IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So they can violate the rights of US citizens
and get away with it?

I suppose that next they will block access to MSN and Hotmail? Or how about they block access to Opera and iCab? How about blocking access to Yahoo and Google? Let's get rid of any web site that might compete with AOL, shall we? The Fox Network, UPN, and PBS, also blocked. Next thing you know, they will be burning any books that are not made by their parent company?

This is why I advocate people to leave AOL, and it has been proven that AOL does these things.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New They're not, though.
It's only a violation of your rights if you have no choice.

You don't like it, you choose another provider. Hardly a violation of anything.

(Although one might say that the sodding annoying adverts with that daffy woman are a violation of good taste)

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New That is like saying
to a woman that her rights are not being violated because she was sexually harassed at work, because she has a choice to quit that job and work someplace else. D'oh!

New Doh! back atcha Norm.
Try to understand. AOL provides a paid for service. You don't like the way they do that. You are free to not pay for it.

Nuff said.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New Customers and users still have rights
that is why there are people suing AOL. It is not just people getting ticked off because they got a busy signal for five hours to try and connect to the AOL service, so they put up an Anti-AOL web site.

Freedom of speech is more than just protection from the government.

[link|http://www.law.ucla.edu/faculty/volokh/harass/|Freedom of Speech Vs. Workplace harassment]

But anyway about people suing AOL:

[link|http://www.cnn.com/2000/LAW/06/25/aol.lawsuit/|Lawsuit against AOL for pop-up ads]

[link|http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/02/aol.lawsuit.02/|Disgruntled AOL 5.0 users seek $8B in damages]

[link|http://www.a-g-s.com/netaolp.htm|Join the class action lawsuit against AOL for violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act]

[link|http://seattle.bcentral.com/seattle/stories/1997/01/13/daily15.html|Attorneys file lawsuit against AOL for not proving the access it promised]

[link|http://personal.riverusers.com/~s/aolsuit2.htm|AOL execs accused or wire fraud and racketering]

Also:

[link|http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2435999,00.html|AOL's conflict with other ISPs]

Don't use it? Exactly my point, AOL should not be used. I won't use it, don't make me.

New Wow...there are some good ones there...
...like the lawsuit that says pop-up adds should be free time!

Lets take that to Comcast next...tell them they have to rebate me for 12 minutes of every cable hour for the last 25 years...

I'm about to retire now.

Your only right is your right to not use it. You are well within your rights at this time.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New You may have a point
if the cable company charges you per hour instead of per month. AOL, last I checked, had a rate that was per hour, and another that was per month. If you are paying $3/hr and it takes 15 minutes of your hour to look at pop-up ads, you might want a refund as well.

New Think.
...20% of television is ad time.

That would mean that the cable company is making double income for that time.

The lawyer in the AOL suit thinks thats illegal. (hint...its not)

Point...you linked to alot of spurious lawsuits and one good one. The one from 1997 when AOL subscriber growth outpaced the infrastructure.

I never had a problem connecting...but I did get something as part of the class action...I forget what the actual settlement was.

New Think again
With the exception of PBS, local TV stations are free to the consumer and paid for by the advertising. The consumer is not paying an hourly fee to watch the local news, or other programming. If they are, then you might have a point.

All the cable company does is rebroadcast the signal over their cable lines. They do not charge extra for this, it is part of their basic package. Or at least most cable companies are like that. Sometimes they replace the commercials from the local station with their own commercials. Like that Dog Food commercial gets replaced with the cable comapny's "Pay per view" movie ad.

I am glad that you got something for your troubles. Someone sending you email could have had it bounce, maybe at 2am in the morning, and maybe that person sending it was SPAMMING you, but still even if you didn't know about it, you could have had a loss in service. It was proven in court that a loss of service did happen, somehow your name got on their list as someone effected by it. Even if you got 35 cents, that is something for your time.

New Getting a little off base, aren't we?
I seriously doubt many AOL users have such a dependence on AOL access it would threaten their livlihood and survival to leave. Nor do I think there would be a long period of searching and rejection trying to get accepted by another ISP.

The ugly truth is, most AOL users became AOL users because AOL made it easier than anyone else. The vast majority of AOL users stay with AOL voluntarily, because the service suits their needs well enough. Some like the proprietary content, too. Some with other ISPs desire that proprietary content enough to pay $14 / month (recently raised) to access it without an AOL account.

A few, however, get in tiffs and show their psychological dependency on mother AOL by putting up bitter anti-AOL Web sites, just like an overly dependent spouse or lover when their partner gets tired of it and moves on.

If AOL doesn't suit you, don't use it. I don't. Many I know do.

And, incidentally, free speach is not an issue. The Constitution applies to government repression of free speach. "Censorship" is a "service" of AOL many appreciate. If you don't, they have no obligation to you. Use a different ISP.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Thanks AG...saved me some typing.

LA Times: AOL Negotiating to Buy RED HAT! - (Andrew Grygus) - (100)
         Nooo! Nooo! Nyet! Nine! Narf! Nunka! - (nking) - (49)
             Two things . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (47)
                 Oh like it helped Netscape, ICQ? - (nking) - (44)
                     Misconception . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                         That wasn't what I said - (nking) - (7)
                             Counter platform? - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Counter Counter Platform - (nking) - (4)
                                     Continued, Post-Monster Kids - (nking) - (2)
                                         OT: 5 hrs. at the mall Norm? Sheeesh! -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                                             Nope, 15 minutes at the mall, 4 hours at Grandma's house - (nking)
                                     Errrr . . Norm? - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Netscape and Mozilla - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Eh? - (pwhysall) - (34)
                         AOL whoas - (nking) - (33)
                             Re: AOL whoas - (pwhysall) - (32)
                                 if I had my choice between using AOL or not having Net - (nking) - (1)
                                     More about AOL - (nking)
                                 Excuse me...? - (jb4) - (29)
                                     Crap? - (pwhysall) - (28)
                                         Then stop genuflecting there... - (jb4) - (7)
                                             /me slaps jb4 about with a large trout - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 is that a seagoing, fresh water or racerack trout? me dux -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Given my history in the '70s... - (jb4)
                                                 /me slaps the Shill about with a large Cod - (jb4)
                                             Occham was all marketing... - (mhuber) - (2)
                                                 A more complex hypothesis - (nking)
                                                 ______________________S _Shhhhhhhh you fool.. - (Ashton)
                                         I've already proven that AOL is crap - (nking) - (19)
                                             You've done no such thing. - (bepatient) - (18)
                                                 Sure, I am not alone - (nking) - (17)
                                                     Why AOL Don't Suck - (pwhysall) - (16)
                                                         AOL does suck, McDonald's syndrome - (nking) - (13)
                                                             I see we are at that point... - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                                 I'll repeat myself again - (nking) - (9)
                                                                     Why bother... - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                         Oh really? - (nking) - (7)
                                                                             AOL keeps changing - (drewk)
                                                                             Really - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                 What can AOL provide that you cannot find on the Net - (nking) - (4)
                                                                                     Don't be sorry... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                         whether you like it or not - (nking)
                                                                                     Re: What can AOL provide that you cannot find on the Net - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                                         Oh really? Mark Two. - (nking)
                                                                 Peter, I see a quite larger reason to work against AOL - (Ashton)
                                                             Hey! Watchit! Leave the Cubbies outta this! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
                                                         By that...er, "logic"... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                             Re: By that...er, "logic"... - (pwhysall)
                 Monopolizing all electronic delivery on the net. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     The Reg wears differently-colored glasses - (Ashton)
             Actually, it might be better turned around the other way. - (static)
         Re: LA Times: AOL Negotiating to Buy RED HAT! - (a6l6e6x)
         Rumors anyway, anything proven? - (nking) - (1)
             Robert Young: "No Comment". - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Register speaks .... - (dmarker2) - (37)
             I don't get it. - (bepatient) - (36)
                 Re: You could well be right. - (dmarker2) - (35)
                     What happens after the AOl buyout - (nking)
                     Look at Mozilla - (Andrew Grygus) - (33)
                         This is my point. - (bepatient) - (32)
                             Not so - (nking) - (9)
                                 Re: Not so - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                     AOL trouble - (nking) - (3)
                                         Enough with the lemons, you two. - (static) - (2)
                                             We also forgot - (nking)
                                             One more lemon - (wharris2)
                                     AOL client has killed VPNs I've worked with before. - (imric) - (1)
                                         Thanks for your support - (nking)
                                     AOL has their own winsock that is incompatible with other - (boxley) - (1)
                                         AOL mucking up the OS - (nking)
                             BeeP, please see my post above - (Ashton) - (21)
                                 Sure... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                     Yes.. all true-ish. Sorta. - (Ashton) - (19)
                                         You seem to have a decidedly US-centric view... - (bepatient) - (18)
                                             You are making the distinction correctly - (Ashton) - (17)
                                                 Still... - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                     Censorship and freedom of speech - (nking) - (12)
                                                         AOL is under no obligation... - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                             So they can violate the rights of US citizens - (nking) - (10)
                                                                 They're not, though. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     That is like saying - (nking) - (8)
                                                                         Doh! back atcha Norm. - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                             Customers and users still have rights - (nking) - (4)
                                                                                 Wow...there are some good ones there... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                     You may have a point - (nking) - (2)
                                                                                         Think. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                             Think again - (nking)
                                                                         Getting a little off base, aren't we? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                             Thanks AG...saved me some typing. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                 Hmm, what about this - (drewk) - (2)
                                                     Nothing can legally be done 'to' AOL, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                         Of course it cannot - (nking)
         But what about SuSE? - (jb4)
         The Marti hypothesis - (kmself)
         In other words.... - (tjsinclair)
         CNET: No they ain't! - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             it just figures - (nking)
         User Friendly predicts the AOL/Red Hat results: - (Ashton) - (1)
             About right! :) - (nking)
         LRPD goes to the bottom of the rumours: - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Words of wisdom - (nking)

We could go on a quest!
103 ms