IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We forgot about Virtual Reality in the living room.
Thanks to the power of cluster software.

P.S. Can you expand on the topic of Bubble Memory. I am unfamiliar with the term.
New Bubble Memory
It was a technology that AT&T came up with before the breakup. My father used to talk about it, but hardly anything was done with it.

It is supposed to be smaller than conventional memory and hold more as well. It uses magnetism instead of electricity to hold the bit.

An official definition is:
A type of non-volatile memory composed of a thin layer of material that can be easily magnetized in only one direction. When a magnetic field is applied to circular area of this substance that is not magnetized in the same direction, the area is reduced to a smaller circle, or bubble.

After the breakup of AT&T, no more research was done on it. As a result it was too unpredictable and too expensive to use. Maybe if more research is done on it, it can come out in an affordable version?

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Main problem with bubble memory . .
. . was that it was a single sequential stream - like a looped recording tape. This made it very slow if used as a random access device. It was used in some devices where the sequential stream was appropriate, and I saw some bubble memory units in a surplus store quite some years ago.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Yup.. had (briefly) a Sharp 5000 laptop IIRC
with cute, not-so-tiny bubble memory modules. S l o w yes, but - so was the CPU - then. Think LCD screen was about 16 lines high.

Geetin senile - think it ran MSsssDOS 1.0, but mainly useless as tits on a board. But! - the bubbles indeed stayed in place with power off. Eventually swapped it off to a 'consultant' for another Otrona ;-)

A.
New nearly everything I learnt about bubble memory...
...came from the Dr. Who story 'Logopolis'. So it may well not be right :) The only big deal they made of it was it's non-volatility.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     Grid Computing. The next big thing? - (brettj) - (9)
         this is new? why do ya think they call it switch fabric in - (boxley) - (8)
             Here's what I did this weekend, and kicked a note to someone - (broomberg)
             Not new, just "soon to be" bigger, eh? - (brettj) - (6)
                 Add to the list - (nking) - (5)
                     We forgot about Virtual Reality in the living room. - (brettj) - (4)
                         Bubble Memory - (nking) - (3)
                             Main problem with bubble memory . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Yup.. had (briefly) a Sharp 5000 laptop IIRC - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     nearly everything I learnt about bubble memory... - (Meerkat)

If I bought someone a G5 and they did this to it, I'd break their face.
42 ms