Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There may be country differences.
But the glycemic index numbers seem to depend on where you get them:

[link|http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm|Linky]:

Food List...........Rating.......Food Glycemic Index
*Snickers bar........Low...............40

Also, Mars is rather notorious for changing the size of their candy bars over time. But, as you noted, the site you reference [link|http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm|says]:

Basically, test foods are fed to various people, some with diabetes, others without, in portions that contain 50 grams of available carbohydrates. The 50 gram carbohydrate portion is specified in Dr. Wolever's methodology paper (see bibliography below) as 50 grams of available carbohydrates. "That means it excludes the fiber," Professor Brand-Miller writes me. "We have always used a 50 gram available carbohydrate portion and often relied on manufacturers to give us the composition data. I am aware of only one instance where we been given incorrect information and therefore inadvertently included the fiber in the 50 gram carbohydrate portion\ufffdbut there may be some papers from developing countries where the data is not reliable."

For example, to test boiled spaghetti, the scientists give their subjects 200 grams of spaghetti, which according to standard food composition tables provide 50 grams of available carbohydrate. The scientists compare this response with the volunteer's response to a reference food, which may be either glucose or white bread. Both for the test and for the reference foods the volunteer's response over the next two or three hours is calculated. Rather than measuring a single point, they make the more precise measurement of the area under the curve. Then, they repeat the whole process on different days to reduce the effect of day-to-day variations.

That seems a little weird to me. I don't think people eat that way, but I guess it's a way to compare different foods.

IOW, I dunno. Let your body tell you whether you're getting too much of whatever it is you're supposed to be controlling. If you need a blood glucose meter to do so, then that's an at-home option these days.

You might want to check [link|http://www.fineli.fi/topfoods.php?compid=2034&fuclass=all&specdiet=none&items=100&from=top&portion=100g&lang=en|this] page at Fineli too. It lets you check the available carbohydrate level in lots and lots of foods.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It seems the low glycemic foods have a benefits ove the high
even when carbs are the same. And since I don't plan on living
on Atkins the rest of my life, I figure I'll ease myself into
a healthier diet keeping the glycemic load in mind.

Even while on Atkins, I'm trying to be a bit healthier. Substituting
olive oil for mayo was today's change.

I had no intention of shaving hairs over the different candy bars,
since I won't be eating either. I just though it was interesting.
     Why is the "same" food healthier in Oz as opposed to USA? - (broomberg) - (19)
         Cause they dump more sugar in it over here? -NT - (jake123)
         There may be country differences. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             It seems the low glycemic foods have a benefits ove the high - (broomberg)
         All multinationals reformulate for local taste and . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         as Andrew said corn syrop vs cane sugar -NT - (boxley)
         Local regulations and regional manufacturing. - (static) - (13)
             Cane sugar vs corn syrup has to do with tariffs - (tonytib) - (12)
                 Which is why - (lincoln) - (5)
                     They make candy with sugar? - (drewk) - (4)
                         Some background - (lincoln)
                         Some more background - (lincoln) - (2)
                             buy the cane fields in florida and turn them back into swamp - (boxley)
                             Dropping tariffs would also help developing countries - (tonytib)
                 Then there's the Mexican Coke black market - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                     every bodega around here carries it. My preference also -NT - (boxley)
                     I prefer Dr. Pepper from Dublin for the same reason - (SpiceWare)
                     We bought a Mexican Coke at SuperTarget - (imqwerky) - (2)
                         What size was the bottle? - (lincoln) - (1)
                             16 oz -NT - (imqwerky)

Throw 'er into the POND!
41 ms