IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New expectations are a moving target
In 1994, following one of the rare eruptions of institutional funds to my little skunkworks, we got a pair of 8100s (near-twins: one with 144MB RAM and one with 208—a fortune in those days), and let me tell you, after what we were accustomed to (a Mac SE running 1MB RAM @ 8MHz and a Mac II running 5MB—four-fifths of these purchased on my dime at $45/MB—@ 16MHz), those babies screamed. The 8100/144 died late last year, and its bigger sibling is seldom used; when it is in operation I can practically eat lunch while it runs a Photoshop 3.0 filter, not that it's been asked to do so in living memory. Likewise the workplace 400MHz G3, with half a gig of RAM, pinned me to my swivel chair the first time I took it round the course. Today it's still an OS 9.2 workhorse, and will likely remain so until its noble, much-thrashed hard disk finally falters, but it pulls my brewery wagons, and I do not think of it and the Triple Crown in the same chain of free association.

And so the home machine—thou good and faithful servant; Nunc dimittis indeed!—which I welcomed here three years ago this very month with its processor upgrade and its gig of (ahem!) non-spec RAM (treacherous Panther! Treacherous Apple!), which once made my eyes water with its speed and responsiveness, will be decommissioned early in the coming month. In place of a 500MHz processor transplant I will have a 2GHz dual-core jobbie; in place of a 100MHz system bus I will see 667MHz. The RAM will be faster and doubled (I ordered with 1GB/1 module; have ordered from Crucial Tech a second module). The OS, and most of the applications I'll be running from home (the various Apple "i" suites), will be "Universal Binary," so Rosetta emulation will not be an issue. The others—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive— will likely perform at least as well on the new hardware under Rosetta as they did on this elderly G4 processor with its tissue rejection issues. Universal Binary editions of the Adobe suite should arrive presently, and will cost me about as much as I would have paid had I not stopped at (respectively) 7, 10, 2 and 6, suspecting even then that the beloved B&W was within sight of its end. I consider myself to have saved two generations of Adobe upgrades (the "CS-1" and "CS-2" suites), regarding which I'd formerly been quite conscientious over the years since 1987, which at about US $600 a pop may certainly be regarded as offsetting a significant fraction of the cost of the new machine.

And of course, given Apple's track record, and notwithstanding all the soothing words—charms against the dreaded "Osborne Effect"—you know and I know that Steve Jobs, that heartless rake, will [adult content follows, and as you know I rarely do this sort of thing, but the context does not merely permit but actually requires it] fuck his G4/G5 user base in the ass with a barbed-wire broomstick as soon as he thinks he can get away with it, so it seems prudent for the sake of my hemorrhoids to shimmy across that bridge-to-the-late-whatever-the-hell-we're-calling-this-decade before those first rectococcygeal thrusts draw blood, know what I'm sayin'?

I trust that I have explained my position (intended to minimize dorsal exposure).

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Easy for you to say.
But, once you load that sucker up and take it for a spin, give us a report.
Alex

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
New Yeah...
...but it's not like every current long-time Mac user doesn't know what's coming.

And it's for the best. IBM weren't taking the G5 in the directions Apple needed it to go.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     New beret will have Intel inside - (rcareaga) - (26)
         Whew! You're brave. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Not so brave as all that - (rcareaga)
             Should be fast enough - (SpiceWare)
         Sweet. Enjoy! -NT - (Meerkat)
         Set your expectations to, at best, G5 + 20 percent.. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             Wonder how multithreaded code performs - (SpiceWare)
             expectations are a moving target - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Easy for you to say. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Yeah... - (pwhysall)
         short rations indeed - (cforde) - (2)
             shorter than you think - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 ouch! I really need an upgrade myself - (boxley)
         Ouch! - (admin) - (11)
             The number of "show stoppers" is disgusting! - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 Shame on Apple too. - (admin) - (6)
                     AMD has issues too - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                         Over what period of time? - (admin) - (4)
                             In laptops? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 True, I was thinking more of the desktops. -NT - (admin)
                                 The way I've heard it... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     Your sources are dreaming - (tonytib)
             34 is pretty low, actually. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Immediately after release? - (admin) - (1)
                     before, actually - (SpiceWare)
         Slow boat from China - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Care to try out the HD samples when you get it? - (SpiceWare)

Strong in the elbows but weak in the knees.
43 ms