IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dialup networking, what gives?
Background: Windows XP (home). I still use dialup networking.

Properties: Options: I've got the properties of a connection set to disconnect at 4 hours of idle time. (That may sound a bit excessive, but under older Windows I always seemed to get automatically disconnected at the most inconvenient times when I really was using the connection, as in games. Better safe than sorry.)

I've got the Redial if line is dropped option checked. If I lose a connection, I'd like to get it restarted with as little fuss as possible.

Unfortunately, this particular combination seems to cause Winblows XP to want to *always* maintain the connection. It *appears* to count the disconnect from idle time as cause to reconnect. Is this true? Someone tell me my brains didn't fall out my ear last time I slept.

The only other thing I can think of is that my ISP is disconnecting (after some time of idleness, that's understandable - but I've been idle for longer periods of time without losing connection) and that XP is reconnecting, and by reconnecting resetting the idle time counter.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New ISP disconnects
It depends on your ISP policy. Some disconnect after X minutes of idle connection, others after X minutes peroid (like 4 or 8 hours total max, then disconect), and still others are manned by a BOFH that sees if the user is downloading a large file and then disconnects them when it is halfway through or just before the last block is sent. Muhaahahahah!

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Not ISP
I'm not arguing about the ISP policy. Earthlink has a prohibition against "keep alive" programs, and I am not disagreeing with that. Me, I don't *want* to keep the connection alive.

I don't *want* to keep the connection alive if I've been idle for "X" (in this case four) hours. But The Damn Fucking Windows XP Dialup insists on reconnecting.

I hear the re-dialup. I don't *want* the goddamn forking dialup to be reconnected. That's the problem. When I fall asleep on my couch, as I did with the last boring Monday night football game, I am sometimes awakened by "titlkslkdfj" noise from my system dialing up my ISP.

I do not want this, and I do not know how to prevent this.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Use InJoy on your home network. Or, try Yonc. But it seems
to be a limitation of the Windows dialer.

[link|http://www.fx.dk/injoy/|InJoy] is a fabulous, flexible, fast, reliable dialer for OS/2. Simply setup Warp 3 Connect as your dial-out system, and use it's "IP Masquerading" feature to share that connection to your WinXP system.

Oh, you're not running OS/2 on your home network? :-P

Well, in that case, try [link|http://www.emtec.com/yonc/index.html|Yonc]. It's one of Markus Schmidt's utilites. He's the author of [link|http://www.emtec.com/zoc/features.html|ZOC] - a fabulous terminal emulator and SSH/SSH2 shell for OS/2 and Windows. Maybe it's more intelligent about setting the time-out and keep-alive settings than XP.

But it uses the Windows dialer so you may still have the same problems. And it says, "If your provider disconnects you after some time when you are idle, Yonc can simulate activity over your internet connection to keep you online. Alternately it can detect idle lines (or lines with low traffic) and disconnect them." (Emphasis added.)

So you may be being bitten by a limitation of the Windows dialer. You may indeed want to consider InJoy if you've got a spare 486 with a NIC and at least 100 MB of disk and at least 16 MB of RAM. Warp 3 Connect will run pretty well on such a beast if you tweak it - don't run the Workplace Shell, etc...

Otherwise, it looks like you're going to have to choose between redialing-on-drop and keep-alive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Linux and Diald should work as well.
It disconnects when not in use, and then reconnects as soon as another system requests an address from the Internet.

XP sounds like it does not have an option to turn off the reconnect. I haven't used it, due to fiancial concerns not allowing me to buy a copy. But I assume that there must be a way to do it?

Does turning off the redial feature fix it? If not, it must be another setting hidden somewhere? Try [link|http://www.annoyances.org/|Windows Annoyances] and see if they covered Windows XP yet. Good luck! If not, use their forum and ask your qustion there.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Thanks for the link
but I've not found any dialup networking issues there. No search, either. Oh well.
-- Donald Knuth
New Trouble I had with diald . .
. . was that I couldn't get it to stop dialing every time there was a NetBEUI on TCP/IP request, so it dialed about every two minutes. I presume there's a way, but I wasn't able to find it in the limited time I had to mess with it.

Never had that problem with InJoy.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Dialup networking, what gives? - (wharris2) - (6)
         ISP disconnects - (nking) - (1)
             Not ISP - (wharris2)
         Use InJoy on your home network. Or, try Yonc. But it seems - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Linux and Diald should work as well. - (nking) - (2)
                 Thanks for the link - (wharris2)
                 Trouble I had with diald . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Why, that looks so dangerous - I'm sure I'll learn something wonderful!
70 ms