IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Time to replace my Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem?
Your modem is fine. The problem is the upstream power level. Something is wrong woth your cable provider's plant. I fought with mine for years. Nothing happened until the device in question deteriorated to the point that it screwed up TV as well as internet. Then they fixed it on a Sunday night.

You might try an RMS RDA-L1R drop amp. Nearly all drop amps are one way. This is one of the rare ones to boost in both directions. It will give you a 10 Db boost upstream, reducing the power level into the 40s.

It worked for me.

Kweisi
New Thanks for the followup - looks interesting.
My connection's been pretty good the last few weeks with no changes on my end. My ISP is having troubles today (it seems like DNS issues, but using Greg's DNS didn't help much), but otherwise it's been pretty good.

The RMS RDA-L1R looks interesting. If I have more problems I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks, and welcome!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Time to replace my Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem? - (Another Scott) - (20)
         FWIW - (imqwerky) - (17)
             Thanks Amy. More info. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                 I've had my SurfBoard since before - (folkert) - (9)
                     Thanks, Greg - (imqwerky)
                     Yours is screaming compared to mine. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         The OS and stuff is on the Help Page. - (folkert) - (5)
                             Ah, OK. Here it is. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Dread intermittent? - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Yeah. :-( - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         HAM Licenses... and other schtuff. - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Thanks. :-) I'll put it on The List. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     On cable amplifiers... - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Wiring outside. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     When we got cable internet they had rentals. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         The $44.95/mo. is the broadband internat part only. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Broadband is $39.95/mo for us. - (Another Scott)
             I've had a 4100 for 4 years. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Ditto -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Re: Time to replace my Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem? - (kweisi) - (1)
             Thanks for the followup - looks interesting. - (Another Scott)

Anytime I tell a client that "Oh no, those computers just change settings and delete things" instead of "You're a moron, and should be entrusted with nothing more complex than a crayon and an Etch-A-Sketch.", I'm lying.
76 ms