe it's because I live in Florida)

Ted Bundy was the serial killer who seemed to specialize in escaping.

If they're honest about their position - they'll hold that Ted Bundy shouldn't have been executed. If they're weak on their position - they'll mumble something about exceptions.

Either way - the public gets an idea of the type of person he is.

And it works in reverse...how can a Democrat be for Capital Punishment? I look at Ted Bundy, Dahlmer, and others....and I understand completely.
New I can understand a Democrat being in favor of it.
Conventional wisdom in Virginia is that one must support the death penalty in state-wide races. I can understand him being a supporter of capital punishment. It's the "I'm an Old Testament kind of guy" remark that I find surprising. There are a lot of things in the Old Testament that this country does not go along with (e.g. much of Leviticus, and Exodus 21 which is the source of the "eye for an eye" stuff.). I wouldn't want someone representing me as a Senator who looks to Leviticus or Exodus for primary guidance on laws these days.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think the socratic/platonic position is the correct one
There's a very small group of people who aren't, in a certain way, really human, because they lack all conscience. They are dangerous, and after they've demonstrated that danger and been caught, there is no real alternative to either keeping them in prison until they die, or killing them, because they can't be fixed. You can't trust them, so those are the two choices on has in dealing with them. Call them sociopaths or wendigo, in essence it's the same thing.

That said, the vast majority of people who get executed on this continent and around the world don't fit into that particular set.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Ah....shrug
he specifically related it to execution. I took the "Old Testament" to indicate that he favored "eye for an eye" or in this case "a death for a death."

It's a wonderfully crafted statement to indicate that he's pro-death penality and also indicate a strong religious believe to the religious community.

I didn't take it to indicate that he was pro-Leviticus/Exodus on everything else.

Although - asking him if he thinks it's okay to sell one's daughter into slavery (Exodus 21.7) would be interesting.
New Yeah. A fuller version of the quote gives more info.
[link|http://perseverando.blogspot.com/2006/02/im-old-testament-kind-of-guy-blue-laws.html|Perseverando]:

"I support the death penalty. I\ufffdm an Old Testament kind of guy. I understand that often the legal representation isn\ufffdt what it needs to be\ufffdbut if somebody killed my wife or killed my kids not only would I wanted to see them executed, I\ufffdd flip the switch\ufffd Criminals need to be treated for what they are, as criminals. I know a lot of people in the Democratic Party don\ufffdt necessarily agree with that\ufffd"

- Harris Miller

Yeah, the guy didn't get a fair trial, but I'll flip the switch anyway. :-/

The commentary on the quote is interesting.

It strikes me as another bit of pandering by Miller. Senators have little or no impact death penalty cases - they can only affect the law (if 49+ other Senators agree). Trying to rile up Bible Thumpers rubs me the wrong way.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I'll probably be voting for Webb in the morning. - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Ted Bundy? -NT - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
             Eh? -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Maybe I misunderstood.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                     I can understand a Democrat being in favor of it. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         I think the socratic/platonic position is the correct one - (jake123)
                         Ah....shrug - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             Yeah. A fuller version of the quote gives more info. - (Another Scott)
         Must it all be so META? (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
         Webb won. - (Another Scott)

Home of the hash-slinging slasher!
45 ms