IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Wiring outside.
Outside wiring can definitely be an issue. When my RoadRunner service was establishe years ago, they could not make it work until they replaced the coax run from the distribution box to the house. Prior to this the phone company and the cable company took turns in cutting the other's cable. The patches to a cut coax cable were the problem introducing some signal reflections.

In Time Warner Cable's case the modem is theirs. The original was a Motorola CyberSURFR\ufffd Wave modem. This was before the DOCSIS cable modem standards came about. The modem worked for many years. When I started having connection problems, they replaced it with a Toshiba PCX2500 which meets the DOCSIS standard. So far so good.

I was not aware that some cable companies make you buy the modem. Are you paying less than $44.95/mo?
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New When we got cable internet they had rentals.
We got cable internet when we got digital cable so that we could get the baseball package (rabid Red Sox fan in the house ;-). They weren't giving the modems away - it was a $5/mo or so rental, so I just bought the SB5100 from NewEgg (it was about $58 at the time). I think they have deals now where they'll throw in the modem if you sign up for cable TV, internet, phone service and goblin protection or something of the sort.

Are you paying less than $44.95/mo?

Ha! I wish! :-) It's more than twice that outside of baseball season and probably approaching 3x that during baseball season. We do get HBO though (though we almost never watch it - the KnoppMyth box should help remedy that situation IF I EVER GET IT FINISHED!!!).

Cheers,
Scott.
New The $44.95/mo. is the broadband internat part only.
And that is with a $10 discount for having cable TV at all. My total bill including TV is around $95/mo.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Broadband is $39.95/mo for us.
Which isn't too bad, but my $19/mo dialup service was much more reliable. :-(

Our total bill to Cox this month is $128.84 which seems insane to me. (It doesn't include the baseball package.) But that's probably me being in old geezer mode - "I remember when a bottle of Coke was 10 cents!"

:-)

I guess if I can spend almost $17 on 3 hamburgers, fries and drinks tonight at Checkers, then $130 a month for cable TV and internet service isn't really that much...

I hope they're treating our friend William well.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Time to replace my Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem? - (Another Scott) - (20)
         FWIW - (imqwerky) - (17)
             Thanks Amy. More info. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                 I've had my SurfBoard since before - (folkert) - (9)
                     Thanks, Greg - (imqwerky)
                     Yours is screaming compared to mine. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         The OS and stuff is on the Help Page. - (folkert) - (5)
                             Ah, OK. Here it is. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Dread intermittent? - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Yeah. :-( - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         HAM Licenses... and other schtuff. - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Thanks. :-) I'll put it on The List. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     On cable amplifiers... - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Wiring outside. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     When we got cable internet they had rentals. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         The $44.95/mo. is the broadband internat part only. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Broadband is $39.95/mo for us. - (Another Scott)
             I've had a 4100 for 4 years. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Ditto -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Re: Time to replace my Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem? - (kweisi) - (1)
             Thanks for the followup - looks interesting. - (Another Scott)

Did she think she was going to land in the back of a Pier 1 truck carrying papa-san chairs?
66 ms