IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Finally...
A Full Failure Mode.

A Hall-Effect Sensor Finally failed completely.

Mainly because I was getting spark, good enough to activate a timing light... (which thank you Katzer for reminding me to use it rather than the thumb and index finger method)

All four Spark Plugs were in fact sparking properly... afaics.

Well I had the wife cranking the motor while I was checking things, with the timing light. All of a sudden, it stopped flashing.

Only one thing can do that, when all other things are good. Crankshaft Sensor on the SIDE of the motor.

On-Board Diagnostics... First and ONLY Error Code is "11" no timing input from distributor. Well that means bupkiss on a Distributorless Engine... unless you translate it to "Spark Timing Device Input", which is the Crankshaft Sensor.

I got a known good Coil pack for a Case of Regular Mountain Dew and a box of Gatorade variety pack drinks.

Now, the Crankshaft sensor is $65 from the Dealership, $104 for the auto parts stores which suprisingly carry only a "premium" quality part, not an "economy" part. Though it is listed for $62, but flagged as Unavailable.

Haven't been to the Dealership yet, But I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have to buy a "connector" update again, for $27. (the third one if I do)

edit:
I also have to correct my statements. The Camshaft Sensor ONLY times the Fuel injectors. The crankshaft sensor times the spark. Up until Last night ~ 9PM, I was under the impression the car did not have a crank sensor. That impression was wrong.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
Expand Edited by folkert May 6, 2006, 10:42:13 AM EDT
New That'll do it
Kind of hard to check the sensor you don't know exists.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Is it back up and running?
inquiring minds want to know...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Yes for ~2 minutes, then Nope.
Now the Onboard Diagnostics are telling me every sensor is bad. MAP, IAT, Camshaft Sensor, Crankshaft Sensor, Coolant Temperature (of which the dealer is telling me that this sensor has failed about "3" times in the US, maybe I'm #4), The knock sensor, the Oxygen Sensor, the econd Oxygen sensor, the OMFGPWNED sensor, etc...

Every person I have talked to with a mechanic cert or background tells me, it is one of two thing.

1) The computer was going bad the whole time taking out the sensors, or just making believe they were bad. But is for sure now bad, in any case.

2) The Charging System is screwed and creating AC as well as DC, screwing up the computer. (cannot be, the alternator was removed and tested during the head gasket replacement) and I looked for AC on the output when disconnected... 50mV which is good just Saturday... while using a drilling motor to rotate it.

Well, I have a known good used replacement I can testing with. $65 if it blows up, or $65 if it works, $0 if it doesn't.

If it doesn't, I am towing the car to the junk yard... well yes a Junkyard, but a REALLY good mechanic works there... and he is from a great referral.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     Ok, this car has me stumped. - (folkert) - (33)
         Is it flooded? - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Well, no. - (folkert) - (2)
                 Water past a bad seal into the fuel pump? - (drewk) - (1)
                     Tried running it from a can of... - (folkert)
         hows the distributor look? (at both ends) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Distributor less. - (folkert)
         Not sure on the "died" part - (lincoln) - (3)
             if the timing belt is broken pop the cap on the distributer - (boxley) - (1)
                 I could also just pop a small plastic cover... even shorter - (folkert)
             Brand Spanking New, - (folkert)
         You're gonna hate me for this - (imqwerky) - (4)
             well, initially it was out of gas. - (folkert) - (3)
                 Pump not primed? - (Another Scott)
                 It was the one thing I didn't see mentioned - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Naah. He'd secretly drain the tank after the PFY filled it. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Did you short "the chip" - (bepatient) - (4)
             Or maybe the injectors - (hnick)
             Everything is functioning properly. - (folkert) - (2)
                 What will you tell him? - (drewk) - (1)
                     Probably the chat. - (folkert)
         Water pump/starter motor -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Response... - (folkert)
         Change the plugs and/or wires. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Okay. - (folkert) - (1)
                 do you get gas in the cylnders? Compression? -NT - (boxley)
         Finally... - (folkert) - (3)
             That'll do it - (drewk)
             Is it back up and running? - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 Yes for ~2 minutes, then Nope. - (folkert)
         After sending the car to a place I trust. - (folkert) - (3)
             Wow. I'll have to file that one away.. Keep that mechanic! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Agree with that...he's a keeper. Wish I had that guy. -NT - (bepatient)
             That's why I don't like modern diagnostics - (drewk)

This is to prove I can paint like Titian.
70 ms