IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tickles my miniaturization fetish..
Love Tom's wise use of images and clear prose.. but it's s l o w at ~ 2.5K. Oh well.

Didn't see prices for the bare-bones nor the finished version they equipped. Could you offer any examples of parts cost for completed version ~ to theirs? 30 GB enough, 256 or 512, some P-III even <1GHz (I grok the problem with the Celerons in current mod). Yeah I know there's Google - but since you built lots..

This would be fun to assemble. I think I'd want a fancy temp-monitoring fan or two with at least LED readout. Gets Hot here and any fan failure would likely cost you the whole ball-o-wax, about the time you smelled it.. Shux, wish I knew about this before the e-Machine bargain last year; don't need games-grade graphics either. Hate to patronize SoundBlaster creeps though - guess no room on board for.. even utilitarian sound? :(

My guess is that it ain't cheap, but that more articles like this shall produce the volume necessary. Imagine this with a TFT 15-17" - iMac for the masses! 10# - the Otrona weighs 18.

Would you recommend a liquid-cooled heatsink for cpu, with exchanger outside the case? (ever played with those?)

Anyway - bein a hardware type, I think this would be great sport; maybe pass on my 600 MHz e-Machine after shakedown. I couldn't say I *need* it but.. I buy few new toys anyway. I like to wear stuff out just because. (My 15 yr. old Record-A-Call died last week; it earned its keep - new one about 1/5th the volume)

Cheers,

Ashton
sucker for tiny stuff
New Dunno if you could use a TFT screen...
... unless it was capable of decoding analog output.

The sound card takes up the only slot, and IIRC most flatscreens require you to use a card slot for a digital output. I could be completely wrong on this though, since I have no direct experience.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Sound is on-board, no slot required, and . .
. . there are flatscreens available that take analog input.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I'll have to check with my distributor.
I've never purchased any of these items.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New According to Newegg.com
[link|http://www.newegg.com/|about $250, search on their website for SV24] for the bare bones unit. Add in your P3 or Celeron CPU, hard drive, floppy, CD-ROM, RAM, keyboard, mouse, etc.

With:

17" SVGA monitor (Viewsonic)

20G 7200 RPM EIDE ATA-100 Hard Drive

1Ghz PIII CPU

512M PC133 DIMM SDRAM memory

Keytronic Keyboard PS/2

Logictec PS/2 Mouse

Sony Floppy Drive

Toshiba DVD-ROM

About $863 before taxes and shipping. Not too shabby. It might cost less with a 14" or 15" monitor, cost more with a 15" LCD monitor. I'd estimate between $700 to $1200 based on what you choose for the options. Price does not include a copy of Microsoft Windows. I figured you Linux and *BSD fans would apreciate that.

The only weak points that I see are that the built in video is not too good at 3D graphics, there is only one PCI slot, only two DIMM sockets, and you can only fit two drives inside the case.

It has built in Ethernet, built in TV ports, built in Firewire and USB ports, built in PS/2 and Serial and Parallel ports, built in SVGA video port, built in audio ports. Almost everything you need is on the Flex-ATX motherboard. Since it is Flex-ATX, it can easily be upgraded later.

Throw in an LCD screen, and it could be a competitor to the new iMac?

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Thanks.. ponder__mull__cogitate time
It's enough $ that I'd rather have a home arranged for present quite satisfactory setup (Thanks again, Norm! twas your tip on the e-Machine too).

OTOH.. once you install 98-lite and see how much less annoying it makes 98 -- I note a tendency to want to do it again before I forget all the chicken-shit details: use it or lose it!

'Course this one would have to dual-boot {sigh} meaning more lore.

Mull..

Ashton
and it's flat on top - look at all the books I can stack on it!
     The Shuttle mini-PC - (admin) - (26)
         Shuttle - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Tickles my miniaturization fetish.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Dunno if you could use a TFT screen... - (admin) - (1)
                     Sound is on-board, no slot required, and . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 I'll have to check with my distributor. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 According to Newegg.com - (nking) - (1)
                     Thanks.. ponder__mull__cogitate time - (Ashton)
         Kitchen PC - (Meerkat) - (18)
             I need something that fits in a narrow utility closet - (admin) - (17)
                 I assume you've considered 1U things. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Or a laptop, or a Mac LCIII :) -NT - (Meerkat)
                     Yeek! - (admin) - (4)
                         Hey, it's small. Sounded like U wanted something small. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Umm . . 19" wide x deep takes a lot of counter space. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Hmmm, world's smallest PC - (nking)
                                 Stand it on its side. It'll fit in a 6" wide closet? :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Get naked, cubed, or ARM... - (kmself) - (9)
                     Haven't decided if it's just a terminal or not yet - (admin) - (8)
                         Lin4Win over VNC - (kmself) - (3)
                             If you have a server for that :-) - (admin) - (2)
                                 Re: If you have a server for that :-) - (kmself) - (1)
                                     Nope. - (admin)
                         If a terminal - (nking)
                         How about one of these things. OEone. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             What I'd really like... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 That would be great - (nking)

That boy needs therapy.
138 ms