IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New See Another Scott's comments about DC
If you have an at large vote for one spot, then it is just like having a very large district. Same benefits, same problems.

But if you have an at large vote for several spots, then large minorities will easily win one or more of those spots. If there are enough spots to vote for, then even small minorities have a good shot at it.

I happen to think that that's a good thing.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New must be missing something
"But if you have an at large vote for several spots, then large minorities will easily win one or more of those spots. If there are enough spots to vote for, then even small minorities have a good shot at it." if by at large, meaning people accross a geographic area, the majority, not the minority will always get their person.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Yes, you must :-)
For the simplest version, suppose that we have 15 candidates running for 5 spots. And everyone can only vote for one person.

Then a candidate that can draw the support of 20% of the population will manage to get a spot.

By contrast suppose that we had 5 races with 3 candidates each. Then the candidate who has 20% support across the board doesn't have a hope in hell of winning unless that support is geographically concentrated.

Proportionate voting schemes get a lot more complex than this simple one, but the upshot (demonstrated in practice in every country where they are used) is that minorities - even small ones - manage to get represented roughly in proportion to their popular support. The result is that instead of 2 or 3 parties that all look the same, there are many parties, each going after a different demographic.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New And then you can have NC's 12th Congressional district.
It looks like [link|http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/departments/scr/redist/redsum/NCSUM.HTM|this].
Known as the "I-85 district," the12th stretched 160 miles across the central Piedmont region of the State, for part of its length no wider than the freeway right-of-way.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New True dat, but...
with proportional voting schemes, gerrymandering goes away as an issue. So there is no incentive for creating such weird districts.

Cheers,
Ben
New doesnt work that way
"For the simplest version, suppose that we have 15 candidates running for 5 spots. And everyone can only vote for one person." that means either the repotard or the demotard depending on the makeup of the demographics of the entire region. Example, the anchorage school district had 7 seats 5 district 2 at large. The 2 at large were all usually the fundie whackjobs which are the largest voting block in the city. The districts were representative of the neighborhoods, fundie whackjobs from the wealthier areas and die hard demos in the poorer minority neighborhoods.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New How many "at large" votes does each person have?
If each person has 2, and each party is smart enough to only run 2 candidates, then the party with the most voters will get both slots.

But if each person can only vote for one at large position, then the party with an outright majority can't guarantee winning both positions.

In this form of proportional voting it is absolutely critical that either each person only have one vote, or that each person can vote multiple times for the same candidate. Otherwise the dynamics change a lot.

Cheers,
Ben
New if you have 2 at large seats ya have one vote for both seats
way it works here in america is one position, one vote.
thanx,
bill
New One vote per seat works IF
people are allowed to vote multiple times for the same person.

That's not how things are traditionally done in America, though.

Cheers,
Ben
New You OBVIOUSLY don't live in Chicago....
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New Problem is *not enough* at -large seats
If there's one seat, there's no difference between district and at-large. If there's two seats -- as in your example -- only the top two parties have a chance. Same as we've got now. I don't think the dynamics change significantly until you've got 5 or more at-large seats in one race.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Weird proposal to allow DC a vote in the House. - (Another Scott) - (26)
         Obviously setup to keep the balance. - (JayMehaffey) - (24)
             Permanently at large congress members could be good - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                 I don't like that idea. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     An at large must pander to the strident majority - (boxley) - (1)
                         ? That's not the way it works in DC. - (Another Scott)
                     I don't like it, either - (jb4) - (3)
                         who programs the computer? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             adminiScott! - (jb4)
                             The algorithm would have to be public - (JayMehaffey)
                 Making them all at large might be OK - (JayMehaffey) - (15)
                     Don't tell me...you're an Engineer, right? -NT - (jb4)
                     Alaska is a perfect example of why that doesnt work - (boxley) - (13)
                         See Another Scott's comments about DC - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                             must be missing something - (boxley) - (9)
                                 Yes, you must :-) - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                     And then you can have NC's 12th Congressional district. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         True dat, but... - (ben_tilly)
                                     doesnt work that way - (boxley) - (5)
                                         How many "at large" votes does each person have? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             if you have 2 at large seats ya have one vote for both seats - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 One vote per seat works IF - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     You OBVIOUSLY don't live in Chicago.... -NT - (jb4)
                                         Problem is *not enough* at -large seats - (drewk)
                         Which is why I don't both house to be that way - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                             Right now neither house has proportional distribution -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Looks less likely it'll happen this year. - (Another Scott)