IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New auto fuse
I know nothing about cars. I have a 2001 Chevy Tracker. I found a 250V 8A glass fuse on the floor. It's not blown. Cant find where it goes- checked the fuse box under the dash, but that is full of blade type fuses. Where do the cylindrical fuses go? My AC stopped working, too- so I assume this fuse has something to do with the AC. (I did check the AC fuse under the hood and that one is fine). Can anyone help?
Follow your MOUSE
New It doesn't sound like a fuse for your truck.
Most cars run on 12 V DC. A 250 V fuse wouldn't work properly in such a system. You can check the A/C fuse under the hood and see its rating - I'd assume it's 12 V, maybe 20 A.

I think your air conditioner problem isn't related to that fuse.

In what way does your A/C not work? Does the fan not blow, or does the A/C compressor not engage, or does it not blow cold air out the vents? It could be lots of things (a switch problem, being low on Freon due to a leak, temperature sensors in various places not working properly, etc.).

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The AC is blowing hot air
Last time this happened the mechanic replaced a fuse, so I just assumed....

Well, I dont know where that fuse came from then. And I dont know what's wrong with the AC, so I guess I'll drop it off at the shop. I was hoping to avoid that. It's tough not having a car when I dont have a back up.
Thanks for your help.
Follow your MOUSE
New If it belongs to your car at all . . .
. . that sort of fuse is usually in an in-line holder, in other words sort of plastic lump on a wire. The lump is usually in two halves that lock together with a twist and if they came untwisted the fuse would fall out. They are most common for "add-on" equipment like radios but may be used for standard equipment too.

As for the 250V rating, what matters to a fuse is amps and they have very little resistance so voltage has a very small effect above fractional volts. Most glass fuses of that type are rated 250V regardless of the voltage of the system they're used in.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New D'Oh! Of course you're right.
One wouldn't use a fuse rated at 125 V in a 250 V circuit even if the current rating was appropriate. Why? Because when the fuse blows, it must be designed to contain the arc and melted metal. If a fuse is used at a voltage higher than it's designed for, it may not contain the melted metal and the arc when it blows. There's not a problem in using a fuse in a circuit at a lower voltage than it's rated for.

Thanks for the correction.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I poked and poked around under the dash
Didnt see any plastic lumpy twisty looking things on wires.
This is one of those times I miss having a man around the house.
Stupid car electronics.
Follow your MOUSE
New .22 caliber shells make the best fuses...
...watching entirely too much MythBusters these days. :-)
     auto fuse - (bionerd) - (6)
         It doesn't sound like a fuse for your truck. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             The AC is blowing hot air - (bionerd)
         If it belongs to your car at all . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             D'Oh! Of course you're right. - (Another Scott)
             I poked and poked around under the dash - (bionerd)
         .22 caliber shells make the best fuses... - (ChrisR)

Carpe per diem.
257 ms